Nicholas (Nico) Law confirms commitment

HawkeyeRyno

Banned
He is a good one and probably immediate impact player at Safety (Greenwood's position) - 6'3", 190

"Aight check this out I'm not going to decommitt I'm sticking with the #hawkeyes! I made up my mind Maryland isn't for me.Thank Yu everyone!"

I think he is one of the best recruits so far in this class. Very underrated and good pick up for the hawks.

It really speaks to the power of twitter and everyone wanting to be their own celebrity when a guy tweets to announce that he is committing to his commitment.

It really speaks to the power of twitter and everyone wanting to be their own celebrity when a guy tweets to announce that he is committing to his commitment.

Right?
"Ima go on facebook and confirm a tweet from earlier."
What? Derp.
Paint me SICK of the brain barf of america's youth. Cripes. :mad:

Did anyone see Marcus Grants tweet a while back after the Minny loss: "7-5 that's 5 more reasons why I will be attending Iowa. Don't avoid challenges. Only makes u stronger"

I don't use Twitter myself (though I did follow DJK before he had to shut it down. His stuff was just pretty damn funny!), but I don't see a problem with people who do. The only thing that REALLY turns me off about using it is the name. That just sounds girly.

But Facebook, Twitter, etc. are great ways for people to stay connected. None of my high school friends came to school here in IC. My three best friends currently go to school at New Mexico, Mizzou, and Trinity College (just outside of Chicago). I don't see them except for breaks, and those breaks don't always match up. So Facebook is awesome for me, because I can easily keep up with them, and them with me.

So it's not hard to see why the players might like using it, especially those that are from out of state.

Fair enough but you sound like someone who still lives with their parents.

Nice.

In reality, I'm someone who understands that generational change is going to happen. As a manager, mentor and leader we must understand that different generations have their own norms. We must set boundaries while at the same time allow them to express themselves. Todays world is dominated by technology, instant media, instant information and informal communication styles. Right or wrong the change is going to happen. We don't have to embrace these new ways but when you try and limit the kids, in this case athletes, they will either revolt or simply not come to your program.

Nice.

In reality, I'm someone who understands that generational change is going to happen. As a manager, mentor and leader we must understand that different generations have their own norms. We must set boundaries while at the same time allow them to express themselves. Todays world is dominated by technology, instant media, instant information and informal communication styles. Right or wrong the change is going to happen. We don't have to embrace these new ways but when you try and limit the kids, in this case athletes, they will either revolt or simply not come to your program.

Understand and appreciate your points, but after some of the tweets that have made press this year, I would be willing to bet that more coaches will follow Kirk's lead on this.

Right?
"Ima go on facebook and confirm a tweet from earlier."
What? Derp.
Paint me SICK of the brain barf of america's youth. Cripes. :mad:

Paint me sick of old people who live in the past.

God forbid new ways of communication evolve.

Let me guess, its just "brain barf" because you don't understand it?

Some people...:rolleyes:

Just like the people before them that thought television was just some cockamamie fad. And that cars would never surpass horses. And the people that...........you get the picture lol.

Understand and appreciate your points, but after some of the tweets that have made press this year, I would be willing to bet that more coaches will follow Kirk's lead on this.

Actually I see it the opposite way. I'm sure that Facebook scared a lot of coaches when it first took root (I still remember some of the things from the wall of Stormin' Norm Parker's School of Blitz back in like 2004), but you can't stop a freight train. I think the sooner the coaches learn to deal with new technology, the better off they'll be. They just need to make it abundantly clear that anything on Facebook or Twitter that could damage the team or the team's reputation will result in a minimum one-game suspension. Put that fear into the players and they'll watch their words more closely.

Actually I see it the opposite way. I'm sure that Facebook scared a lot of coaches when it first took root (I still remember some of the things from the wall of Stormin' Norm Parker's School of Blitz back in like 2004), but you can't stop a freight train. I think the sooner the coaches learn to deal with new technology, the better off they'll be. They just need to make it abundantly clear that anything on Facebook or Twitter that could damage the team or the team's reputation will result in a minimum one-game suspension. Put that fear into the players and they'll watch their words more closely.

This. Exactly.

Presuming the "89" in your screen name is the year you graduated from Iowa, that puts us a whopping two (2) years apart in age. :D
Are you "old"? I'm not! :p
I have no problem understanding all of the brain barf from the youngsters. It's the wholesale butchery of the English language that bothers me. It's emblematic of the dumbing-down of this country.
It's no surprise that we rank so low versus other developed nations in academics.

Latest posts