Nice Job Fran and Co.

Talent is definitely a key to success in college bb,but it is not the only key.
Look at Butler. They had some talent,but not a roster full of talent.
They had players who fit their system perfectly,really.
Fran also plays a certain system,on the other end of the spectrum from Licks, that requires players that fit. If he gets some special talents,then fills in the roster with guys who are a good fit, Fran's coaching can make the difference. We are on our way,I am convinced. If he can finish this class strong,with Woodbury,and maybe Thurman,and Lee....he will have the prerequsites to have success in the coming years...Go Hawks!

There is an old saying about learning to walk before you run. The reason it is an old saying is because it is true. Coach McCaffery is recruiting a team that he can teach to "walk" as opposed to crawl as we have been doing for a few years now. If you "fans" can't be patient for more than the first year in this process, then you are truly delusional in your expectations.

There is an old saying about learning to walk before you run. The reason it is an old saying is because it is true. Coach McCaffery is recruiting a team that he can teach to "walk" as opposed to crawl as we have been doing for a few years now. If you "fans" can't be patient for more than the first year in this process, then you are truly delusional in your expectations.
Delusional describes those of us who think everyone is a fan who posts here, MisterLucky.....

:)

Fran also plays a certain system,on the other end of the spectrum from Licks, that requires players that fit. If he gets some special talents,then fills in the roster with guys who are a good fit, Fran's coaching can make the difference. We are on our way,I am convinced. If he can finish this class strong,with Woodbury,and maybe Thurman,and Lee....he will have the prerequsites to have success in the coming years...Go Hawks!

They had at least 2 NBA players from those teams and maybe some more. They certainly had talent.

We can't get caught in comparing Iowa to Butler. The regular season for the Mid-Majors are a little bit more forgiving than the BIG. A less talented roster can endure, but playing as a team with some talent makes the difference, along with great coaching, Butler has those attributes. It doesn't take anything away from what they have been able to accomplish in the NCAA tournament.
What Iowa is doing is getting players that fit into what they are trying to do as a team. Yes, getting Woodbury would be huge because all indications are that he fits into the scheme of what Iowa is trying to do. The bonus is the is a Top 50 player, so he should be more game ready than any other player that is coming in to date.
Iowa is well on their way back to being a good program again with the players Fran is putting in place. The good thing is that the 2012 class should be the last class that will be forced into playing time, instead of competing and beating someone out. Competition on the roster makes the team better, the 2013 class should be the first that will push for playing time instead of it being handed out.
For balance sakes, unless Iowa can secure both Woodbury and Macon, I would like to see just one more scholarship added to this class and have three for the 2013 class as it seems Iowa is getting a ton of interest from kids in the Top 100 in that class as well. Again, if Iowa can somehow pull of getting a combination of Woodbury/Macon/Marrero, say two of them, then no need to hold onto anything.
Fran is generating an excitement around this program that hasn't been there, he is visible and has the perfect personality for Iowa basketball.

Last edited:
Butler has done extraordinarily well the past two seasons, defying all odds to compete for the National Championship, a game usually reserved for the elite teams and their big brothers. Butler might not have made the tournament if they played in the B1G. Possible, but not guaranteed. Conference play in the Big Ten is exhausting and demanding, and will take it's toll on players.

Butler and the Mid-Major teams that do well in the tournament usually have those under the radar players who escaped the attention of the elite teams for a lot of reasons. Right now Iowa has had to identify these diamonds in the rough, underrated players to survive in the Big Ten. That problem is being dealt with very well, with Mike G. coming on board. Now we are attracting serious attention. Fran has done remarkably well turning the recruiting situation around. It is a slow process considering the level of the program after Lickliter, Fran has accelerated the process after one year on the job. We will certainly see how his recruits work out this year and following years. I personally think people will be surprised, in a good way.

They had at least 2 NBA players from those teams and maybe some more. They certainly had talent.

Last years Butler team had the Mack who did get drafted in the second round,and who else that will be in the NBA?

Hayward and Mack were legit NBA prospects the year before,but last year it was just Mack and some solid role players,who will likely never make an NBA roster.

