Nine More Positive COVID-19 Tests in Iowa Athletic Department

Status
Not open for further replies.
A college campus is no more "relatively contained" than a very large apartment complex in any given city is "relatively contained". It's not. Not unless there some restrictions on to or off of campus.

And while you're correct that there is lower risk among that population, it's not zero risk. Any sizable university is going to have a percentage of students with risky medical histories and some students with no foreknowledge of medical conditions that may put them greater risk. Yes, you can mitigate that, but you can't eliminate it. There is still the risk of some deaths, and I can't imagine college students would be OK being used that way.

I get what you're saying. I do understand. But regardless of the population your talking about you're still essentially saying "You guys are going to have to take some bullets for everyone else. Some of you won't survive." That's still true even if you're talking about a younger population with less risk of death. There is still risk.

I'm not saying the idea is unfounded or without merit. But such a plan would still result in deaths and that can't be glossed over.
I appreciate the thoughtful response. There has not been enough of that around here lately, and this thread has been a good one.

I acknowledge there will be deaths. But, we are losing a 1,000 people a day as is and its getting worse. I am not saying we force these kids to be exposed. They can stay home, social distance, wear a mask, etc. but, I think if explained to them in the way we are discussing, they can make the choice and for the vast majority of them, this will be of no consequence.

We have to way the deaths with the other approach. You allow a slow burn on campus for 3 months and then send a lot of kids home to mom and dad with an active infection. There are no easy choices.

Some people are in the hospital for 4-6 weeks. They then get to go home with a ton of medical debt. One nasty virus indeed.

Thought the tab was getting picked up if proven COVID. Most people should have out of pocket maxes on their policies also, so if the bills total say $300k, their share should be capped on something a whole lot less if insurance or government not just covering the whole tab.

Thought the tab was getting picked up if proven COVID. Most people should have out of pocket maxes on their policies also, so if the bills total say $300k, their share should be capped on something a whole lot less if insurance or government not just covering the whole tab.

I hope so.

The increase in positive cases isn't a sign of a second wave, it's still the first wave. Simple math says as we increase testing, positive cases will rise. We are testing substantially more. Positive tests are a good thing. These people can quarantine and slow the spread. We have to find a way to coexist with this virus until a vaccine comes out or it dies off on its own. How this affects fall sports, I'm not sure. I also read above that it is getting worse. It really isn't. Yes, positive tests are on the rise due to testing, but deaths are declining on average nation wide and that, along with hospitalizations are the important stats

Last edited:

Aggressive response! LOL

Putting a finger in the dike, Gov.

Abbott has been in denial for months now. The trouble with this thing is that by the time you know you have a problem and try to start to act, you are much further behind the fight than you know. The worst is still very much in front of Texas.

Locally one of the very recent deaths was 38 years old. He had no health conditions. I would guess he was 5 10 about 200 pounds. Maybe a bit more. Was hospitalized May 11 and died over the weekend. 5hat I know of that's deaths of 2 thirty year olds one with health conditions and a 40 yo with no conditions.

Those who saw my post about the unofficial prom, it's spreading like crazy in my small town and has been linked to cases at a bank, Jimmy John's and a grocery store. The parents had attendees sign waivers.

Locally one of the very recent deaths was 38 years old. He had no health conditions. I would guess he was 5 10 about 200 pounds. Maybe a bit more. Was hospitalized May 11 and died over the weekend. 5hat I know of that's deaths of 2 thirty year olds one with health conditions and a 40 yo with no conditions.

Those who saw my post about the unofficial prom, it's spreading like crazy in my small town and has been linked to cases at a bank, Jimmy John's and a grocery store. The parents had attendees sign waivers.

And this does happen with regular flu also. Young healthy people sometimes die from it. Every season.

We are quickly moving to the postponement of the 2020 football season, as well as the 2020-2021 basketball season.

The increase in positive cases isn't a sign of a second wave, it's still the first wave. Simple math says as we increase testing, positive cases will rise. We are testing substantially more. Positive tests are a good thing. These people can quarantine and slow the spread. We have to find a way to coexist with this virus until a vaccine comes out or it dies off on its own. How this affects fall sports, I'm not sure. I also read above that it is getting worse. It really isn't. Yes, positive tests are on the rise due to testing, but deaths are declining on average nation wide and that, along with hospitalizations are the important stats

You better look at some real data. Your argument that new cases are increasing primarily due to more testing has no statistical support. Some impact? Of course. Real villain? Re-opening and irresponsible, uncontrolled behavior. CDC says real numbers may top 20,000,000 infected people.

