Nice Article on Woodbury

I'm not saying Woodbury isn't a true Hawkeye, or anything like that. But I'm not quite as optimistic as you are. He's not quite like Gatens. Gatens committed to the Hawks when he was just a freshman. Woodbury is wrapping up his junior year and still hasn't pulled that trigger.

Would you have committed to Iowa under Lick if you were in Woodbury's shoes as a freshman? Fran has already raised the bar on this team even with the dismal record this year and capped it off with a darned good recruiting class. Look at the details of improvement and not just the bottom line. Otherwise, you're just blind as to what's going on right in front of your eyes. Most fans agree as we had the 5th highest attendance raise nationally. This makes Iowa much more attractive to kids growing up in-state. All of this points to reentering an era when Iowa won't get all, but will get many more of the highly-rated in-state kids.

At some point if we keep getting kids from All over the country, the homeboys will be wanting to represent their state(if possible),We have just had a couple of blue chippers in state, and lost them without a sniff cause we were down. When we're not down it'll be a different story.And it wont be long.

"We cant compete with Roy" Now that's the ultimate declaration of a loser, its just sick.
Why even bother to play the game if you already believe you re going to lose?

If Williams and Self come in and consider Woodbury a priority, we can forget about him coming to Iowa. I thought we had a great chance to get him but if the big boys offer we have no chance.

Are you REALLY this pessimistic or do you just get off trying to troll your fellow Hawk fans?

Last edited:
Are you REALLY this pessimistic or do you just get off trying to troll your fellow Hawk fans?

No. Just being realistic. Name a recruit in the last 10 years we have "taken away" from Roy Williams? Kid's mentalities have changed. They don't just go to their favorite school anymore - win now mentality. He can do that at UNC. Woodbury seeing all this attention from premiere programs, he definitely is going to take advantage of it. People just need to realize if he doesn't come to Iowa, not be surprised...I won't. If he does, then we will all be elated and Fran will have pulled of the biggest upset in recruiting history.

I'll say again, had Gatens had an offer from N. Carolina or Kansas he would have turned both down. That proves the theory wrong about kids not wanting to go to schools they absolutely rooted for growing up. Marcus Paige does not fall into that category. Woodbury does.

My bad, re the Jansen (sp) kid.

My brother lives in that neck of the woods and had told me Jannsen (sp) is a guy that ******* at officials when he watches his son play (kind of ironic) and I automatically assumed this kid was that son. After talking to my brother, he corrected me.

He also mentioned what good basketball players his older brothers were but that although this one seems to be the best so far then next youngest one (I believe) is thought to be better than any of them. And the fact that the one playing with Woodbury is playing at that level right now...well, the next one sounds pretty good, as does this one, possibly.

Iowa is sitting well with Woodbury and Gesell (Telep thinks he might be a Top 60 recruit).

One of the reasons Iowa left a scholarship for next year is in hopes to land both of these guys.

Latest posts