Next year: our best shooting team in a while?

I surprisingly agree with you here. I do think that Connor being Fran's kid helped, but I also see it as CW didn't develop that PG that Fran thought he would when he brought him in. CW was looking at sharing minutes with 2 other PG's and 2 other SG's. He saw the writing on the wall, whereas Connor I think would've helped the team this last year. How much I don't know, would he have gotten them more wins? I have no idea, but next year I think Connor should play no less than 20 MPG. Fredrick RS I think, unless he denies it like Maishe did 2 years ago, and then that allows you to move JB off the ball when CM is in the game. Whoever you were replying to that said he is just a mid major talent is not very smart. Overall, agree with you on this one lightning.
That must have been painful to say. ;)

Neither offense nor shooting is the issue not the issue. This team was top 3 in the B1G last year and top 25 in the country offensively. Dead last in the B1G (by a mile I might add) and damn near last in the country defensively.

It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see that the Hawks could average 80 a night and still lose 75% of their games because they give up 83. Iowa averaged 5 more ppg than Michigan for Christ’s sake. It’s painfully, glaringly obvious what’s wrong with this team and it isn’t scoring. Wake up to it.

Conner at the point let's just have a mindset of outscoring people. Give up 75, score 80. Be super efficient on the offensive end. This team, as currently constructed, will never be good on the defensive end.

Conner at the point let's just have a mindset of outscoring people. Give up 75, score 80. Be super efficient on the offensive end. This team, as currently constructed, will never be good on the defensive end.
That sounds good in theory but the Hawkeyes gave up over 83 ppg in the conference this year. No team in P6 basketball does that and wins even close to half their games. None. (to save you the time of looking, no other P6 did that at all. Hawks were dead last in defensive efficiency out of every school. You have to go mid major or D2 to find one)

I’m not speaking in hyperbole here; literally no team plays that bad on defense and has success. The stats are free online and they don’t lie. To put it another way, to turn the scoring margins the other way without improving defense the Hawks would have to score an average of at least 84 ppg. That’s just not going to happen. Villanova, Duke, Xavier, and Oklahoma were the only four schools to average over 83 and that’s counting all of their non-con cupcake games. Michigan State averaged 76 ppg in conference...hell, Michigan only scored 71. That should show you just how completely shit our defense is.

Unless this team can somehow cut 6-8 pts off the board next year we’re going to be at the bottom of the toilet bowl again. They have to stop giving up outrageous amounts of points...there’s no way around it.

Last edited:
There is a 3rd option for Cook, one we'd all not like to think about: he could transfer to a blue-blood college where he has a legit shot at a NC, you know, sit out a year waiting for a schollie to open up. (Duke, Kentucky) I think this is a very long shot, as, like you guys, I believe he loves the team and his team-mates. He shot a pretty good % from up close and his departure could bring down the shooting % next year.
Why would a blue blood use a scholarship spot for 2 years on a one and done? The blue bloods like Duke and Kentucky can get a one and done out of high school and not have to hold a scholarship for 2 years.

Why would a blue blood use a scholarship spot for 2 years on a one and done? The blue bloods like Duke and Kentucky can get a one and done out of high school and not have to hold a scholarship for 2 years.
Cook also wouldn't play at a NC, Duke or Kentucky. Man, some of you guys think he's way better than he is.

Cook was only honorable mention Big Ten this year, and you guys think he'd play on the top ACC or SEC teams? After sitting a year with no game experience? Come on.

Fair enough. From his limited involvement, I'm gleaning a guy with good court awareness, vision, passing ability, size for a pg, decent handles, decent defense, and average at best shooting. We'll have to just wait and see.
All of this and 4 years of eligibility with time to improve...

I surprisingly agree with you here. I do think that Connor being Fran's kid helped, but I also see it as CW didn't develop that PG that Fran thought he would when he brought him in. CW was looking at sharing minutes with 2 other PG's and 2 other SG's. He saw the writing on the wall, whereas Connor I think would've helped the team this last year. How much I don't know, would he have gotten them more wins? I have no idea, but next year I think Connor should play no less than 20 MPG. Fredrick RS I think, unless he denies it like Maishe did 2 years ago, and then that allows you to move JB off the ball when CM is in the game. Whoever you were replying to that said he is just a mid major talent is not very smart. Overall, agree with you on this one lightning.
From everything I've read both of the incoming freshmen are in Fran's plans for next year.