Nick Toon before McNutt????

I'm trying to figure this out...especially being a Vikings fan, who some how decided to take 2 Arkansas wide receivers in round 4 over McNutt. With THREE Arkansas WR's coming off the board in Rd 4.

Marvin Mcnutt 2012 NFL Combine Results - ESPN

Greg Childs 2012 NFL Combine Results - ESPN

Jarius Wright 2012 NFL Combine Results - ESPN

Joe Adams 2012 NFL Combine Results - ESPN

Measurables are all the same, except Wright is much faster than everyone else. Childs, with 21 catches last season...really? This is odd.

Speed is a must and that's def not his strong point. Its actually not a huge shock to see him fall this much.

Speed is way overrated by fans at the receiver position.

Unless you are Mike Wallace fast speed is not whats going to get you open. Corners are always going to be faster, "speed" is not the issue, its quickness.

McNutts forty time is pretty standard for the NFL. Its his lack of ability to get separation on good corners is whats hurting him, but speed is not what gets separation most of the time.

McNutt will make a good receiver because of his size and ability to adjust to and catch the ball but he has some work to do in getting better at separation. Still given the trend towards bigger pass catchers Im surprised he fell so far.

You'd think this would make people realize they may have a bias since he wore black and gold. Great Hawkeye, but may never amount to anything in the NFL. Doesn't have top end speed, isn't overly athletic or agile based on NFL comparisons, struggled mightily against top caliber corners.

There are plenty of WRs who are physically more talented than Marvin who never amounted to anything in the NFL. Marvin has already exceeded every WR expectation of him by becoming arguably the best WR in Iowa history after being recruited as a QB.

Just doesn't have a lot of NFL upside. Deal with it.

Ok then please explain to my what makes Nick Toon a better NFL prospect than McNutt since you seem so full of knowledge. McNutt is just as fast, taller, larger hands and I didn't look at Toon's college stats but I have a hard time believing that his stats trump Marvin's. Marvin is a great blocker, he has great blockout capability, great hands, and a good guy to have in the locker room. Since you're so good at telling us why Marvin should not be picked by an NFL team, explain to us why Nick Toon should or why Nick Toon is a better pick.

McNutt has 3 years of tape showing drops and fumbles to go with the acrobatic catches. Maybe he should've done a better job hanging onto the ball.

Ok then please explain to my what makes Nick Toon a better NFL prospect than McNutt since you seem so full of knowledge. McNutt is just as fast, taller, larger hands and I didn't look at Toon's college stats but I have a hard time believing that his stats trump Marvin's. Marvin is a great blocker, he has great blockout capability, great hands, and a good guy to have in the locker room. Since you're so good at telling us why Marvin should not be picked by an NFL team, explain to us why Nick Toon should or why Nick Toon is a better pick.

I'm not going to say he does or doesn't, because I don't know, but perhaps Toon has better separation skills? That'd be a deal-maker in a straight up comparison of McNutt and Toon.

And it's hardly fair to compare stats. Wisconsin passed a more this year, but Toon also missed time. And before this year, Iowa could have looked like the Patriots next to Wisconsin.

I actually have a bigger beef w/Devier Posey being picked so high. Dude dropped as many balls as he caught and -- iirc -- had quite a few character issues along the way, as well...

I get it that we are all Iowa fans but McNutt is not that good of a wide out. Everyone needs to relax he got drafted very good for him

Speed is a must and that's def not his strong point. Its actually not a huge shock to see him fall this much.

Speed compared to whom? Several high-round WRs are faster than Marvin, but the following players drafted ahead of him had the same or SLOWER 40 times, and all of them had slower 20-yd-shuttle times (McNutt's was among the best at the combine):

Wright (1st round)
Quick (2)
Randle (2)
Posey (3)
Sanu (3)
Adams (4)
Toon (4)
Childs (4)
Coale (5)
Criner (5)
Cunningham (6)

Marvin also tied for the largest hands. Plainly speed was NOT the problem. I lean more towards the separation issues, but McNutt has obvious upside there given his relative lack of experience. NFL drafters are conservative about that sort of thing, preferring to go with what they can see on tape (the bird in hand). I anticipate barring injury that McNutt will do very well in the league, and look forward to throwing this thread in the face of a few people... :)

Speed compared to whom? Several high-round WRs are faster than Marvin, but the following players drafted ahead of him had the same or SLOWER 40 times, and all of them had slower 20-yd-shuttle times (McNutt's was among the best at the combine):

Wright (1st round)
Quick (2)
Randle (2)
Posey (3)
Sanu (3)
Adams (4)
Toon (4)
Childs (4)
Coale (5)
Criner (5)
Cunningham (6)

Marvin also tied for the largest hands. Plainly speed was NOT the problem. I lean more towards the separation issues, but McNutt has obvious upside there given his relative lack of experience. NFL drafters are conservative about that sort of thing, preferring to go with what they can see on tape (the bird in hand). I anticipate barring injury that McNutt will do very well in the league, and look forward to throwing this thread in the face of a few people... :)

Thank you for doing the research that backs up my point. Lack of speed is a figment of Iowa fans imagination despite that fact that the numbers almost always say otherwise.

NFL evaluators are always right other than the thousands of times they are wrong.

Last edited:

Wright (1st round)
Quick (2)
Randle (2)
Posey (3)
Sanu (3)
Adams (4)
Toon (4)
Childs (4)
Coale (5)
Criner (5)
Cunningham (6)

Toon and McNutt had the same 40 time, so that's being a bit disingenuous. Also, a number of those WR's didn't run the shuttle, which is also misleading based on your statement.

For the measurable stats available Toon and McNutt were remarkably similar, which were 40 time and vertical.

At any rate, regardless of stats...people have to remember that the draft isn't just about measurables, so taking the stats from the Combine and lining them up based on where people got drafted is a narrow-minded approach to evaluating it.

Latest posts