Next year the D finally falls off?

CP87

I think I posted something like this toward the end of last season, and perhaps the D is not quite as good as last year, but it is pretty damn close. We lost 3 NFL draftpicks (first rounders Campbell and Van Ness, Moss in 3rd round), and awesome players and leaders at all levels (Waggoner, Shannon, Benson, and Merriweather). I guess we should expect it by now, but the D just keeps producing.

Next year we will probably lose DeJean, Castro, and Higgins (all potential all-Americans). We will lose Joe Evans, and perhaps Logan Lee and Quinn Schulte (I think they have COVID years if they want to use them). Could Black be a surprise early-entry guy?

Do we finally take a large step back? If not, who are the guys that step up to keep us top-shelf, like Castro, Higgins, Evans, and Black have this year?

I think I posted something like this toward the end of last season, and perhaps the D is not quite as good as last year, but it is pretty damn close. We lost 3 NFL draftpicks (first rounders Campbell and Van Ness, Moss in 3rd round), and awesome players and leaders at all levels (Waggoner, Shannon, Benson, and Merriweather). I guess we should expect it by now, but the D just keeps producing.

Next year we will probably lose DeJean, Castro, and Higgins (all potential all-Americans). We will lose Joe Evans, and perhaps Logan Lee and Quinn Schulte (I think they have COVID years if they want to use them). Could Black be a surprise early-entry guy?

Do we finally take a large step back? If not, who are the guys that step up to keep us top-shelf, like Castro, Higgins, Evans, and Black have this year?

Cooper is gone for certain

His stock is highly rated

One would think first-round

Castro and Higgins

Are they eligible for a covid year, they would be wise to go pro

Lotta rebuilding ahead if all three go

Doesn't really matter because our offense will carry the cause

I think Iowa is bound to take a step back, but what’s back? They’re stacked again on the Dline, they have youth in the secondary, LB’s are the focus of a concern but Iowa playing more cash now and will do fine in the portal on D. I think Iowa is set up to be good on D for a while. New stories do emerge my friends

I think Iowa is bound to take a step back, but what’s back? They’re stacked again on the Dline, they have youth in the secondary, LB’s are the focus of a concern but Iowa playing more cash now and will do fine in the portal on D. I think Iowa is set up to be good on D for a while. New stories do emerge my friends

I think we all thought Higgins would be good, but I didn't think THIS good. Likewise, Castro is a legit all American.

To stay close to this level, I think DL would have to become dominant (like top 3 DL in the nation dominant), Schulte would need to return, Nwankpa would have to ascend, the corners would have to make huge strides, and new LBs would have to be immediately solid. All are within the realm of possibility.

Castro and Higgins

Not sure about a covid year, but the way they've played this, they'd be crazy to come back next year. There's nothing else they can do to improve their stock.

Looking at all of the players we're talking about in this thread, it's no wonder our defense is so damn good.

We will have some big losses, yes, but every season a few players always step up.

For next season, some of the relatively new players worth watching:

DB: Deshaun Lee (whom I think would have kept his spot over Harris had he stayed healthy), Koen Entringer (looks like another good CASH prospect) and Kahlil Tate. The coaches also are high on John Nestor, who's already seeing a lot of ST duty.

DL: Max Llewellyn could break out and Anterio Thompson once he gets the techniques down, and Caden Crawford reportedly has drawn the eyes of the coaches.

LB: Kueter is the wildcard here. Jayden Montgomery and Zach Twedt have flashed by report.

I have confidence in our defensive coaches' ability to identify and develop talent. That said, replacing the combination of last years losses with those after this season will be a definite challenge.

Lee and Harris at the corners and Wetjen as the punt returner, you will miss Dejean’s game changing impact, but I think they will be okay.

Fisher is/was really good when they went to a 4-3 alignment. Fisher reminds me a lot of Higgins last year.

Replacing Tory Taylor will be the biggest problem they have.

We will have some big losses, yes, but every season a few players always step up.

For next season, some of the relatively new players worth watching:

DB: Deshaun Lee (whom I think would have kept his spot over Harris had he stayed healthy), Koen Entringer (looks like another good CASH prospect) and Kahlil Tate. The coaches also are high on John Nestor, who's already seeing a lot of ST duty.

DL: Max Llewellyn could break out and Anterio Thompson once he gets the techniques down, and Caden Crawford reportedly has drawn the eyes of the coaches.

LB: Kueter is the wildcard here. Jayden Montgomery and Zach Twedt have flashed by report.

I have confidence in our defensive coaches' ability to identify and develop talent. That said, replacing the combination of last years losses with those after this season will be a definite challenge.

Sharrar has also impressed at LB. Thompson is such a unique player...undersized, but so explosive. I would love to see him play fullback in short-yardage sets, the guy is like keg of dynamite.

Lee and Harris at the corners and Wetjen as the punt returner, you will miss Dejean’s game changing impact, but I think they will be okay.

Fisher is/was really good when they went to a 4-3 alignment. Fisher reminds me a lot of Higgins last year.

Replacing Tory Taylor will be the biggest problem they have.

If you are the best punter in the nation, where else could you command more NIL dollars than Iowa?

I'll believe it when I see it. Iowa's D hasn't taken many steps back for a while.
They certainly did against penn st a few weeks ago. Gave up 28 first downs, > 400 yards including > 20 on the ground. The defense got its ass kicked. It tends to get it kicked against top 10 teams.

I’m as big a fan as any of parker and our defense, but to put it in the same breath as other top 10 defenses is simply inaccurate through the years because it’s been continually exposed in those moments

Is Kirk coming back? I’ve heard that he has said he is. However he has already said many times that he wants to focus on the remaining games. If he comes out and announces that he is leaving that would be huge massive distraction. So he may be quieting everyone so the players can maintain focus.

Cooper is gone for certain

His stock is highly rated

One would think first-round

Castro and Higgins

Lotta rebuilding ahead if all three go

Doesn't really matter because our offense will carry the cause
Our offense will be better next year,

The thing that is maddening is that we're all speculating about what's the problem. Because KF won't say what it is because KF won't throw anyone under the bus. He's patient too. If its bad coaching he'll give them time to fix it

If any NFL guys at all are saying Black could be a 1st or 2nd rounder then he's gotta go. Good for him.
I'd rather Cooper end up in Pitt instead but that's just me.

As far as the D falling off a little I'd say yeah it'd make sense if they did. But man I'm not betting against Parker. I'm just not. I'd rather be wrong on his side then the other way around