Next Nebraska Coach

Agree that their D was better last year, but there (if I read the stats right) 5 Big Ten West defenses ahead of them in the category of scoring defense. Big ten west is tough in this category.

If you momentarily forget about the onside kick, Northwestern O line dominated Nebraska's D line on Saturday.

Good point, but I think this is another example of how some stats are misleading. Nebraska's D gave up a fair amount of points, but their offense (both through their tempo and their turnovers) and their special teams (through their ineptitude) constantly put them in a bad spot. They were actually pretty salty, though opponents scored on them.

In a similar way, Iowa was 64th in offensive efficiency in 2020, and they were 88th in yards per game. But they were 40th in points per game, because their defense and special teams constantly put them in advantageous positions.

Last year we were 99th in points, 121st in yards, and 90th in offensive efficiency. You might say it was an all-around performance.

I did in the last few posts above. I quite literally listed the reasons they don't get recruits.
That it's cold in the winter and in the middle of a cornfield? That's true for at least half of the Big Ten. That they haven't won in a couple decades? That was true for Minnesota and Northwestern, and for Iowa and Wisconsin before them. What am I missing?

That it's cold in the winter and in the middle of a cornfield? That's true for at least half of the Big Ten. That they haven't won in a couple decades? That was true for Minnesota and Northwestern, and for Iowa and Wisconsin before them. What am I missing?
That it's a losing program.

That it doesn't develop guys into NFL players (whether you think it's important or not it very much is to top recruits).

That the program has been a total laughing stock on twitter for the past 8 years and gets worse every game. nebraska is a literal joke that players make fun of and see being made fun of.

That they don't know who the coach is going to be in 6 months.

That the program hasn't made a bowl game since the current recruiting class were 6th graders.

That the program hasn't won a bowl game since the current recruiting class were 5th graders.

That the program hasn't finished a season ranked since the current recruiting class were 3rd graders.

Sorry, but nebraska is just as irrelevant as any other bottom feeder like Maryland, Rutgers, or Illinois, no matter how you want to spin it.

Good point, but I think this is another example of how some stats are misleading. Nebraska's D gave up a fair amount of points, but their offense (both through their tempo and their turnovers) and their special teams (through their ineptitude) constantly put them in a bad spot. They were actually pretty salty, though opponents scored on them.

In a similar way, Iowa was 64th in offensive efficiency in 2020, and they were 88th in yards per game. But they were 40th in points per game, because their defense and special teams constantly put them in advantageous positions.

Last year we were 99th in points, 121st in yards, and 90th in offensive efficiency. You might say it was an all-around performance.
Points very well taken.

I think you're absolutely right that Nebby's defense was quite a bit better last year, although they still gave up points in 4th quarters and in critical situations (some of that IS on the defense and not just the other two units). Iowa's defense tends to get put out on the field after multiple 3 and outs by the offense. They go and put the fire out.

Saturday, I think is more the norm for them. Bad play and then all hell breaks loose and the Defense is
AWOL.

When Northwestern recovered that kick, they were still down 11. Most people are talking about the (BAD) coaching decision, but there was a lot of game left, and NW owned it.

To me, that's really par for the course for them.

Points very well taken.

I think you're absolutely right that Nebby's defense was quite a bit better last year, although they still gave up points in 4th quarters and in critical situations (some of that IS on the defense and not just the other two units). Iowa's defense tends to get put out on the field after multiple 3 and outs by the offense. They go and put the fire out.

Saturday, I think is more the norm for them. Bad play and then all hell breaks loose and the Defense is
AWOL.

When Northwestern recovered that kick, they were still down 11. Most people are talking about the (BAD) coaching decision, but there was a lot of game left, and NW owned it.

To me, that's really par for the course for them.

I think so much of it comes down to attitude and culture. I think they have undoubtedly had talent the past few years, but they don't have attention to detail or a culture of resiliency. When they make mistakes (which they do frequently), that tends to snowball.

For a sense on scale on their defense's losses, they lost 6 starters to graduation who had accounted for 150 career starts.

That it doesn't develop guys into NFL players (whether you think it's important or not it very much is to top recruits).

That the program has been a total laughing stock on twitter for the past 8 years and gets worse every game. nebraska is a literal joke that players make fun of and see being made fun of.

