Next Year's Rotation

WindsorHawk

Below are the returning players minutes per game (MPG) this season.

Bohannon 32
Cook 28
Moss 24
Garza 22
Baer 21
Nunge 16
Dailey 15
Pemsl 15
Kriener 10

I think most agree that next year we have to play smarter and defend better. With each poster making their own assumptions about improvement, incoming talent, etc. what does next season's rotation look like to put the best Iowa team on the floor...in your opinion?

Bohannon
Cook
Moss
Garza
Baer
Nunge
Dailey
Pemsl
Kriener

McCaffery
Wieskamp
Fredrick

Bohannon
Cook
Garza
Wieskamp
Dailey
Moss
Baer/Nunge
McCaffery/Fredrick

I think the core 6 have to be solid every game. Baer/Nunge and McCaffery/Frederick share minutes on a game to game basis or until one player clearly outplays the other on a consistent basis.

I'd love to see JBos mins drop to 30 or so even a little less wouldn't be bad. I think he'd be more effective not being as worn out late in games. Hopefully CM can be healthy and help take some of that load off of him.

With Cook:

Bohannon
Moss
Dailey/Wieskamp (I think are interchangeable at this point until Wieskamp plays D-1 minutes)
Cook
Garza
Bench Minutes:
Baer
Nunge
McCaffery
Dailey/Wieskamp (opposite of who starts: will get big minutes I think as well)
Kriener

W/O Cook:

Bohannon
Moss
Dailey/Wieskamp (as explained above)
Nunge
Garza
Bench Minutes:
Baer
McCaffery
Dailey/Wieskamp
Kriener
Fredrick (spot minutes; would vary from game to game), also could be pemsl if he gains a jump shot as that 10th man as I wouldn't be surprised if CJ redshirted.

I do think a 10 man rotation is a good thing for this team. It shouldn't go any deeper than that. Kriener showed flashes at the end and would be a good 1-2 punch with Garza (reminds me of when we had a good 1-2 punch with AW and GO). Nunge and Baer splitting at the 4 which gives us more spacing with those stretch 4 types. Dailey and Wieskamp could be a great 1-2 punch at the 3 and mixing in at the 2 but I think with CM healthy JB could slide to the 2 for Moss so not sure how many 2 minutes there really are past that so I like those 2 players at the 3. Like I said Moss and Bohannon at the 2 and then Bohannon and McCaffery at the 1.

I think the Cook decision is looming large here but I’ll put together what I think our best rotation would be assuming he’s back.

JBo 30 / Cmac 10
Moss 25 / Dailey 15
Weiskamp 25 / Baer 10 / Dailey 5
Cook 10 / Nunge 20 / Baer 10
Garza 25 / Cook 15

That spreads your minutes as follows:

JBo 30

Cook 25 (I’d like more but foul trouble)

Garza 25 (this is his max)

Moss 25

Weiskamp 25

Nunge 20 (would like to get him more minutes, think he will be our best defensive player next year if he plays the 4)

Baer 20 (I like him going balls to the wall at this amount of play time)

Dailey 20

Cmac 10

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Kriener and Pemsl do some nice things and can play at this level, but that does not mean they deserve to play on this particular team. I consider Garza, Cook, Pemsl, and Kriener as best suited to defend the 5 position. This lineup gets guys back in their natural position.

I’m still not convinced Cmac is even a better option than Dailey but I’ll go with it. If Frederick deserves minutes maybe Dailey can return to spelling JBo at the 1. That’s still a concern and ideally we could find a way to let JBo run around at the 2 for a few minutes each game.

9 man rotation, lots of shooters, better spacing with more room for Cook and Garza to operate, less poor matchups defensively, better ability to play zone, overall I think that lineup could be a bubble tournament team.

Last edited:
I think the Cook decision is looming large here but I’ll put together what I think our best rotation would be assuming he’s back.

JBo 30 / Cmac 10

Moss 25 / Dailey 15

Weiskamp 25 / Baer 10 / Dailey 5

Cook 10 / Nunge 20 / Baer 10

Garza 25 / Cook 15

That spreads your minutes as follows:

JBo 30

Cook 25 (I’d like more but foul trouble)

Garza 25 (this is his max)

Moss 25

Weiskamp 25

Nunge 20 (would like to get him more minutes, think he will be our best defensive player next year if he plays the 4)

Baer 20 (I like him going balls to the wall at this amount of play time)

Dailey 20

Cmac 10

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Kriener and Pemsl do some nice things and can play at this level, but that does not mean they deserve to play on this particular team. I consider Garza, Cook, Pemsl, and Kriener as best suited to defend the 5 position. This lineup gets guys back in their natural position.

I’m still not convinced Cmac is even a better option than Dailey but I’ll go with it. If Frederick deserves minutes maybe Dailey can return to spelling JBo at the 1. That’s still a concern and ideally we could find a way to let JBo run around at the 2 for a few minutes each game.

9 man rotation, lots of shooters, less poor matchups defensively, better ability to play zone, overall I think that lineup could be a bubble tournament team.

I'm good with what most you said. I still think Kriener has some potential. He's not great in any area but he's balanced. He can shoot, he can score inside, he can rebound, he can run the floor but I also wouldn't argue if he's not included in the rotation either and we go with 9 and have Cook play some minutes at the 5.

The one disagreement I have is Iowa being a bubble team. I believe that this is an NCAA tournament team with Cook back.

The offense was already good and it will be even better when you bring in a top 50 recruit and have guys like Moss, Cook, Nunge and Garza who will all be a year older and experienced. Not only that but you have a core group of guys with another year of playing together.

The defense was the obvious issue and although Fran certainly isn't known as a defensive guru by any means I don't think it's far fetched to believe a young team will get better with experience. It's been talked about over and over. Fran knows it, the players know it. I can't imagine how this won't be a point of emphasis so I'm hopeful we see progress and I'm hopeful that Connor's biggest contribution may be on this side of the floor.