I thought only the obese died?

Herd immunity is great for some, but we can all kiss grandma and grandpa good bye. If we're OK with that then let's all go out in public without masks and party.

Probably about 90% of the experts are against encouraging herd immunity the rest are Fox News contributors. Keeping the rate of infections under control is mostly about keeping ICU room and staffing needs under capacity. So when a biker not wearing a helmet is in an accident, there is a bed for him.

Keeping the infections down, bad illness and follow on complications down in numbers, and keeping deaths down is a big goal and then we hope in 3, 6 , 12 months there are therapeutic cures and or a vaccine.

Some steroids have been helping with the inflammation that causes a lot of the breathing problems and a couple more things like antibiotics against pneumonia and some other cocktail meds would be a great discovery.

I appreciate the thoughtful response. There has not been enough of that around here lately, and this thread has been a good one.

I acknowledge there will be deaths. But, we are losing a 1,000 people a day as is and its getting worse. I am not saying we force these kids to be exposed. They can stay home, social distance, wear a mask, etc. but, I think if explained to them in the way we are discussing, they can make the choice and for the vast majority of them, this will be of no consequence.

We have to way the deaths with the other approach. You allow a slow burn on campus for 3 months and then send a lot of kids home to mom and dad with an active infection. There are no easy choices.
Actually it has been well under 1,000 a day for much of June.

Now that confirmed cases are spiking in several states it will be interesting to see if death tallies spike accordingly. But it has already been proven that Covid has not been the cause of death in many of the instances that state otherwise and I still believe there is a massive amount of unconfirmed cases, as well as cases that occurred in the fall of last year when nothing was shut down.

Actually it has been well under 1,000 a day for much of June.

Now that confirmed cases are spiking in several states it will be interesting to see if death tallies spike accordingly. But it has already been proven that Covid has not been the cause of death in many of the instances that state otherwise and I still believe there is a massive amount of unconfirmed cases, as well as cases that occurred in the fall of last year when nothing was shut down.
The CDC estimates that actual active cases could be as high as 10x the confirmed number, or around 25 million.

The CDC estimates that actual active cases could be as high as 10x the confirmed number, or around 25 million.
If that's true and it's true that a human develops antibodies fter an infection then that's a lot of dead ends for a virus that wants to spread.

Here's what we don't know, and won't know for a long time. Even if asymptomatic people recover right away today, what about potential heart and lung damage that may not show up for twenty or thirty years?

Still a ton of unknowns out there.

Keeping the infections down, bad illness and follow on complications down in numbers, and keeping deaths down is a big goal and then we hope in 3, 6 , 12 months there are therapeutic cures and or a vaccine.

Some steroids have been helping with the inflammation that causes a lot of the breathing problems and a couple more things like antibiotics against pneumonia and some other cocktail meds would be a great discovery.
You mean like bourbon?

I would be all in for that. Actually I don't drink much hard liquor, especially whiskey. I would have to settle for malted barley hops.

If that's true and it's true that a human develops antibodies fter an infection then that's a lot of dead ends for a virus that wants to spread.

Here's what we don't know, and won't know for a long time. Even if asymptomatic people recover right away today, what about potential heart and lung damage that may not show up for twenty or thirty years?

Still a ton of unknowns out there.
An early and notably small study suggests that meaningful antibody levels may only persist for 2-3 months. If proven to be true in subsequent studies, that could prolong the ability to slow this down since it won’t likely be a one-and-done thereby making herd immunity tougher to attain. I’m still waiting further follow-up data on the incidence of stroke attributed to the virus as originally reported in the New England Journal of Medicine. Hoping to get more information on that in the next few months. So much still unknown, indeed.

Herd immunity is great for some, but we can all kiss grandma and grandpa good bye. If we're OK with that then let's all go out in public without masks and party.

Herd immunity typically requires that 70 to 90 percent of the population has immunity. The more contagious the disease the higher the percentage needed. Now, you do start to get some curtailment at percentages well below this, but we are talking about most people either must be immunized or exposed to the disease. Even if the great majority of them do not require hospitalization, that is still a huge number of sick people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts