Niang or Uthoff????

Sorry but tonight is a horrible night for FM. The fact that neither Utoff nor woodbury did not develop into draftable players is a terrible indictment on his coaching ability.

Sorry but tonight is a horrible night for FM. The fact that neither Utoff nor woodbury did not develop into draftable players is a terrible indictment on his coaching ability.

Frustrating for sure but don't think it has anything to do with Fran

We all already knew what kind of players they were. The fact that neither got drafted doesn't change anything about FM.

I guess Iowa State lost a lot more talent than Iowa did for this coming year. Uthoff is pretty good, but he isn't naturally a real aggressive guy. The pros said that he would play great for a few minutes then just disappear. It will be interesting to see how long Niang or Nader can stick. Uthoff still has a chance, but probably will be overseas.

Niang is an effort guy and has the body to be a banger. Many players have carved out 5+ year careers on that alone. Just about every team has some floor time for a guy who will play all out, clean the glass, and play solid D. The latter will be the big question for Niang. If he grows into an NBA-caliber defender he'll build himself a career.

If Niang sticks it will be as a shooter. High pick and roll, pick and pop stuff....If I give you the ball back can you hit the long range shot? The awnser to that has to be yes in order for him to have any shot of making it.

LOL. You don't just coach guys that don't have enough athletic ability to suddenly become athletic enough to be NBA players.

Kind of surprised on Uthoff, but it is what it is. He worked out for plenty of NBA teams, they just didn't see what they wanted to see.

No way in hell Nader makes a roster. Niang has a shot because he is so skilled offensively. I thought Uthoff could maybe be a Matt Bonner type of player - being able to come off the bench and hit 3s, but a below average defender.

No way in hell Nader makes a roster. Niang has a shot because he is so skilled offensively. I thought Uthoff could maybe be a Matt Bonner type of player - being able to come off the bench and hit 3s, but a below average defender.

Nader getting drafter is out of left field. Ultimately I don't think any Iowa or ISU player actually makes a roster (Niang, Uthoff, or Nader)

Nader getting drafter is out of left field. Ultimately I don't think any Iowa or ISU player actually makes a roster (Niang, Uthoff, or Nader)

I think both Niang and Jarrod have a good shot to make a roster. Bird loves Niang apparently so that's probably the one team that he could stick with and Jarrod is too good not to impress in the Summer League

I think both Niang and Jarrod have a good shot to make a roster. Bird loves Niang apparently so that's probably the one team that he could stick with and Jarrod is too good not to impress in the Summer League

It is mostly upstairs with Uthoff. Any self doubt and you will not survive in that league. That is the one thing that Niang has over JU he never lacks confidence; he isn't afraid of the moment.

Niang seems to slow and unathletic to make it but we'll see. JU at least gets to sign with the team he wants but it's probably not happening for him either.

Niang is an effort guy and has the body to be a banger. Many players have carved out 5+ year careers on that alone. Just about every team has some floor time for a guy who will play all out, clean the glass, and play solid D. The latter will be the big question for Niang. If he grows into an NBA-caliber defender he'll build himself a career.

These are all big questions for Niang, particularly the effort thing. Defense and rebounding are all about effort and those are things that he really struggles with. It will be interesting to see what happens with him. I'd like to see him stick on the roster but I have a feeling he is destined for Europe.

If we are talking about effort on defense and glass, Nader has him by a mile in both categories.

Uthoff could have been drafted...he turned down draft and stash offers from a couple of teams. Nader agreed to go directly into the D-League. That is what the 2nd round of the draft is all about. Salary Cap draft and stash. White did it last year. Nothing new.

Uthoff not getting drafted is no surprise

Maybe to you. Most "experts" had him at the very least getting drafted, some even in the first round. Now it sounds like he had the opportunity to be selected but turned it down, again that is also a surprise.

I don't think him turning down getting drafted is a big surprise when you think about what he wants. He wants to compete to play in the League this year. They wanted to draft him to go directly to Europe or the D League. Nothing wrong with him wanting a legit shot to make a team this year. If it doesn't work out he can end up going overseas. Just what the draft is all about these days. Not like it used to be.

Nice post.

Sounds like Uthoff was good enough to be drafted, but declined to be stashed. That would have been Fran's third NBA draftee in three years. Probably a record for Iowa.

Woody had extremely short arms and is very unathletic, two things that are very un-coach able. He didn't even get invited to the combine so it's not really a surprise he didn't get drafted. For reference, AJ Hammons who was an elite big man in the conference got drafted at the very tail end of the 2nd round.

Thanks for playing.

Last edited:
Maybe to you. Most "experts" had him at the very least getting drafted, some even in the first round. Now it sounds like he had the opportunity to be selected but turned it down, again that is also a surprise.

I don't think anyone had him getting drafted in the first round. I thought he would go in the early 40's

I think there was some talk about him getting drafted late in the first round but it was not realistic. I thought around 40 would have been a good spot for him but again, he probably had the opportunity but didn't like what they were offering. I think Hammons was a second round pick.