Nice win....but,

I find the discussion of 'settling' from a fan's perspective interesting. The concept of 'settling' generally has negative connotations, however it is most often used in the context of something that can be controlled such as a career path, love life etc. As Hawkeye FB fans, 99.9%(the excpetion being the Boone Pickens and Phil Knight types) of us have absolutely no control over what happens to our team. I think being a fan is a lot more fun when we try to find the positive vs the negative. I can at least understand the meltdowns that occur after a loss like MN but today we stopped one of the best rushing offenses in the country and beat the all-time winningest college FB program for the 3rd consecutive time! We should all savor this day. I will save my critical thinking skills for my professional life where I have some control of the outcome. For those that think that we have 'settled' the last 10 years with KF & Co I recommend that you become superfans of the UConn womens basketball team. They almost never lose and the games are rarely even contested. It will be better for your health.

Good post OP. Until Iowa wins a National Title fans, players, and coaches should never settle. Anyone else is a fool.

You know that KF and KOK can call the perfect play and it still does not work,right guys? Football is a great second-guessing game,we get it. Unless every play is a td,something went wrong on that play. I thought KOK called a great game,but not every play worked...did not matter,all he can do is call the right play.

Hawks played with great heart today,and willed themselved to a season-saving victory,hopefully. Every Saturday is a new day,just ask Nebraska. Iowa has a pulse,and now needs to bring it again for the MSU game...
Meanwhile Dom Alvis sacrificed his body to entertain Iowa fans today...and I for one,want to thank him for his efforts. Surgery is never pleasant,and he has that staring him in the face. So maybe hawkfans can stop complaining once in awhile to just smell the roses,and appreciate the efforts of the young guys to entertain us.

Well done,Hawks! Down goes Blue!!

You know that KF and KOK can call the perfect play and it still does not work,right guys? Football is a great second-guessing game,we get it. Unless every play is a td,something went wrong on that play. I thought KOK called a great game,but not every play worked...did not matter,all he can do is call the right play.

Hawks played with great heart today,and willed themselved to a season-saving victory,hopefully. Every Saturday is a new day,just ask Nebraska. Iowa has a pulse,and now needs to bring it again for the MSU game...
Meanwhile Dom Alvis sacrificed his body to entertain Iowa fans today...and I for one,want to thank him for his efforts. Surgery is never pleasant,and he has that staring him in the face. So maybe hawkfans can stop complaining once in awhile to just smell the roses,and appreciate the efforts of the young guys to entertain us.

Well done,Hawks! Down goes Blue!!

Great post JH. It amazes me the way posters on here will blame play calling and coaching for absolutely everything. The opponent may have called a perfect D against the play, or an individual opposing player may just make a play, or maybe one of our players misses an assignment, or maybe just dumb luck (player slips, etc.). Do coaches make mistake, sure they do, and it happens for every team. Go to Michigan's board and see how they feel about the play of their team today and coaching....at least we got the win folks. We will always have bad plays, mistake (by coaches and players). If we end up getting the win, then lets celebrate, instead of only focusing on the mistakes. We played better than Michigan, made less mistakes than Michigan, and won the game, that is all that matters.....

This. When we lose, it's just people jumping off the ledge, and we hear "Where are all these people when things are going good?".

Well, we're all happy about the win, but I had several of the same thoughts as the OP today. And you all wonder why nobody (or very few) dare to criticize after a win. At least after a loss, they fit in and don't just get told to shut up.

This times 1000. Some people think it always has to be sunshine & lollipops after every game.

There were a lot of mistakes made today that we haven't seen for nearly the first time, that very well could have cost us the game. The Hawks were fortunate on some level to get out of the stadium with the win yesterday. But that doesn't mean I'm not enjoying the win, because I AM enjoying it.

There were bad calls but this wasn't the coaches fault. Coker was suppose to push up the middle behind his lineman, not break to the outside. Coker learned a lesson there.

The OP is right....after great coaching for three quarters (except that head scratching squib kick), they let Michigan back in the game. I am referring specifically to the the decision to run Coker outside on third and one on Iowa's last possession. You run a quick hitter there...or a sneak..or give it to the fullback. Terrible call.

This is what my wife heard from the other room while my 9 year old son and I were watching the game on Iowa's last drive.