That the program hasn't made a bowl game since the current recruiting class were 6th graders.

That the program hasn't won a bowl game since the current recruiting class were 5th graders.

That the program hasn't finished a season ranked since the current recruiting class were 3rd graders.

Sorry, but nebraska is just as irrelevant as any other bottom feeder like Maryland, Rutgers, or Illinois, no matter how you want to spin it.
Those are all great reasons that Nebraska sucks right now and that digging out of this hole is a monumental job. But, it doesn't answer the question of why Nebraska cannot turn things around with the right coaching hire. They certainly have more going for them than Iowa had when Hayden took over, or Wisky when Barry took over, or KState when Snyder took over or even Iowa State when the golden boy took over.

Does anyone think that Bo Pelini is particularly good head coach? I hope not. That clownshow won 9 games a year before he was shown the door.

Nebraska has made two bad hires. One was terrible from the outset, and the other looked like a homerun and has turned into a strikeout while pooping yourself. They are likely going to try it again in 3 months.

As much as I hate the Bugeaters and want this misery to last in perpetuity, my karma side tells me that Nebbie is due for a break. Overdue. I certainly do not see any institutional flaws in Nebraska football that will make it any harder to rebuild and maintain a winning program than the rest of the West. They just need the right coach. Let's hope they don't find him.

Nebby can find a guy that can win 8,9, 10 games a year. There are plenty of candidates who would take on that challenge. It all comes down to the fanbase and the administration accepting the fact that they are Iowa or Wisconsin now...they come to that conclusion and they will eventually get their guy. Continue to be delusional and they will continue to be dogshit.

Those are all great reasons that Nebraska sucks right now and that digging out of this hole is a monumental job. But, it doesn't answer the question of why Nebraska cannot turn things around with the right coaching hire. They certainly have more going for them than Iowa had when Hayden took over, or Wisky when Barry took over, or KState when Snyder took over or even Iowa State when the golden boy took over.

Does anyone think that Bo Pelini is particularly good head coach? I hope not. That clownshow won 9 games a year before he was shown the door.

Nebraska has made two bad hires. One was terrible from the outset, and the other looked like a homerun and has turned into a strikeout while pooping yourself. They are likely going to try it again in 3 months.

As much as I hate the Bugeaters and want this misery to last in perpetuity, my karma side tells me that Nebbie is due for a break. Overdue. I certainly do not see any institutional flaws in Nebraska football that will make it any harder to rebuild and maintain a winning program than the rest of the West. They just need the right coach. Let's hope they don't find him.

I think they had one institutional thing working against them for a bit...unrealistic fanbase expectations. I think that has been beaten out of them, so I absolutely believe the right hire could make them a West contender.

Fellas....if one coach with a plan and a positive-coaching team around him can turn around Iowa starting in 1978, somebody can do it at Nebby. Iowa was THE laughing stock for two decades.

I'll toss in Snyder @ KSU. KSU was worse off than Iowa was IMO when he took over. Zero history. Zero pedigree. Zero chance anyone could turn that around.

It can be done.

Fellas....if one coach with a plan and a positive-coaching team around him can turn around Iowa starting in 1978, somebody can do it at Nebby. Iowa was THE laughing stock for two decades.

I'll toss in Snyder @ KSU. KSU was worse off than Iowa was IMO when he took over. Zero history. Zero pedigree. Zero chance anyone could turn that around.

It can be done.
Respectfully, 1978 couldn’t be more different than the landscape today. 1978 didn’t have social media, didn’t have recruiting rankings, didn’t have the transfer portal, and wasn’t the, “me first; gimme gimme” scenario we have now. There weren’t showcase camps, high schoolers didn’t have agents.

1978 and 2022 could not possibly be more apples/oranges.

Respectfully, 1978 couldn’t be more different than the landscape today. 1978 didn’t have social media, didn’t have recruiting rankings, didn’t have the transfer portal, and wasn’t the, “me first; gimme gimme” scenario we have now. There weren’t showcase camps, high schoolers didn’t have agents.

1978 and 2022 could not possibly be more apples/oranges.
Right, but I don't see why winning 9 games at Nebraska right now (with the right hire) would be any harder than what PJ Fleck, Pat Fitzgerald or Matt Campbell have done in recent years. In fact, it might even be a lighter lift given the unbelievable support from the fan base and administration.