VCU had one legit potential NBA player and a bunch of role guys.
Unfortunately, college bb has become all about the tourny,so a team can muddle around like UConn,go .500 in the conference,and then go on a run for 3 weeks in march and be deemed an incredible NCAA champion team.

So,even the arguement that the Butlers do not make the NCAA if they were in the Big Ten does not really hold water anymore....they could have finished 6th in the Big Ten,at .500 and still made the NC game.

I am not a fan of how college bb has become about the tourny only,which is why I am totally against any kind of football playoff,which would ruin the greatest regular season in sport.

i thimk with Fran we are going after kids that fit as well as the ones with star power Gesell is in he Top 100 and in the beginning had very little interest, Meyer has a score of 89 whtch is strange as he really blew up this summer, but i guess because he commited before the summer,they skipped over him in the eval because none of the bigger schools offered,but will be a very solid player, in Ingram we have a very solid in my opinion role player, as for star power there is Macon a top 50 prospect. Woodbury is also a top 50 prospect, to those that say we have no chance, the chance is far better than you think, Macon has stated he wants to set up a visit and that means a lot, it has been a long time for that to happen

i thimk with Fran we are going after kids that fit as well as the ones with star power Gesell is in he Top 100 and in the beginning had very little interest, Meyer has a score of 89 whtch is strange as he really blew up this summer, but i guess because he commited before the summer,they skipped over him in the eval because none of the bigger schools offered,but will be a very solid player, in Ingram we have a very solid in my opinion role player, as for star power there is Macon a top 50 prospect. Woodbury is also a top 50 prospect, to those that say we have no chance, the chance is far better than you think, Macon has stated he wants to set up a visit and that means a lot, it has been a long time for that to happen
Things do seem to be progressing very nicely.....

I am not a fan of how college bb has become about the tourny only,which is why I am totally against any kind of football playoff,which would ruin the greatest regular season in sport.

The NCAA tournament is something that is special, do I like the fact that a team can piddle around and lose games they shouldn't, but make a run and win...not all the time. What I like about the tournament is all the upsets that can happen. The depth of college basketball isn't what it used to be since the NCAA dropped the scholarship number to 13. It has made a difference, but the early departures have hurt the traditional powers as well. The turnover in college basketball is high, that is what has really ruined the game. The underclassmen rules need to change, either go back to not having freshman have to enroll, or go to the limits of the NFL.

If the college football regular season is so great, why do so many want to change it? I am in favor of a playoff, but a very limited one that would still utilize all the BCS bowls and go by seeding and the currect BCS bowls would host the top seeds in the National Semifinal, with the Quarters being held at home sites of the top seeds. I am sure that isn't fair either, not to have them play at home until the NC game, but it is just a thought. The BCS is a sham, plain and simple...the non-BCS schools are barely able to do enough to get in and do not have a fair shot at being in the NC game. At least with a playoff or tournament everyone starts off even instead of having zero shot even going undefeated.

Sorry,but I do not give a crap about non-BCS schools. If they want a shot,join a BCS conference like Utah and TCU did. I simply cannot see junking the entire traditional college football bowl system,and regular season for one school,Boise St.

As for those pressing for diluting the regular season with playoffs...mainly jonny come lately ,immediate gratification pro town sportwriters and some young fans who only know pro playoffs. Killing the golden goose,college football traditions, for the instant feel good of a playoff would be a disaster. There is already tremendous pressures on players,and coaches,...adding playoffs would up the ante even more,taking the sport even further from its core mission...educating student-athletes. They do not need to be NFL-lite.

i get the feeling you believe people should stay in their place, be it people in general or sports teams, face it football and basketball are changing, with therebeing a cap of 85 schollies in fb and a reduction from 15 to 13 in bb players, that now means that 40 players have to look elsewhere to get a scholly and 2 in bb, the so called big boys can't stockpile players and make them sit on the bench, not to mention kids want to play and are getting to the point they are not content to just sit there, this is bouyed by the multi-million dollar contracts