Nice article on Marshal Yanda

Saw the article this morning. Looks great in most recent photos.

Sounds like he has a family farm to keep him busy, plus the acreage that he owns.

There will also be something else in a few years to keep him busy. Preparing his hall of fame speech. Will he be the first Hawk inducted since Andre Tippett? Paul Krause? Or will Bob Sanders beat him to it?

Still remember some of his brutal hits, great to see him quit before he ruined his body. Love, Love, Love to see him on an Iowa sideline coaching the OL. Great PR for Doyle and Iowa.

Sounds like he has a family farm to keep him busy, plus the acreage that he owns.

There will also be something else in a few years to keep him busy. Preparing his hall of fame speech. Will he be the first Hawk inducted since Andre Tippett? Paul Krause? Or will Bob Sanders beat him to it?
I think, if he is elected to the HOF, he will be the first native born Iowan (if he is in fact a native). I remember reading a story on that subject a few years back. He is a shoe-in, first ballot guy though.

That's impressive. But if he'd really like to do something unique now put that weight back on and be good to go next fall!! Come on Doyle Ha

Alex Karras and Duke Slater came after Tippett

That was my thought too. I love the Hitman as much as anyone, but the guy only played in a total of 50 games because of injuries. One NFL DPOY doesn't get you to the HOF.
He only played more than 6 games in a season twice in his career. Which is wild.

I’m sure there are people with more injuries than Bob had in his career but there can’t be many. Just off the top of my head I can remember (and these are just NFL) torn bicep, knee on multiple occasions, high ankle sprain, a stinger, something with his foot in his rookie year.

Obviously a byproduct of the way he played to some degree, but lots of bad luck too.

Last edited:
It also ain't far from Algona. You ever been to Algona?
Yep. Played baseball against Garrigan there, used to bowl in a tournament every year there as a kid. Oh and way back in the 90s there was an Iowa Games bowling qualifier there too.

I do a lot of my own wrenching and I always wanted to tour the Snap-On plant in Algona. I have all of my old man’s Snap-On tools from the 60s. Still use those wrenches and ratchets weekly.

Yep. Played baseball against Garrigan there, used to bowl in a tournament every year there as a kid. Oh and way back in the 90s there was an Iowa Games bowling qualifier there too.

I do a lot of my own wrenching and I always wanted to tour the Snap-On plant in Algona. I have all of my old man’s Snap-On tools from the 60s. Still use those wrenches and ratchets weekly.

That plant still open? Do they still make Snap on in the US? I know a bunch of tool companies basically consolidated and there is like one giant factory in China where they make all the tools now.

That plant still open? Do they still make Snap on in the US? I know a bunch of tool companies basically consolidated and there is like one giant factory in China where they make all the tools now.
Yep their hand tools are still made in the US (the Algona plant makes their tool boxes and cabinets). Which is why this 10 piece wrench set is $640.00. And that price is real. Snap-On doesn’t do sales, promos to anyone other than schools/businesses, and they enforce their MAP pricing to the death.

0001-C67-C-4-CF4-4124-9-BEC-2605-B322-DC2-A.png

$640 for a 10 combination wrench set. Nothing special about them, just plain old chrome wrenches. Gearwrench is a tool company out of Taiwan that makes some fabulous, high quality stuff and you can get the same set in just about any store for $30 and a NQA warranty. I know plenty of mechanics who earn livings with their stuff and they’re not indentured slaves to the Snap On truck guy. The key is to avoid China. Taiwan, Japan, and Germany are the ones you want to look for. Those guys have their shit together.

He only played more than 6 games in a season in his career. Which is wild.

I’m sure there are people with more injuries than Bob had in his career but there can’t be many. Just off the top of my head I can remember (and these are just NFL) torn bicep, knee on multiple occasions, high ankle sprain, a stinger, something with his foot in his rookie year.

Obviously a byproduct of the way he played to some degree, but lots of bad luck too.
Damn my memory is getting short. I thought he had a longer career than that. .

I do remember him being banged up quite a bit.

I think, if he is elected to the HOF, he will be the first native born Iowan (if he is in fact a native). I remember reading a story on that subject a few years back. He is a shoe-in, first ballot guy though.
There are worse players than Roger Craig in the Hall of Fame.

Worse running backs too. Paul Hornung and Larry Csonka come immediately to mind.

Damn my memory is getting short. I thought he had a longer career than that. .

I do remember him being banged up quite a bit.

He was in that Ed Reed, Troy Polamalu category for a brief minute, but as others have pointed out he could never stay healthy.

That was my thought too. I love the Hitman as much as anyone, but the guy only played in a total of 50 games because of injuries. One NFL DPOY doesn't get you to the HOF.
He definitely played like a hall of famer when he was on the field. Unfortunately he was hurt way too often.

Latest posts