Next years fix

deanvogs

Is it really as easy as bringing in a good grad transfer PG?

This would allow Fran to play the PG and Jordan off guard. This instantly gives us guard depth with the new grad Transfer PG, Jordan, Moss and Dailey. We have Weiskamp coming in, so now we have depth at the 3/wing with him and Baer. Slide Nunge to the stretch 4 where he belongs.

Too many guys playing out of position right now. Nunge is sideways because he is asked to be a 3 when he simply isn't a 3 (and might never be). Jordan would be better served as a combo guard taking some pressure off him at PG all the time, let him just be a scorer for stretches. Moss and Dailey you could play the hot hand, and take some pressure off them as well.

Now maybe Connor does this exact thing. I know that is what Fran believes, but I'm not sold that he is the PG solution that we need.

This would allow Fran to play the PG and Jordan off guard. This instantly gives us guard depth with the new grad Transfer PG, Jordan, Moss and Dailey. We have Weiskamp coming in, so now we have depth at the 3/wing with him and Baer. Slide Nunge to the stretch 4 where he belongs.

Too many guys playing out of position right now. Nunge is sideways because he is asked to be a 3 when he simply isn't a 3 (and might never be). Jordan would be better served as a combo guard taking some pressure off him at PG all the time, let him just be a scorer for stretches. Moss and Dailey you could play the hot hand, and take some pressure off them as well.

Now maybe Connor does this exact thing. I know that is what Fran believes, but I'm not sold that he is the PG solution that we need.

Depends on the definition of "fix". If Connor is slightly better at running point, he's the fix we need to make the tourney (along with slight improvement from others). But what I want is a fix that will have us playing in Des Moines.

Yes. Will Fran be able to land one? No.

It'd be sure be nice to find one is all I know.. I'd like to think a healthy CM would help a ton. I couldn't agree with you more about Nunge. He's not quick/fast/athletic enough to be guarding 6'6 6'7 SFs. He's just not and that's fine. But use him in a way that he'll be successful and don't destroy his confidence by trying to make him into something he's not. I feel the same about Ellingson. The guy is no way no how a PG. Yet due to roster he's had to do it for some stretches. He's looked pretty rough and talk about something that's not fair to him. I think he's similar to Josh Oglesby. Could you imagine if he'd have had to play PG for us for any amount of time? Needless to say next year the addition of Weiskamp and a healthy CM should help a ton. Beyond that I dunno if there's a savior out there that'll come in to save the day as either a starting or backup PG...

Couple points.

-I don’t think the PG market whether it be grad transfer or JUCO is as fruitful as some posters here would like to believe. Plus not many grad transfers are going to want to come to a team that is a borderline bubble team and returns all their backcourt, along with the coaches son.

-Bringing in another guard would be great but does it fix our Fran problem? We would have the new guy, JBo, Moss, Dailey, Cmac, Weiskamp, and Baer for the 1-3 positions, and you know Fran will try and play them all. Thats 7 guys for 6 positions, and that doesn’t even include Nunge or Wagner who Fran seems to believe are 3s. That’s not a winning strategy in my estimation.

-I’ve made my thoughts very clear on the Nunge situation. He should be playing at the 4 and getting more minutes than both Pemsl and Kriener at this point. Pretty baffling that he isn’t.

-The other elephant in the room in regards to next year is Cook. While most would agree it would be a dumb decision, there is still a possibility that he tries for the NBA. (Again I don’t care to discuss whether it is smart or not, I think it would be a bad decision). But if he does indeed dart for the NBA I think that would ultimately be the final straw that broke the camels back in regards to Fran.

<<Now maybe Connor does this exact thing. I know that is what Fran believes, but I'm not sold that he is the PG solution that we need>>

In order to even KNOW that, we'd have to see him actually play, oh, half a season or more...

Couple points.

-I don’t think the PG market whether it be grad transfer or JUCO is as fruitful as some posters here would like to believe. Plus not many grad transfers are going to want to come to a team that is a borderline bubble team and returns all their backcourt, along with the coaches son.

-Bringing in another guard would be great but does it fix our Fran problem? We would have the new guy, JBo, Moss, Dailey, Cmac, Weiskamp, and Baer for the 1-3 positions, and you know Fran will try and play them all. Thats 7 guys for 6 positions, and that doesn’t even include Nunge or Wagner who Fran seems to believe are 3s. That’s not a winning strategy in my estimation.

-I’ve made my thoughts very clear on the Nunge situation. He should be playing at the 4 and getting more minutes than both Pemsl and Kriener at this point. Pretty baffling that he isn’t.

-The other elephant in the room in regards to next year is Cook. While most would agree it would be a dumb decision, there is still a possibility that he tries for the NBA. (Again I don’t care to discuss whether it is smart or not, I think it would be a bad decision). But if he does indeed dart for the NBA I think that would ultimately be the final straw that broke the camels back in regards to Fran.

