Next year: our best shooting team in a while?

If Cook leaves...you probably have one guy on the roster that can get his own shot...Moss...and he's not a lock for that ability either.

When you have good to great D1 teams that focus on defense...you need guys on your roster that can create for themselves and for others. I'm not seeing where that is on this roster.
And you can't expect that from a true FR. If you want to win with this type of roster, they better play the team game better than everyone else. On both ends of the floor.

If Cook leaves...you probably have one guy on the roster that can get his own shot...Moss...and he's not a lock for that ability either.

When you have good to great D1 teams that focus on defense...you need guys on your roster that can create for themselves and for others. I'm not seeing where that is on this roster.

Jordan Bohannon would like word with you:
And if you're going to say Cook can get his own shot, you have to put Garza in that group too. I'm imagining Nunge and Wieskamp will be there by the end of next season as well.

I understand where you're coming from though, because every good tournament team seems to have least 3 guards and a post that can all effectively hunt their own shot.

Back to the premise of the OP:

JBo: 43% (96 3PM)
Moss: 38.6% (49 3PM)
Weiskamp: I would expect 35%-40%
Nunge: 33.3% (19 3PM)
Garza: 34.8% (16 3PM)

Of Garza’s 16 3s, 6 came in our final 5 games so he seemed to really find his stroke. If Cook does depart, Nunge will get a lot more shots. Dailey and Baer have both posted seasons of over 38% from deep in their careers, so they could hit a few off the bench. I think we should easily average 8+ 3s a game (we averaged 7.6 this year).

Although we aren’t the best driving team around, I would think having 5 shooters on the floor would open up some lanes.
Neither offense nor shooting is the issue not the issue. This team was top 3 in the B1G last year and top 25 in the country offensively. Dead last in the B1G (by a mile I might add) and damn near last in the country defensively.

It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see that the Hawks could average 80 a night and still lose 75% of their games because they give up 83. Iowa averaged 5 more ppg than Michigan for Christ’s sake. It’s painfully, glaringly obvious what’s wrong with this team and it isn’t scoring. Wake up to it.

Neither offense nor shooting is the issue not the issue. This team was top 3 in the B1G last year and top 25 in the country offensively. Dead last in the B1G (by a mile I might add) and damn near last in the country defensively.

It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see that the Hawks could average 80 a night and still lose 75% of their games because they give up 83. Iowa averaged 5 more ppg than Michigan for Christ’s sake. It’s painfully, glaringly obvious what’s wrong with this team and it isn’t scoring. Wake up to it.
I'd hate to know this but I bet it would only amplify your point on it. But how many of the teams we played against had their season highs for total points scored/fg% you name it against us? I bet it was most of em...

And if you're going to say Cook can get his own shot, you have to put Garza in that group too. I'm imagining Nunge and Wieskamp will be there by the end of next season as well.

I understand where you're coming from though, because every good tournament team seems to have least 3 guards and a post that can all effectively hunt their own shot.
Shooting 28' shots does not = being able to get your own shot. We call that "chucking". Every foot away from the basket lowers your shooting %. That's a fact.

Absolutely, that’s just my assessment based on high school tape and the little we saw last year, I could be wrong but that’s just how I see it.

Fair enough. From his limited involvement, I'm gleaning a guy with good court awareness, vision, passing ability, size for a pg, decent handles, decent defense, and average at best shooting. We'll have to just wait and see.

How did he come in as a true FR and take 2nd string PG minutes from C Williams, before the season even started? His dad is the HC. It doesn't have to make sense.
2922b0fe-f7c3-11de-84ea-001cc4c002e0.image.jpg

I'm still not sure whether to shake my head or laugh that Iowa basketball had fallen so far that this guy had to start a few games for us. I mean, wow.

I know defense is the issue I literally have talked about it in tons of posts on this site. The OP was talking about how good of a shooting team we can be which is true, we were a solid 3pt shooting team last year and might be even better next year. We can talk about other things on this site you know.

Last year with heavy minutes to Cook, Pemsl, Kriener, Wagner, Garza (who didn’t get his outside shot going until late), we basically spent most of the time with only 3 shooters on the floor, and Baer wasn’t much of a threat either. Next year we could be talking about having 5 three point threats out there, which means although we scored a lot of points last year we might get our points in a different way, and maybe a more efficient way.

If we don’t fix the defense none of it matter that much is implied, but I was just responding to the OP. If you want to start another Iowa sucks at defense thread I’ll gladly join the discussion.

We can get better shooters and play better defense, it's not an either-or. We can walk and chew gum at the same time.

Shooting 28' shots does not = being able to get your own shot. We call that "chucking". Every foot away from the basket lowers your shooting %. That's a fact.

It wasn't the greatest example, but end of half shots tend to be the ones that make it to youtube highlights. So I'd agree with you, except he creates off the dribble in times of need and makes those shots with consistency to the tune of a 0.571 eFG%. If you want to say he's not a slasher or pure scorer, that's fine, but he can certainly create off the dribble to get his own shot.

Last edited:

You are stoned. Launching from 26' isn't creating anything...it's a low percentage shot out of desperation since if he engaged closer to the basket he gets shut down. Watch that entire game. The real test is playing teams that pressure him relentlessly...he wore down. I'm not singling out Bohannon. I'm saying we need guys with the ball in their hands (guards) that make everyone around them better CONSISTENTLY. The reason why college teams at small schools can play three guards and make the final four is because they have 3 or 4 guys that create for themselves and others within their offense.

You are stoned. Launching from 26' isn't creating anything...it's a low percentage shot out of desperation since if he engaged closer to the basket he gets shut down. Watch that entire game. The real test is playing teams that pressure him relentlessly...he wore down. I'm not singling out Bohannon. I'm saying we need guys with the ball in their hands (guards) that make everyone around them better CONSISTENTLY. The reason why college teams at small schools can play three guards and make the final four is because they have 3 or 4 guys that create for themselves and others within their offense.

I completely agree on both points, it wasn't the greatest example, but end of half shots tend to be the ones that make it to youtube highlights, and he did make space for the shot off the dribble. I was just saying that there are a few guys who can create. They just aren't the right combination and they aren't creating in the right ways. I think I specifically noted that good tournament teams have 3 guards and a post that can all create. We had 2 guards and 2 posts, of which, only Bohannon and Cook created on a consistent basis.

Unless you're Chris Kingsbury. But he was an anomoly, he ain't walking through that door and he didn't play defense anyway. You're right, but man was it fun to watch Chris when he got hot Defenses would literally account for him when they were still on offense.

It wasn't the greatest example, but end of half shots tend to be the ones that make it to youtube highlights. So I'd agree with you, except he creates off the dribble in times of need and makes those shots with consistency to the tune of a 0.571 eFG%. If you want to say he's not a slasher or pure scorer, that's fine, but he can certainly create off the dribble to get his own shot.
He would be able to get better looks from the 2G spot, that's for sure. He can play without the ball.

It was a question...DD...want to comment on the players/program/topic?

It is pretty common for players to stop attending classes, checking out...pursuing something else like the NBA, etc. It isn't college students playing sports, earning that money making degree...it is players looking to go pro....and attending classes, some of them at least, along the way before they check out, without a degree.

My.point was, you have to earn your playing time in most instances. That's what every player is told, regardless. How could Connor have "earned" minutes over C Williams, a player that's been in the program for 2 years? One possibility is that he's the head coach's son. The other possibility is that he's a better player.
Remember, I was responding to a poster that said Connor was a mid major basketball player, that wouldnt get more than spot minutes. I happen to think he was a big upgrade over C Williams, so that decision didn't upset me. I also think he's a big upgrade over Bohannon at the PG spot, assuming he can play some sort of defense that doesn't resemble a turn style.
That doesn't eliminate the possibility of him getting a leg up because he's Fran's kid.
The telling tale will be Patrick and how he's handled. There is no way he's strong enough to be an upgrade over anyone at the 4 or Joe Wieskamp at the 3. It will be interesting to see how many minutes he gets as a FR.

I surprisingly agree with you here. I do think that Connor being Fran's kid helped, but I also see it as CW didn't develop that PG that Fran thought he would when he brought him in. CW was looking at sharing minutes with 2 other PG's and 2 other SG's. He saw the writing on the wall, whereas Connor I think would've helped the team this last year. How much I don't know, would he have gotten them more wins? I have no idea, but next year I think Connor should play no less than 20 MPG. Fredrick RS I think, unless he denies it like Maishe did 2 years ago, and then that allows you to move JB off the ball when CM is in the game. Whoever you were replying to that said he is just a mid major talent is not very smart. Overall, agree with you on this one lightning.