Iowa's final drive.
Son: (to Davis) Catch The Ball!
Me: (to Son) the last two years it has been the same thing, sloppy mistakes at key time. That could be a drive killing drop.
Son: (Iowa first down. Yes!)
Me: Iowa just needs to get one more first down and the game will be over.
Son: that was a good run.
Me: Yeah, but you want to get the first down now because Iowa never seems to be able to do it on third down when they need it.
Son: (after 2nd down play) they should be able to get that.
Me: they haven't in last two seasons.
Son: what was that?!
Me: (resigned to defeat) same old story. Now watch our defense not be able to make the stop.

Why did she hear this from the other room? Because she says she doesn't want watching Iowa lose to ruin her weekend anymore.

Seriously people, this is the current reality of Hawkeye football. Pretending it isn't won't change anything.

So yes, it's a bit easier to see the center if the cloud and miss the silver lining. Give people a break on that. It isn't like they don't have cause.

Beyond that, the Alvis injury is brutal! That guy was the ONLY bright spot for the future of the Hawk's line. Seriously. Now the team is really going to have to pull a a bunch of rabbits out of the hat to even field a D Line next year. And this doesn't even address the issue of the rest of this year.

Without that injury the silver lining would be easier to see. With that injury the storm clouds are hard to look past.

So, to the person who complained that Barta would be happy to get an invite to one of the Texas bowls. So will I. I will drive the family down. We will cheer for the Hawks at the game and celebrate the victory.

That is what fans do.

Denard Robinson is one of the leading candidates for the Heisman Trophy. Bad QB? Hardly.

Bone-headed clock management? WTF?

WHAAAAAAT?

We won. DON'T WORRY BE HAPPY

Did you watch Bama LSU? Saban made more coaching mistakes in that game than Ferentz has all season.

It is pretty easy to second guess decisions after the fact. In fact, every play that fails can be second-guessed.

The team that has the most points at the end of the game wins.

This season is one of Ferentz's best coaching jobs.
THIS. This team could have rolled over and laid an egg for the rest of the season after last week, but instead came out with emotion and fire. You think they did that on their own, or maybe were coached up this week by the staff? Some of you people are rediculous.

Our inability to convert on 3rd/4th and 1 is frightening
The frightening part is why we don't occasionally audible to a QB rollout or a quick toss to the edge to take advantage of all 11 defenders in the box in that situation.

Enjoying the win doesn't change the fact the OP is right.

This... I LOVE the win and it was a great day to be a Hawk. :D

The SAD truth is that game should have been over, that DRAMA at the end should have never happened!!! Conservatism reared it's ugly head in that 4th quarter and almost cost us.

Reality is that this team and whom they have played so far shouldn't be 6-3.

GO HAWKS!!

Last edited:
The frightening part is why we don't occasionally audible to a QB rollout or a quick toss to the edge to take advantage of all 11 defenders in the box in that situation.

We did that in the 4th quarter, 3rd and 2, they threw a quick out to McNutt for the first.

Frighting I know.

Denard Robinson is one of the leading candidates for the Heisman Trophy. Bad QB? Hardly.

Bone-headed clock management? WTF?

WHAAAAAAT?

We won. DON'T WORRY BE HAPPY

Did you watch Bama LSU? Saban made more coaching mistakes in that game than Ferentz has all season.

It is pretty easy to second guess decisions after the fact. In fact, every play that fails can be second-guessed.

The team that has the most points at the end of the game wins.

This season is one of Ferentz's best coaching jobs.

And you don't think Saban will get grilled for those mistakes? I'm happy we won. But I don't want to see the same issues cost us one of our last few games. Especially when they're correctable. I can stomach losing a game if it's because the other team is just better better.

By the way, we have now defeated Michigan 3 years in a row.

That has never happened before.

Ferentz has defeated Michigan FIVE TIMES.

In the previous 112 years of Iowa FB before Ferentz, we defeated Michigan 8 times. Think about that a little bit. You might actually gain some perspective (pretty rare on this message board).

Enjoy Ferentz and this coaching staff. It will never get better.

Sorry, but that is the truth.

This is also probably the lowest point in Michigan's history. There's a reason we'd only beaten them 8 times before Ferentz came along.

THIS. This team could have rolled over and laid an egg for the rest of the season after last week, but instead came out with emotion and fire. You think they did that on their own, or maybe were coached up this week by the staff? Some of you people are rediculous.

Obviously, it's great that they didn't lay an egg. But what many people saw were the same things that have been key components in our losing efforts this year. Just because we won the game doesn't mean those issues/concerns are gone.

