Nice win but...

Basketball is such a day to day sport. How we played last night has nothing to do with how we will play in the future. Against Illinois we might clamp down on defense and throw up bricks all night. Just gotta keep finding ways to win.
It is difficult to defeat any team that is making a ton of 3 pointers, even a team that you "shouldn't" lose to.

PSU is athletic, and decided to attack Iowa, and take their chances with the three pointers. It almost worked, but didn't.

Any road win in the conference is a big win.

Iowa was straight up not defending a few PSU guys on the perimeter last night. Last season I think that was because of mental lapses and not clicking together on team defense, last night, several times it was by design.

We really didn't have a chance to set our half-court trap, soft and hard because we missed quite a few shots and they brought the ball downcourt quickly whether or not we made a basket.....

And for a while, it certainly seemed that they made almost every three they tossed at the bucket,,,,,

When it counted, at crunch time, we tightened things up and the pressure was on the kittens and they folded. The Bohannon Three slammed the coffin shut.....

Paybacks are a MFer

:cool:

It is difficult to defeat any team that is making a ton of 3 pointers, even a team that you "shouldn't" lose to.

PSU is athletic, and decided to attack Iowa, and take their chances with the three pointers. It almost worked, but didn't.

Any road win in the conference is a big win.

There it is.....

The one thing I hated about last night was how our post defenders kept stepping too far up into the lane leaving a wide open dunk behind them. That looked way too much like last year. The open 3s didnt really bother me much.
This. If we’re leaving the perimeter open because normally P-State sucks from beyond the arc, there should be compaction in the middle and fewer chances for layups and dunks. Instead, we saw far too many of those last night.

This. If we’re leaving the perimeter open because normally P-State sucks from beyond the arc, there should be compaction in the middle and fewer chances for layups and dunks. Instead, we saw far too many of those last night.

Yeah, but Stevens went 4-18 (0-5 from three), so it's all good. :)

Huge win, imo. ANY BIG road win is huge. Especially without a legit pro prospect. Especially against a team hungry, and due, for a win.

Agreed that any road win is a big win. This feels like the type of game Iowa often loses in years past. So I'm hoping that toughness is here to stay. If so, then this team should make the NCAA Tournament.

Yes, there were some defensive breakdowns. But no team always plays their best - if you can play at less than your best and still win, that's a good sign IMO. Especially in road games. Just get back to work and turn in a better defensive effort next time out.

When you’re a top 25 team you’re gonna get everyone’s best. The bad teams will try for the upset and the good teams won’t over look you. Great teams find a way to win every good team gets tested glad they held on. Bring on Illinois go hawks!

... it came despite our improved individual and team defense taking long stretches off. We had a tough time clamping down on one of the worst teams in the conference. P-State was able to drive through our zone defense untouched at times or get wide open looks at the basket. We didn't disrupt their attack often enough.

P-State makes one or two of those wide open 3s, JBo misses that big 3 at the end, we may well have been lamenting another close loss on the road instead of a win.

We also didn't get to the free throw line on par with other games, suggesting we weren't as aggressive on the offensive end.

That won't fly against better teams.
Glass half empty eh? This was a game we would have lost last yr. Your right the D wasn't any good. Till the last 2-3 mins of the game when it really mattered. We executed down the stretch of a close game. PSU is better than their record too. No shame in winning that game how they did. Do we have room to keep getting better you bet. But man the two games prior we only gave up like 63 and 62 pts in. Having a game like this on the road and winning it is still something to be happy about. Would rather win ugly than lose pretty every time

If I got McHale'd I'd lose mine, too. :)

Garza got rejected by Watkins several times. He tried a different way to skin the cat and succeeded.
McHale'd is the perfect analogy for it. They had a good battle all night both getting the better of the other at times. Post play is fun to watch when it's played like that. Nothing dirty about it both played hard.
What was the magic word on what got Garza Td up? That surprised me a lot.

McHale'd is the perfect analogy for it. They had a good battle all night both getting the better of the other at times. Post play is fun to watch when it's played like that. Nothing dirty about it both played hard.
What was the magic word on what got Garza Td up? That surprised me a lot.
Yeah. I’m curious about that, too.

Haters are gonna hate! The goobers got the leather goods last night (belt in the mouth and a boot in the a$$) from the fightin Ill-lie-nye!

The defense sucked, we won. It was like last year's Michigan State game in reverse. We found a way, like Izzo, Beilien and Painter do so often. Like Bo Ryan used to.

I'll take finishing on an 8-0 run anytime. Garza made a huge shot, Bohannon a huger one, and we got two stops. In fact, we made them look completely discombobulated.

Check out a typical Izzo final four team and I guarantee you will find half a dozen nights like this where they were on the ropes and found a way to win. Our issue, as fans, is we are so used to losing these games we don't know how to react when we win.

Enjoy the wins. Let the coaches worry about the flaws.

It didn't even seem like he was yelling at the PSU player he was quite aways from him by then I thought. It seemed like he was yelling to himself like lots of kids do after they make a play. I wonder what he said and what they told Fran because I'm sure he asked at the time what gives...

It didn't even seem like he was yelling at the PSU player he was quite aways from him by then I thought. It seemed like he was yelling to himself like lots of kids do after they make a play. I wonder what he said and what they told Fran because I'm sure he asked at the time what gives...

Last night, it was mentioned on Twitter that Garza told the Penn State defender could not guard him. The DM Register reporter posted this later. Ironic that the lack of crowd hurt his case. :)

Robowe posted this in the game thread:

Cody Hills@ByCodyHills

“He can’t guard me, expletive” is what the ref just said to the BTN announcers courtside in explanation of Garza’s technical.

Outrageous

How is that a T able offense compared to what all else is being said all game long. I bet JBo hears the other teams saying that every single game to him all the time. So what? If another 4 letter word for poop was the expletive then good lord let's not treat these guys like middle schoolers. If he was yelling that at the guy in his face... Then ok but that wasn't the case at all.

Robowe posted this in the game thread:

Cody Hills@ByCodyHills

“He can’t guard me, expletive” is what the ref just said to the BTN announcers courtside in explanation of Garza’s technical.

Outrageous

Good grief the B1G must have snowflakes for officials.

Thirty years ago New Mexico and UTEP were battling for the top of the WAC. In one of their games Miner power-forward Greg Foster threw a nasty elbow at Lobo center Luc Longley. "That wasn't very sporting, Foster!" Longley complained in his natural Australian dialect. "F you" Foster shot back, loud enough to be heard around the floor.

Nothing called. Play on!

Good grief the B1G must have snowflakes for officials.

Thirty years ago New Mexico and UTEP were battling for the top of the WAC. In one of their games Miner power-forward Greg Foster threw a nasty elbow at Lobo center Luc Longley. "That wasn't very sporting, Foster!" Longley complained in his natural Australian dialect. "F you" Foster shot back, loud enough to be heard around the floor.

Nothing called. Play on!
Those late eighties UTEP teams were some of my favorites to watch back in the day. That 1987 second round game vs the Miners was an instant classic. Even more so because we won. Lots of athleticism on the floor that night. And one of Roy Marble's finest hours in a Hawk uniform.