1) JBo/ Cmac
2) Moss/ JBo/ Dailey/ Fredrick
3) Dailey/ Weiskamp/ Baer
4) Cook/ Nunge/ Baer
5) Garza/ Cook/ Kriener

Hoping Weiskamp makes it impossible to keep himself off the floor. Holding back my expectations a little on him since most freshman take some time to figure things out.

Agree with several of the ideas already written. It will all sort itself out. Hopefully defensive effort is the determining factor in people getting more/less minutes.

1) JBo/ Cmac
2) Moss/ JBo/ Dailey/ Fredrick
3) Dailey/ Weiskamp/ Baer
4) Cook/ Nunge/ Baer
5) Garza/ Cook/ Kriener

Hoping Weiskamp makes it impossible to keep himself off the floor. Holding back my expectations a little on him since most freshman take some time to figure things out.

Agree with several of the ideas already written. It will all sort itself out. Hopefully defensive effort is the determining factor in people getting more/less minutes.

I would like to see a lineup of

Cmac
Moss
Dailey
Baer
Cook

It looks weird at a glance, but I think it could be an effective small ball defensive lineup with a solid amount of experience. By the end of the year, Wieskamp could be swapped for Dailey to provide more scoring and rebounding. I can't help but feel that this team will go the way of JBo and Cmac's defensive abilities though...

I'm good with what most you said. I still think Kriener has some potential. He's not great in any area but he's balanced. He can shoot, he can score inside, he can rebound, he can run the floor but I also wouldn't argue if he's not included in the rotation either and we go with 9 and have Cook play some minutes at the 5.

The one disagreement I have is Iowa being a bubble team. I believe that this is an NCAA tournament team with Cook back.

The offense was already good and it will be even better when you bring in a top 50 recruit and have guys like Moss, Cook, Nunge and Garza who will all be a year older and experienced. Not only that but you have a core group of guys with another year of playing together.

The defense was the obvious issue and although Fran certainly isn't known as a defensive guru by any means I don't think it's far fetched to believe a young team will get better with experience. It's been talked about over and over. Fran knows it, the players know it. I can't imagine how this won't be a point of emphasis so I'm hopeful we see progress and I'm hopeful that Connor's biggest contribution may be on this side of the floor.
I have a tough time calling this team a tournament lock, heck I think even calling this team a bubble team is a stretch after last year. We won 4 B1G games last year, we didn’t beat a single tournament team, we got ran out of the stadium more times than I care to even count.

Cmac
Moss
Dailey
Baer
Cook

It looks weird at a glance, but I think it could be an effective small ball defensive lineup with a solid amount of experience. By the end of the year, Wieskamp could be swapped for Dailey to provide more scoring and rebounding. I can't help but feel that this team will go the way of JBo and Cmac's defensive abilities though...

I don't think it looks weird at all. Some decent length and one of our better line ups for footspeed for what we have to work with. Wouldn't be bad to press with this lineup with Baer up top on half court trap.

Cmac
Moss
Dailey
Baer
Cook

If Wieskamp isn't starting at the beginning of the season, I will be really disappointed.

I don't think it looks weird at all. Some decent length and one of our better line ups for footspeed for what we have to work with. Wouldn't be bad to press with this lineup with Baer up top on half court trap.
Not bad, but Garza would have to play his way OUT of the lineup at this stage and if Cook thinks he has any NBA aspirations he better get used to the four and be thinking about the three. That means showing three point range and guarding opponents who can put the ball on the deck.

I'd love to see JBos mins drop to 30 or so even a little less wouldn't be bad. I think he'd be more effective not being as worn out late in games. Hopefully CM can be healthy and help take some of that load off of him.

I think the ball will be in Conner's hand late in close games. How that translates I have no idea. JBo has to be on the floor because of his shooting, especially at the line. There is no one on this roster where you can clear out and let them go one on one. My guess is they spread the floor with JBo at the 2, running off baseline screens ....some pick and pop options with Garza or Nunge and let Conner figure it out where to go with the basketball. How many minutes CM is getting is not important...it is when he is getting them that will be crucial.

Cmac
Moss
Dailey
Baer
Cook

From a defensive perspective I really like this line up. I know there is tendency for fans to over load their preferred line up leaning heavily on offensive production. People need to remember that scoring wasn’t the problem last year it was very poor defense.

I think the ball will be in Conner's hand late in close games. How that translates I have no idea. JBo has to be on the floor because of his shooting, especially at the line. There is no one on this roster where you can clear out and let them go one on one. My guess is they spread the floor with JBo at the 2, running off baseline screens ....some pick and pop options with Garza or Nunge and let Conner figure it out where to go with the basketball. How many minutes CM is getting is not important...it is when he is getting them that will be crucial.
I only partially disagree with ya. I think if they can shave off 2 to 5 mins of how much JBo is playing in the middle of the game it'll help him play better throughout and as you mentioned at the end of the games. There were a lot of games it seemed like in the last 2 or 3 mins he was dragging out there. This should significantly help with that. I think Fran would have liked to have done that but with Williams transferring when he did and CM having what all happened to him he had next to no options..

Not so sure that isn't an NCAA-qualifying lineup, with a few improvements on the defensive end.
The key to making that work would be getting certain players to accept, and embrace, diminished roles. This sounds like a broken record, but that's on Fran to make it work.

If Wieskamp isn't starting at the beginning of the season, I will be really disappointed.
Cook started his 1st game as a freshman. Garza started his 1st game as a freshman. And Wieskamp is rated higher than both of them. I won't be disappointed if he doesn't start. But I will be disappointed if he's not playing starter minutes.