Right, but I don't see why winning 9 games at Nebraska right now (with the right hire) would be any harder than what PJ Fleck, Pat Fitzgerald or Matt Campbell have done in recent years. In fact, it might even be a lighter lift given the unbelievable support from the fan base and administration.
That's the thing. It absolutely should be easier to do well at Neb compared to those other places. Since they haven't and still aren't that's what makes Frost so much more likely to be done sooner than later.

Objectively looking at it with NIL the transfer portal etc all going on the ability for a school like Neb to turn it around with the right coach is there to be done. It's gotta be easier than rebuilding a program like ISU who's the little brother to another school in state. Neb has more everything then ISU. Coaching and leadership is all they lack compared to them.

Now it'd take the right coach pushing the right buttons right away to get it done fast but it's not impossible. I would bet it'd take some time to rebuilt roster because they are devoid of talent currently. (hence Frost going crazy in the portal this last yr)

It's been fun seeing them down we'll see how low they can go and for how long.

No one is saying that Nebraska will return to NC type teams, but then neither will Iowa or most of the Big Ten teams. On the other hand Iowa won the West last year with one of the worst QBs in the Big Ten
Minnesota could win it this year or maybe Purdue. You are trying to make the argument that Nebraska (which has stunk for a few years) can't do the same or maybe even better? Unbelievable history unbelievable fan support. your disdain (which i do share) for Nebraska seems to have you coming very close to hyperbole!

Unbelievable history unbelievable fan support. your disdain (which i do share) for Nebraska seems to have you coming very close to hyperbole!
This is where you're falling in with the nebraska fan delusion. That history isn't relevant to today's recruits unless they're maybe a child of a former player, nebraska resident, etc. And those are few and far between.

You really think some kid in Florida or Ohio is going to care about a championship that happened 26 years ago? No. But they will care about the laughing stock that they've become in the last 10 years. It's a clown show.

Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, and Northwestern aren't going to win national titles, but they also haven't been the monumental embarrassment and complete joke that nebraska has been, either. All of those teams also have locations with better environments than Lincoln by leaps and bounds.

This is where you're falling in with the nebraska fan delusion. That history isn't relevant to today's recruits unless they're maybe a child of a former player, nebraska resident, etc. And those are few and far between.

You really think some kid in Florida or Ohio is going to care about a championship that happened 26 years ago? No. But they will care about the laughing stock that they've become in the last 10 years. It's a clown show.

Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, and Northwestern aren't going to win national titles, but they also haven't been the monumental embarrassment and complete joke that nebraska has been, either. All of those teams also have locations with better environments than Lincoln by leaps and bounds.
This is where I think you are a little off. I agree kids don't care about a championship that happened 26 years ago. But it's not about history - it's about visiting Lincoln on game day and seeing how crazy the entire state is for football. And walking around town and campus and feeling the love as a future Cornhusker. (In other words, sort of like a recruit visiting Iowa City and Kinnick on game day). It's not something that only happened in the past - that fanaticism is still alive.

Again, we aren't talking about 5 star recruits from Florida and Ohio. We're talking about the kids who are going to Iowa and Minnesota and Wisconsin and Iowa State.

You can't tell me that the game day experience in Lincoln doesn't impress kids compared to Evanston and Minneapolis. It's funny - I lived in Minneapolis for 7 or 8 years - and the common sentiment there was that it was difficult to compete with Midwestern college towns like Madison and Iowa City and Lincoln when recruiting 17 year olds. Walking around a college town and being seen as a rock star (even as a recruit) and then entering a stadium with 70,000 or 80,000 screaming fans seems to get far more traction with most kids than discussing all the cultural benefits of a larger city like Chicago or Minneapolis (particularly when they know they won't have time beyond football and school for the next 4 years).

Man, Nebraska fans really did a number on you, didn't they?

Campbell will never go to Nebraska. He doesn't want any part of that shit show. He's got it made where he's at.

I will never say never on anything, but Campbell has had opportunities that he hasn't taken. The stuff he's passed on, like Tennessee, I think fit the profile of what Nebraska is. A fanbase that is out of touch with reality on what their expectations should actually be.

Latest posts