<<-The other elephant in the room in regards to next year is Cook. While most would agree it would be a dumb decision, there is still a possibility that he tries for the NBA. (Again I don’t care to discuss whether it is smart or not, I think it would be a bad decision). But if he does indeed dart for the NBA I think that would ultimately be the final straw that broke the camels back in regards to Fran>>

More stupidity has been seen by guys going to the NBA early/un-ready than one can remember. It seems guys do it routinely, yet a good portion simply aren't ready. You'd think guys would learn.

<<-The other elephant in the room in regards to next year is Cook. While most would agree it would be a dumb decision, there is still a possibility that he tries for the NBA. (Again I don’t care to discuss whether it is smart or not, I think it would be a bad decision). But if he does indeed dart for the NBA I think that would ultimately be the final straw that broke the camels back in regards to Fran>>

More stupidity has been seen by guys going to the NBA early/un-ready than one can remember. It seems guys do it routinely, yet a good portion simply aren't ready. You'd think guys would learn.
I bet your right. He'll kick around the idea of going at the least. Will he or won't he or should he or shouldn't he will be much debated I'm sure. From where I'm sitting he'd be crazy to go pro. But I don't know his family situation or what kind of student he is etc etc. But some times these kids need to be cashing checks for their families... So who knows. But yeah from a pure basketball angle the guy isn't there yet and I don't think it's all that close

Fran knows he needs a point guard. He's not going to come out and say, I need a point guard, for many reasons. But, he knows he needs one. Whether he thinks Connor is that point guard, I have no clue. We will see.

Just for the record - I presume Dakich's kid is done making his way through Big Ten squads, so he's out as an option, right?

Couple points.

Any PG with a lick of sense will realize that neither of the coach’s kids are point guards. Are not now, never have been, never will be. The door is wide open for anyone who can do a halfway decent job of bringing the ball up the floor, distributing it to the scorers and playing a modicum of defense.

Any PG with a lick of sense will realize that neither of the coach’s kids are point guards. Are not now, never have been, never will be. The door is wide open for anyone who can do a halfway decent job of bringing the ball up the floor, distributing it to the scorers and playing a modicum of defense.
Connor McCaffery was recruited to play PG for us. His redshirt was also pulled this year to play PG for us. Fran intends to play him at PG.

Whether or not he is a Point Guard would be another topic, but he will absolutely be playing PG for us next year, barring injury or a decision to stick with baseball.

Connor McCaffery was recruited to play PG for us. His redshirt was also pulled this year to play PG for us. Fran intends to play him at PG.

Whether or not he is a Point Guard would be another topic, but he will absolutely be playing PG for us next year, barring injury or a decision to stick with baseball.
Any new buzz on a possible medical redshirt for him this season?

I don’t think the PG market whether it be grad transfer or JUCO is as fruitful as some posters here would like to believe. Plus not many grad transfers are going to want to come to a team that is a borderline bubble team and returns all their backcourt, along with the coaches son.

It is my opinion that 5 years ago when Hoiberg was getting grad transfers/transfers, it was a different world. For one, the competition is incredibly intense for a lot of these guys, and after that, most of them just aren’t that good and are playing at the level they should have been before. ISU has gotten burned the last 2 years chasing transfers and Fran has no record of bringing them in. If you look at the list of coveted grad transfers from the last few years, specifically point guards, there just isn’t that much there.

2017 – Geno Thorpe, left Syracuse in December. Kendall Smith, OkSU, just okay, etc. And the fact is that any available scholarship will likely not be announced until AFTER many other programs have already been recruiting these guys hard. IMO Conner at PG at JBo at SG is your lineup going into next season. I think JBo can be an elite shooter off the ball. Biggest problem is still defense heading into next season.

The other elephant in the room in regards to next year is Cook. While most would agree it would be a dumb decision, there is still a possibility that he tries for the NBA. (Again I don’t care to discuss whether it is smart or not, I think it would be a bad decision). But if he does indeed dart for the NBA I think that would ultimately be the final straw that broke the camels back in regards to Fran.

Agreed that Cook leaving would be incredibly damaging to Fran. However, I can’t imagine him doing it. People have done more foolish things in life, but let’s be honest – he’s nowhere near anybody’s draft board right now. IMO he’s a 4 year guy. I’m not a big nbadraft.net guy, but he’s not even in their top 100 prospects. He probably wouldn’t get a combine invite. I think him leaving would signal bad things. That said I fully expect him to declare and then return this year.

If you look at the list of coveted grad transfers from the last few years, specifically point guards, there just isn’t that much there.

2017 – Geno Thorpe, left Syracuse in December. Kendall Smith, OkSU, just okay, etc. And the fact is that any available scholarship will likely not be announced until AFTER many other programs have already been recruiting these guys hard.
There are certainly more guys than that. Duane Wilson who transferred from Marquette to Texas A&M comes to mind off the top of my head. But overall I think we are in agreement that the market is pretty thin and that Iowa’s chances of getting one of these guys is pretty slim.

Not a chance cook goes to nba. Smh

Latest posts