NFL Declaration Watch

GesterHawk

T-Minus 5 days until the NFL Draft Declaration Deadline.

Lindy - NFL
LaPorta - staying!
Jones - staying
Campbell - staying!

Post here with any real updates. No conversations overheard at the 31 Flavors.

Last edited:
I'd hate to put any $ on any of these. I wouldn't be surprised if they all did or all didn't go. Starting your NFL clock so you can get to the 2nd contract where the big $ is is what they all are striving for. Yet Lindy might possibly not go and stay another year. And no matter what any of them do it's not wrong.

I think LaPorta can still raise his stock. Even if we are stuck with Petras at QB, I think our line and running game will be improved next year, which will lead to better QB play, which will allow LaPorta to shine. He strikes me as a midrounder now, but could elevate with a big year showing he is a better blocker and more dangerous weapon.

Campbell might be able to improve his stock a bit too. Not much.

The other two have maximized their draft stock. The only reason they might return is for the love of the program.

Lindy, if you listening, come on back home for 1 more year to win the Big Ten and more importantly make those memories you can never ever make again playing with your brothers and for the Iowa Hawkeyes!

Charlie Jones to return to be the countries best returner.

too much East and West running at the end of the year returning punts...just nitpicking, he is the guy that stretches the field for Iowa...he will be the homerrun hitter.

too much East and West running at the end of the year returning punts...just nitpicking, he is the guy that stretches the field for Iowa...he will be the homerrun hitter.
Yeah those rare guys like Jones get the way they are by going balls out all the time. They have to be cocky to think that they're going to outrun 10.5 D-1 monster athletes who have a 50-60 yard head start and score a touchdown. Like ISM before him too. You have to be slightly loony toons to be a good returner and I'll take 5 or 6 busted returns for a few field-flipping run backs every other game and a TD or two.

I've thought about the process before...to me it would be the most terrifying thing I could think of in sports...

The kickoff happens and you're on the 5 yd line, eyes on the ball instead of the ten 200 lb guys running 4.5 40s straight at you, trying to absolutely murder your ass because most of those guys want to make their team's starting defense. Can't look down to prepare yourself, you catch the ball, and then run straight into the teeth of that shit. Me? My instinct would tell me to catch the ball, and then I'd proceed to hit the deck in the tightest turtle-up you've ever seen in your life and pray to Nile Kinnick himself that I'd walk away from the car accident about to happen.

Yet these return guys somehow run, juke, and find blocks and make it 90 some yards to the house on occasion. Totally blows my mind. I would absolutely love to see a helmet cam video of one of Charlie's TD returns. Put that shit on IMAX with audio. It'd be terrifying.

Yeah those rare guys like Jones get the way they are by going balls out all the time. They have to be cocky to think that they're going to outrun 10.5 D-1 monster athletes who have a 50-60 yard head start and score a touchdown. Like ISM before him too. You have to be slightly loony toons to be a good returner and I'll take 5 or 6 busted returns for a few field-flipping run backs every other game and a TD or two.

I've thought about the process before...to me it would be the most terrifying thing I could think of in sports...

The kickoff happens and you're on the 5 yd line, eyes on the ball instead of the ten 200 lb guys running 4.5 40s straight at you, trying to absolutely murder your ass because most of those guys want to make their team's starting defense. Can't look down to prepare yourself, you catch the ball, and then run straight into the teeth of that shit. Me? My instinct would tell me to catch the ball, and then I'd proceed to hit the deck in the tightest turtle-up you've ever seen in your life and pray to Nile Kinnick himself that I'd walk away from the car accident about to happen.

Yet these return guys somehow run, juke, and find blocks and make it 90 some yards to the house on occasion. Totally blows my mind. I would absolutely love to see a helmet cam video of one of Charlie's TD returns. Put that shit on IMAX with audio. It'd be terrifying.
Now. That was a funny post! Well, sort of…

Lindy, if you listening, come on back home for 1 more year to win the Big Ten and more importantly make those memories you can never ever make again playing with your brothers and for the Iowa Hawkeyes!
Guess my recommendation was enough to send him packing. Sorry guys!

Now. That was a funny post! Well, sort of…

This would be very cool!

Your helmet cam idea on the returner for punt and kickoff returns is an awesome idea. First you see the ball against the sky and then the camera follows the ball to the catch then kerplunk some running and splatting all around. Wow.

Yeah, I agree that is a crazy job. But some guys like DHester and others just see those seams open up, make the first guy miss and try to run to a green opening.

Another crazy thing is the outfielder running full speed into a wall. Crazy.

But really race car driving takes the cake with how quickly that shit can go wrong. I dont even know if they use tie rods any more in steering but it used to be one of the main causes of death at Indy. Rod breaks and the car goes 90 degrees into a concrete wall. WTF.