Next year the D finally falls off?

They certainly did against penn st a few weeks ago. Gave up 28 first downs, > 400 yards including > 20 on the ground. The defense got its ass kicked. It tends to get it kicked against top 10 teams.

I’m as big a fan as any of parker and our defense, but to put it in the same breath as other top 10 defenses is simply inaccurate through the years because it’s been continually exposed in those moments
Is that solely on the defense taking a step back from last year or could it have to do with the fact that they ran nearly 3 times as many plays as we did offensively?

Exposed in the moments where the offense can't get them off the field? I'd venture to say any defense in the country struggles when the offense can't get them off the field. To be fair to our defense I'd love to see what these top 10 defenses, that you throw out there, would do with a shit offense like ours.

If the defense falls some next year....
It will be better the following year.

Also, I think Phil Parker is on to something. I don't mean some level of genius. I'm not sure that exists. I think it's all about building a mentality, finding the right people to coach that mentality and the right players to execute it.

Statistically, Norm outperformed Phil, in that Phil took about 5 years to get it rolling. Norm took two and then was more consistent. But, Phil is achieving (with 4 years of consistency) some levels that Norm did not.

OK...sure....in theory it could take a dip. The Iowa defense could get 25% worse in yards per play (currently at 4.05) next season and give up 4.86 yards per play. Which is just about the statistical average (4.82) of the entire Kirk Ferentz era. To some degree, all things being equally....I can hyperbolically state that the Iowa defense could be 1/4th worse next years and still be as good as ~50% of all the Iowa defenses over the last 25 years.

I know, lies, damn lies, and statistics. But for a half decade now, Iowa's defense has been very good. Without falter. That's atypical. When you are consistently beating an average, that means something. It means, you're better. Brian was not. He was constantly below average.

I'm not worried about the defense.

They certainly did against penn st a few weeks ago. Gave up 28 first downs, > 400 yards including > 20 on the ground. The defense got its ass kicked. It tends to get it kicked against top 10 teams.

I’m as big a fan as any of parker and our defense, but to put it in the same breath as other top 10 defenses is simply inaccurate through the years because it’s been continually exposed in those moments
JFC - why do you spend your time here?

We will have some big losses, yes, but every season a few players always step up.

For next season, some of the relatively new players worth watching:

DB: Deshaun Lee (whom I think would have kept his spot over Harris had he stayed healthy), Koen Entringer (looks like another good CASH prospect) and Kahlil Tate. The coaches also are high on John Nestor, who's already seeing a lot of ST duty.

DL: Max Llewellyn could break out and Anterio Thompson once he gets the techniques down, and Caden Crawford reportedly has drawn the eyes of the coaches.

LB: Kueter is the wildcard here. Jayden Montgomery and Zach Twedt have flashed by report.

I have confidence in our defensive coaches' ability to identify and develop talent. That said, replacing the combination of last years losses with those after this season will be a definite challenge.
Boy howdy is he ever. I can't see him trying to wrestle and play football both for the duration of his career. That'll be damn near impossible I would think.

He's the yin to your yang?
Nah, he's just another in a long list of trolls that I've ran off this site for the last 20 years. I'm here for it either way. He doesn't like facts or stats just ya know, that one game against Penn State where the D had a tough game means Iowa doesn't have an elite defense. Like elite defenses don't have a bad day here or there especially when facing tougher competition. I just wish he'd hold the entire sport to the same standard he holds Iowa too. I'm pretty sure he should just STFU but if he don't, I'll be here.

That's certainly one take...

If you are the best punter in the nation, where else could you command more NIL dollars than Iowa?
The best senior punter in the nation (49.5 ypp) according to 247 lives an hour from Iowa City and he's going to Georgia. Didn't want to wait for Iowa to offer any longer. You'd think the NIL could've paid for his college and then some.

The best senior punter in the nation (49.5 ypp) according to 247 lives an hour from Iowa City and he's going to Georgia. Didn't want to wait for Iowa to offer any longer. You'd think the NIL could've paid for his college and then some.

Well, that sucks.

Maybe we have another Australian in the pipeline?

If you are the best punter in the nation, where else could you command more NIL dollars than Iowa?
TT has not been eligible to receive NIL money. Some sort of rule with Australians. So that could hinder things a bit as it seems like many of the country's best punters come from there (and our past two). But a lot of Australian punters come over here to punt and who better to learn from than Levar Woods?

BTW, excellent post with a lot of good comments in this thread.

Sharrar has also impressed at LB. Thompson is such a unique player...undersized, but so explosive. I would love to see him play fullback in short-yardage sets, the guy is like keg of dynamite.
Agree about Sharrar. I didn't include him since he has been a regular part of the rotation at LB most of this season. He definitely will be competing for a starting role next year.

TT has not been eligible to receive NIL money. Some sort of rule with Australians. So that could hinder things a bit as it seems like many of the country's best punters come from there (and our past two). But a lot of Australian punters come over here to punt and who better to learn from than Levar Woods?

BTW, excellent post with a lot of good comments in this thread.

Pesky F-1 student visas. Limit you to 20 hours of work a week...generally on campus.....and only around $20k in income.

I'm about 99.9% certain we all said or thought that very thing last season....

Found it. August 14, 2023
In a thread about being ranked in the preseason AP poll.

----snip----
I'm trying not to get too excited.
I am actually planning on attending more than one game this season as my kid's got access to great tailgating space.
Obligatory "offense can't be any worse, defense should be solid" statement.
----snip----

Latest posts