Why do u continue to attack everyone on here? Everyone is talking to their likes and dislikes of the team or the coaches or even other games but you attack everyone that doesn't see the way u do. Why? If u are so angered by it than go create your own blog so that u are the only one that can comment on the game. By the way what are u chosen for?

I thought we won today.We held the #13 team in the country to 16 points and shut down a Heisman trophy candidate.Our kids played with heart and emotion.We dominated almost the entire game.We put ourselves right back in the division race.And yet we have post after post nickpicking the fact that we didn't convert on 3rd and 1 late in the game.And oh, by the way, Michigan has one of the top-rated defenses in the conference.This message board never ceases to amaze me.

I thought we won today.We held the #13 team in the country to 16 points and shut down a Heisman trophy candidate.Our kids played with heart and emotion.We dominated almost the entire game.We put ourselves right back in the division race.And yet we have post after post nickpicking the fact that we didn't convert on 3rd and 1 late in the game.And oh, by the way, Michigan has one of the top-rated defenses in the conference.This message board never ceases to amaze me.
The Hawks played a great game. The point is why don't they play like that EVERY week instead of playing down to the level of the opposition against weaker opponents. Also, the coaches pull the same risk avoidance crap everytime they get a lead. Keep the foot on the gas for 60 minutes is all I'm askin.

yup, i was thinking the same thing "here we go again" BUT...we got the win so enjoy. College football is all about getting wins, anything can and usually does happen so enjoy them when you get them.

This is what my wife heard from the other room while my 9 year old son and I were watching the game on Iowa's last drive.

Iowa's final drive.
Son: (to Davis) Catch The Ball!
Me: (to Son) the last two years it has been the same thing, sloppy mistakes at key time. That could be a drive killing drop.
Son: (Iowa first down. Yes!)
Me: Iowa just needs to get one more first down and the game will be over.
Son: that was a good run.
Me: Yeah, but you want to get the first down now because Iowa never seems to be able to do it on third down when they need it.
Son: (after 2nd down play) they should be able to get that.
Me: they haven't in last two seasons.
Son: what was that?!
Me: (resigned to defeat) same old story. Now watch our defense not be able to make the stop.

Why did she hear this from the other room? Because she says she doesn't want watching Iowa lose to ruin her weekend anymore.

Seriously people, this is the current reality of Hawkeye football. Pretending it isn't won't change anything.

So yes, it's a bit easier to see the center if the cloud and miss the silver lining. Give people a break on that. It isn't like they don't have cause.

Beyond that, the Alvis injury is brutal! That guy was the ONLY bright spot for the future of the Hawk's line. Seriously. Now the team is really going to have to pull a a bunch of rabbits out of the hat to even field a D Line next year. And this doesn't even address the issue of the rest of this year.

Without that injury the silver lining would be easier to see. With that injury the storm clouds are hard to look past.

So, to the person who complained that Barta would be happy to get an invite to one of the Texas bowls. So will I. I will drive the family down. We will cheer for the Hawks at the game and celebrate the victory.

That is what fans do.

i feel bad for your son. he tries to get excited and look for the positives in things, and you're in his ear saying anything negative possible

The Hawks played a great game. The point is why don't they play like that EVERY week instead of playing down to the level of the opposition against weaker opponents. Also, the coaches pull the same risk avoidance crap everytime they get a lead. Keep the foot on the gas for 60 minutes is all I'm askin.

After Michigan scored to get it to 24-16, we came out and passed for 24 yards to McNutt, Next play was a drop by Keenan that should have been another big gain. We then had a 9 yard run, and then we get stuffed on 3rd and 1. We then go for it on 4th and 1, and get the procedure call on Ferentz.

How can anyone argue that we are sitting on the ball in this possession?

I'll take the win, I'm more than pleased. We beat a decent team by 8 points, I'm happy. Sure there are things in the game to pick apart, but bottom line the team gets bowl practices thanks to this win and that is most important.

I don't like the title of the thread at all. It belittles the win. Michigan's a pretty good team despite what some people say. All we have heard in this thread is conservatism this and that. That is what you do when the other team has an explosive offense. Last thing you want to do is get tricky and turn the ball over. I thought the game plan was fine and the execution was overall pretty good except for a couple of spots. All over the net there were expectations that we would get blown out against this high powered Michigan offense (over 400 yards a game and over 200 rushing). All the Hawks did was hold them to 323 total yards and 127 rushing. That's pretty **** good. Improvement shown......now they just need to show some more this saturday.

Latest posts