Next years schedule

spliff45

Looking like it could be a bit of a grind -

20 B1G games
11 non con game that include ACC/B1G challenge (probably on the road)
Gavitt games against a Big East team (probably at home)
at Ames
against Cincinnati in Chicago
2 games in Vegas (Iowa, Creighton, San Diego St., Texas Tech)

If Iowa is successful next year, they will have definitely earned it.

Louisville/Syracuse/NC State probably in (ACC-B1G)
Back in the Gavitt Games. I was REALLY hoping for Creighton but I don't think that's as likely since they will both be in Vegas.

Iowa's gonna need some cupcakes and I honestly don't care how weak they are.

The good news is that there will be plenty of chances for good wins, and losing some of those games shouldn't really hurt. The rewards typically goes to those teams who schedule tough in the non-con, so I like it.

I wouldn't schedule this way with a young team, but we'll have an experienced team, so they should be ready (I would think).

What I noticed about the seeding and tournament selection this year was that they rewarded teams for playing better competition and punished teams for playing a a lot of cupcakes. Meaning even if we drop a few of those games it really won’t hurt us too much.

We have a very experienced team, so they should be ready for it.

Looking like it could be a bit of a grind -

20 B1G games
11 non con game that include ACC/B1G challenge (probably on the road)
Gavitt games against a Big East team (probably at home)
at Ames
against Cincinnati in Chicago
2 games in Vegas (Iowa, Creighton, San Diego St., Texas Tech)

If Iowa is successful next year, they will have definitely earned it.
Based on this year I think we only need a couple good non conference wins to establish a high NET. I couldn’t believe how high Nebraska, ISU, OSU, etc. were ranked even as they started to lose games.

Based on this year I think we only need a couple good non conference wins to establish a high NET. I couldn’t believe how high Nebraska, ISU, OSU, etc. were ranked even as they started to lose games.
It almost appeared as if playing tough games improved NET regardless of outcome. See Penn State and Nebraska high net.

Hopefully next year we are playing for a high seed and our NET ranking will help us.

Anyone know the lowdown on Texas Tech and Cincinnati as far as who they lose? Cincinnati probably already has the game circled against us.

Anyone know the lowdown on Texas Tech and Cincinnati as far as who they lose? Cincinnati probably already has the game circled against us.

Cincy loses Jenifer, who played the best the other day against us, but still have their leading scorer back who didn't play very well I thought. They couldn't shoot from distance so if they don't add any 3 point shooters I don't see them as much trouble. Felt the same way the other day, when they only made 4 3s all game until they hit a couple that last minute when the game was out of reach. It was only a matter of time trading 3s for 2s for Iowa to take over the game. But who knows who they have coming in or any grad transfers.

Texas Tech loses two senior starters, but their two leading scorers will be back as juniors and they have two 4 star recruits coming in.

Basically same schedule as this year, except probably paired up against better ACC team (Pitt still down, but trending up from pvs year), and a Big East opponent. Also, UConn was worse this year than expected. Oregon turned out to be very good!

Louisville/Syracuse/NC State probably in (ACC-B1G)
Back in the Gavitt Games. I was REALLY hoping for Creighton but I don't think that's as likely since they will both be in Vegas.

Iowa's gonna need some cupcakes and I honestly don't care how weak they are.

I'd hold off saying that until we see who the ACC & Big East opponents are. Pitt did us no favors and almost beat Iowa, then sucked the rest of the season. Iowa can get an ugly opponent from the Big East as well, they were really down this year.

If Iowa schedules 300+ NET/RPI opponents for the other 6 non conference games I'll be whining about it again. Just giving advance notice. :)

I'd hold off saying that until we see who the ACC & Big East opponents are. Pitt did us no favors and almost beat Iowa, then sucked the rest of the season. Iowa can get an ugly opponent from the Big East as well, they were really down this year.

If Iowa schedules 300+ NET/RPI opponents for the other 6 non conference games I'll be whining about it again. Just giving advance notice. :)

WIth the ACC, BIg East, Cincy, ISU and 2 games in Vegas, we only have 5 other games to fill. 2 of those we won't have say in because they'll be part of the Vegas deal, so we'll only have 3 others to fill ourselves.

Good grief. It does not matter who the opponents are. We are scheduling power 5 teams. We cannot control how good they are. And, we better schedule some cupcakes, or we will burn out. Is it never enough?

Good grief. It does not matter who the opponents are. We are scheduling power 5 teams. We cannot control how good they are. And, we better schedule some cupcakes, or we will burn out. Is it never enough?

It does matter, games against shitty teams suck to watch and they do nothing to help Iowa’s tournament bid.

I’m not saying don’t schedule cream puffs, just stay away from the worst of the cream puffs.

WIth the ACC, BIg East, Cincy, ISU and 2 games in Vegas, we only have 5 other games to fill. 2 of those we won't have say in because they'll be part of the Vegas deal, so we'll only have 3 others to fill ourselves.

Okay thanks, I miscounted. Even if it’s only 3 games just stay away from the worst of the worst.

The good news is that there will be plenty of chances for good wins, and losing some of those games shouldn't really hurt. The rewards typically goes to those teams who schedule tough in the non-con, so I like it.

I wouldn't schedule this way with a young team, but we'll have an experienced team, so they should be ready (I would think).
I would schedule that way every year. Young teams that play those types of schedules are very tough teams when they are JRs and SRs. Always play the best competition you can find. It's the only way to be the best.