Nice win....but,

Couple things you need to ask yourself:

1) How did Michigan avoid ANY holding calls?!

2) How can the officials be SO "eagle-eyed" on the last 4th-and-1 situation, but TOTALLY miss the our DL got back "onside"?

Yes, we "gave up" some plays, but we also had to deal with some crappy calls.

^^^^Yup, this!

The OP is right....after great coaching for three quarters (except that head scratching squib kick), they let Michigan back in the game. I am referring specifically to the the decision to run Coker outside on third and one on Iowa's last possession. You run a quick hitter there...or a sneak..or give it to the fullback.

Terrible call.

Inability to convert 3rd and 1 two times late in the 4th quarter is concerning. Pulling lineman on 3rd and 1 is concerning. We do almost everything we can to try and give games away.

Either way, our defense was very impressive today. This is why the Norm Parker needs to go is ridiculous. DEFENSE is why we've been good. It's KOK that kills us.

Thanks you for making this topic and shame on all the "shut up" posters. A win doesn't erase the problems we have.
Yes, Iowa has problems, but what college team doesn't? Some fans have a "never satisfied" mindset and that's OK. I just enjoy the wins and try not to dwell too much on the losses.

Yes, Iowa has problems, but what college team doesn't? Some fans have a "never satisfied" mindset and that's OK. I just enjoy the wins and try not to dwell too much on the losses.

There's a difference between never being satisfied, and seeing the same flaws/issues in games that we win, which cost us in losses.

I just don't get the "shut up" kind of posts. If you're (not you specifically) going to ream people for only coming out of the woodwork when the Hawks lose, then don't tell them to shut up when they have the same observations/complaints after a win.

Inability to convert 3rd and 1 two times late in the 4th quarter is concerning. Pulling lineman on 3rd and 1 is concerning. We do almost everything we can to try and give games away.

Either way, our defense was very impressive today. This is why the Norm Parker needs to go is ridiculous. DEFENSE is why we've been good. It's KOK that kills us.
I have to disagree with you. KOK did not cause Keenan Davis to drop that pass. On one of the 4th down plays, I thought Coker made a bad cut. It's not KOK's fault that Ferentz had the illegal snap. With better execution, KOK would be getting more praise.

-1, or normal course of business.

8-5 is better than 6-6. Seems like people expect us to easily replace one of the best QBs and one of the best D lines we have ever had and contend for a Big 10 title. I don't like to settle for 8-5 when we could have been 10-2, but that isn't reality. Fact is that we don't know what they are going to be and this team is just scratching the surface of what they can be.

There's a difference between never being satisfied, and seeing the same flaws/issues in games that we win, which cost us in losses.

I just don't get the "shut up" kind of posts. If you're (not you specifically) going to ream people for only coming out of the woodwork when the Hawks lose, then don't tell them to shut up when they have the same observations/complaints after a win.
Fair enough, as long as you realize the opposite applies too. To wit, some fans are going to have the "bright side" viewpoint, even after the awful losses.

WOO HOO, IOWA BEAT MICHIGAN TODAY!!!!!

A team none of you Negative Nancy's gave Iowa a shot at beating.

First off, it was a good win today. The defense took the criticism of the week, worked hard and played well today.

But I have to agree with the originator of this post. It should not have been close and we should have won by double digits. We left alot of points and plays on the field today. There were times where we made alot of mental errors. I hope the coaching staff focuses in on this during practice this week and does not let the players get too big headed. I would like to see them play a full game next week against Sparty.

Fair enough, as long as you realize the opposite applies too. To wit, some fans are going to have the "bright side" viewpoint, even after the awful losses.

And that's perfectly fine. Hell, I picked us to win today. But to come in with nothing more than "shut up" doesn't add to any sort of discussion. At least exchanging actual viewpoints creates solid debate.

I thought we won today.

We held the #13 team in the country to 16 points and shut down a Heisman trophy candidate.

Our kids played with heart and emotion.

We dominated almost the entire game.

We put ourselves right back in the division race.

And yet we have post after post nickpicking the fact that we didn't convert on 3rd and 1 late in the game.

And oh, by the way, Michigan has one of the top-rated defenses in the conference.

This message board never ceases to amaze me.

I thought we won today.

We held the #13 team in the country to 16 points and shut down a Heisman trophy candidate.

Our kids played with heart and emotion.

We dominated almost the entire game.

We put ourselves right back in the division race.

And yet we have post after post nickpicking the fact that we didn't convert on 3rd and 1 late in the game.

And oh, by the way, Michigan has one of the top-rated defenses in the conference.

This message board never ceases to amaze me.

How's about our boneheaded clock management at the end of the first half? Call a timeout with just over 2 minutes left, kick the field goal, and squib the kickoff. The defense bailed us out on that one, but it didn't happen until Michigan was knocking on the door. A better quarterback than Robinson makes us pay.

I'm thrilled we won, and I'm excited at the possibilities presented by Northwestern's win over Nebraska. But the win doesn't erase our issues. Issues that have bitten us in the a** in all of our losses to this point.

Denard Robinson is one of the leading candidates for the Heisman Trophy. Bad QB? Hardly.

Bone-headed clock management? WTF?

WHAAAAAAT?

We won. DON'T WORRY BE HAPPY

Did you watch Bama LSU? Saban made more coaching mistakes in that game than Ferentz has all season.

It is pretty easy to second guess decisions after the fact. In fact, every play that fails can be second-guessed.

The team that has the most points at the end of the game wins.

This season is one of Ferentz's best coaching jobs.

This was a nice win, it could have been an amazing with just a few different plays. I never go into a game thinking we will lose, dont assume victory either for that matter. I agree some changes are in order but that shouldnt be such a negative thing to want. We have to get better and making changes is what leads to teams getting better. It also has the chance to blow up in your face and if that is that case you change again. We did a lot of things right in this game and there is a lot to go from. There are also somethings to worry about but we can only hope next Saturday those things are better. I do not nor have I thought Kirk needs to be fired I just think he needs to look at the games and the team a little differently sometimes. Yeah Kirk sticking to your guns has got you this far but sticking to your guns has left Iowa on the losing end of to many games we shouldnt have lost. His comment about MN only losing by a TD against Mich St was almost like him saying MN's other losses were flukes. He has a way of undermining fans and the media and that long term isnt good for anyone. MN is not good and a loss is a loss just like a win is a win, the points dont really matter in the end. Sure the BCS computers care but were never going to make a dent on those computers this year and we need to just do what we can to win and play for that automatic bid. I will always be thankful for what Kirk has continued here at Iowa after Hayden I just want more, sorry if that makes me such a bad fan but I want to whip everyone we play by as many points as possible. Nail biters get very tense all the time. It was a great day we won we have holes still but there is still time and hope to overcome them. GO HAWKS!

By the way, we have now defeated Michigan 3 years in a row.

That has never happened before.

Ferentz has defeated Michigan FIVE TIMES.

In the previous 112 years of Iowa FB before Ferentz, we defeated Michigan 8 times. Think about that a little bit. You might actually gain some perspective (pretty rare on this message board).

Enjoy Ferentz and this coaching staff. It will never get better.

Sorry, but that is the truth.

Certainly the loss to MN was a bad loss and a game we should have won.

Nebraska feels the same way today after losing to NW.

Upsets happen. Michigan expected to pound us today. One poster on this board predicted Michigan 61 Iowa 9.

You can't predict college football. Iowa can still win the division, this late in the year. I think that is pretty amazing.

Latest posts