Niang or Uthoff????

I don't think him turning down getting drafted is a big surprise when you think about what he wants. He wants to compete to play in the League this year. They wanted to draft him to go directly to Europe or the D League. Nothing wrong with him wanting a legit shot to make a team this year. If it doesn't work out he can end up going overseas. Just what the draft is all about these days. Not like it used to be.
A legit shot at the league?! What do you think everyone has been doing all spring/summer? They obviously did not like what they saw.

No one would turn down the shot at being drafted. This talk is non-sense.

Not going to argue with you. You clearly don't understand the NBA draft. It's about salary cap. They draft and stash players. Aaron White did it last year. Not that big of a deal. If they believe you are a fringe player that is what they do. And yes...players turn down getting drafted. Sorry I can't help you understand how this works.

Sorry but tonight is a horrible night for FM. The fact that neither Utoff nor woodbury did not develop into draftable players is a terrible indictment on his coaching ability.

I don't think John Wooden in his prime could have made Woody an NBA draft pick. Loved Woodbury but he was never going to get there.

And the fact that he got A. White and D. Marble to the NBA draft is a testament to his coaching ability.

Nader getting drafter is out of left field. Ultimately I don't think any Iowa or ISU player actually makes a roster (Niang, Uthoff, or Nader)

At this point I'd be shocked if Niang doesn't make it. That was their only pick they had in the entire draft, they only have 11 players currently on the roster, and the GM basically said they expect him to be in the rotation. It'd be a tremendous failure of scouting, and a black eye for Pritchard if he didn't make the roster.

I think there was some talk about him getting drafted late in the first round but it was not realistic. I thought around 40 would have been a good spot for him but again, he probably had the opportunity but didn't like what they were offering. I think Hammons was a second round pick.

You are correct that was a typo.

At this point I'd be shocked if Niang doesn't make it. That was their only pick they had in the entire draft, they only have 11 players currently on the roster, and the GM basically said they expect him to be in the rotation. It'd be a tremendous failure of scouting, and a black eye for Pritchard if he didn't make the roster.

Best thing to happen to Niang was Vogel getting fired. McMillan/Bird see the way the sport is trending. You need big men that can shoot.

I don't think either will succeed in the NBA. But given a choice, I'd take Niang.

Georges plays much better with the game on the line than Jarrod.

Not going to argue with you. You clearly don't understand the NBA draft. It's about salary cap. They draft and stash players. Aaron White did it last year. Not that big of a deal. If they believe you are a fringe player that is what they do. And yes...players turn down getting drafted. Sorry I can't help you understand how this works.
He just spent the last 3 months trying to impress GMs, scouts and coaches -- to no avail. If your only choice is to play D League to improve your body and game, you take it.

JU knew where he stood, he knew he was a fringe player and would have jumped at the opportunity if a team wanted to draft him.

He just spent the last 3 months trying to impress GMs, scouts and coaches -- to no avail. If your only choice is to play D League to improve your body and game, you take it.

JU knew where he stood, he knew he was a fringe player and would have jumped at the opportunity if a team wanted to draft him.

EZ is right and you are wrong. Don't let that bother you. EZ has an understanding of how the NBA Draft works and you lack this understanding. It's always better to be a free agent than a bottom half 2nd round pick. Uthoff can continue to communicate with every NBA team...rather than being controlled by 1.

EZ is right and you are wrong. Don't let that bother you. EZ has an understanding of how the NBA Draft works and you lack this understanding. It's always better to be a free agent than a bottom half 2nd round pick. Uthoff can continue to communicate with every NBA team...rather than being controlled by 1.

Iowa State fans said the same with a lot of guys the last few years. I used to feel the same way but don't anymore. I could be wrong.

Sounds as if he worked out for a number of teams. Evidently no one felt compelled enough to gamble a second round pick on him.

And it is just stupid to claim he and Woodbury are apparent failures on McCaffery's part. You're either a troll or someone that doesn't understand basketball if you didn't see the improvement both players made under Fran's tutelage. It is just that tough to make it to the NBA. Lots of excellent college players never get a sniff.

Last edited: