Next year: our best shooting team in a while?

I

Ian Pike Hammer

Every year, as we [supposedly] add better quality players, I believe that this will be our best shooting team in a while. With our returning players and the shooters we pulled in next year [plus red-shirt Mccaffery], will this be true?

Every year, as we [supposedly] add better quality players, I believe that this will be our best shooting team in a while. With our returning players and the shooters we pulled in next year [plus red-shirt Mccaffery], will this be true?
So we routinely put up 80+ points a game, but the other guys score 90 — do I have that about right?

So we routinely put up 80+ points a game, but the other guys score 90 — do I have that about right?
Tom Penders at his finest. They slapped 92 on us in an NCAA tournament game back in the Acie Earl-Chris Street days. No problem, we scored 98. James Moses nearly had a triple double. James Moses people.

Good post. I know the negative crowd won’t allow any positive thoughts but it is one of the exciting things for next year.

If Cook does depart our starting 5 could potentially be 5 guys who are legitimate threats to shoot the 3. Garza really shot the ball well at the end of the year and Nunge has the shooting form to be a threat out there as well. Then you’d have Dailey, Baer, and potentially Connor as options off the bench.

Well I just saw a mock NBA draft on SIs web site. They picked all 60 spots and shockingly Cook and Moss weren't on it anywhere... So as with the inevitability of them coming back (witch was always the case previous sentence was sarcasm) offense shouldn't be the problem for this team. We all know what it will continue to be... I can't see the addition of Wieskamp being any kind of needle turner in regards to team defense improving. Unless they drastically improve on D and rebounding next year we'll be attempting to outscore folks again..

Well I just saw a mock NBA draft on SIs web site. They picked all 60 spots and shockingly Cook and Moss weren't on it anywhere... So as with the inevitability of them coming back (witch was always the case previous sentence was sarcasm) offense shouldn't be the problem for this team. We all know what it will continue to be... I can't see the addition of Wieskamp being any kind of needle turner in regards to team defense improving. Unless they drastically improve on D and rebounding next year we'll be attempting to outscore folks again..
Regardless of rankings I don’t think it is inevitable that Cook returns. I hope he does but think there is certainly a chance he doesn’t.

Regardless of rankings I don’t think it is inevitable that Cook returns. I hope he does but think there is certainly a chance he doesn’t.
I guess there's the chance he does the G league thing or over seas. But that'd surprise me. He isn't transferring or going to the NBA. Beyond that what's his other options?

I guess there's the chance he does the G league thing or over seas. But that'd surprise me. He isn't transferring or going to the NBA. Beyond that what's his other options?
It just sounded to me like he wasn’t very happy at Iowa which would make me think he might try for G league and/or overseas even if that’s not the best decision. Only time will tell but I guess I’m just not convinced he’s coming back at this point.

It just sounded to me like he wasn’t very happy at Iowa which would make me think he might try for G league and/or overseas even if that’s not the best decision. Only time will tell but I guess I’m just not convinced he’s coming back at this point.

I think the chance that he goes pro hinges on him having already extended his range and having convinced teams he can be a plus defender. If he can show potential for improving those two things, NBA teams seem to err on the side of stashing anyone who can help.

Now if I'm Cook and know I can improve those areas, I might want to get my degree and have another season to show it. If there was significant improvement then get drafted and make big money, if not, grad transfer becomes an option in addition to those he has available this year.

I guess I interpreted his statements/nonverbal cues differently. I don't think he's unhappy with being at Iowa so much as just the end result of the season the team had. I think he not only cares about himself individually but the team. On separate occasions this year he'd stuck up for JBo on some of the heat he'd been taking. I just think after goin through this draft process and getting away from the last season his batteries will be recharged and good to go for next yr.

I think the chance that he goes pro hinges on him having already extended his range and having convinced teams he can be a plus defender. If he can show potential for improving those two things, NBA teams seem to err on the side of stashing anyone who can help.

Now if I'm Cook and know I can improve those areas, I might want to get my degree and have another season to show it. If there was significant improvement then get drafted and make big money, if not, grad transfer becomes an option in addition to those he has available this year.
He can’t grad transfer until he graduates. Do you have any idea how many credits he’s at? He’s only a sophomore so unless he’s well ahead he won’t be able to grad transfer after next year which would be his junior season. Most grad transfers are guys that redshirted at one point or another.

Ultimately he’s the one who decides what his next move is. Everything else in regards to how he projects at the next level is just hearsay, although I agree with everyone he has a long way to go.

I guess I interpreted his statements/nonverbal cues differently. I don't think he's unhappy with being at Iowa so much as just the end result of the season the team had. I think he not only cares about himself individually but the team. On separate occasions this year he'd stuck up for JBo on some of the heat he'd been taking. I just think after goin through this draft process and getting away from the last season his batteries will be recharged and good to go for next yr.
I hope you’re right.

He can’t grad transfer until he graduates. Do you have any idea how many credits he’s at? He’s only a sophomore so unless he’s well ahead he won’t be able to grad transfer after next year which would be his junior season. Most grad transfers are guys that redshirted at one point or another.

Ultimately he’s the one who decides what his next move is. Everything else in regards to how he projects at the next level is just hearsay, although I agree with everyone he has a long way to go.

That's true, it was a poor assumption on my part that he'd be ready by next spring. I've seen a number of people with 120 hours by the end of their 3rd year, but they all came in with 12+ hours and took summer classes.

Still reminds me to some extent of Greg Stokes. I would hate to see him leave as a fan but respect any decision he makes as a person.

Back to the premise of the OP:

JBo: 43% (96 3PM)
Moss: 38.6% (49 3PM)
Weiskamp: I would expect 35%-40%
Nunge: 33.3% (19 3PM)
Garza: 34.8% (16 3PM)

Of Garza’s 16 3s, 6 came in our final 5 games so he seemed to really find his stroke. If Cook does depart, Nunge will get a lot more shots. Dailey and Baer have both posted seasons of over 38% from deep in their careers, so they could hit a few off the bench. I think we should easily average 8+ 3s a game (we averaged 7.6 this year).

Although we aren’t the best driving team around, I would think having 5 shooters on the floor would open up some lanes.

Of Garza’s 16 3s, 6 came in our final 5 games so he seemed to really find his stroke. If Cook does depart, Nunge will get a lot more shots. Dailey and Baer have both posted seasons of over 38% from deep in their careers, so they could hit a few off the bench. I think we should easily average 8+ 3s a game (we averaged 7.6 this year).

Although we aren’t the best driving team around, I would think having 5 shooters on the floor would open up some lanes.
The only thing holding Nunge up is big ten experience and playing time.

Not as much of a sure thing, but Connor was 42% from 3 in high school and CJ was 48%. Idk how well that will translate into their college games, but Connor will likely be one of the first off the bench and some of the things we've heard about CJ lead me to believe he'll see floor. Kriener also has a decent looking shot if he can figure out how to put it all together and an outside shot is something Cook should be looking to add. As a matter of fact, the only guy I couldn't see shooting it from 3 is Pemsl (Though I'll probably still wince every time Kriener and Cook chuck one up until they demonstrate consistency.)

The inside game should be a lot more polished than last year, and that should open up the three point shot for the guards. Iowa does have guards that aren't going to be stage struck when they shoot, although the incoming freshmen haven't proven that yet. I don't think that Iowa is very far away from being really good. Hopefully, the new weight program will help them a lot.