Newton Scandals

interesting, although I really think our government has more important issues than college sports, or sports in general

When it comes to something like this, I agree. The BCS, on the other hand, that's a place where government intervention might be warranted.

When it comes to something like this, I agree. The BCS, on the other hand, that's a place where government intervention might be warranted.
I can see that, college sports are big bucks, but lets worry about the million other issues facing our country, once they are solved, then Orin Hatch can dig into the BCS.

And now back to our regularly scheduled thread

And now the hits keep on coming... reports that Cam and Cecil said it would take more than a scholarship to get his services. being reported by ESPN.

I think the FBI might be interested in the six-figure payment aspect of it, although this sounds more of an area for the IRS.

And I guess it says something though when even ES(EC)PN can't ignore the story.

I do not get why leaking that info is breaking federal law? Whoever broke the UNC story about cheating was not breaking federal law??

The UNC scandal was a little different. They were receiving illegal academic benfits from the school, correct? In Newton's case, it was cheating in the same sense that any other student might plaigarize (sp?), etc. THAT is supposed to be private information that the school can't just release to anyone. I assume it goes on your transcript, so potential employers would know about it when he applied for a job. But the school can't leak that information to the general public. I knew Iowa had that policy, but I didn't know it was federal law.

The UNC scandal was a little different. They were receiving illegal academic benfits from the school, correct? In Newton's case, it was cheating in the same sense that any other student might plaigarize (sp?), etc. THAT is supposed to be private information that the school can't just release to anyone. I assume it goes on your transcript, so potential employers would know about it when he applied for a job. But the school can't leak that information to the general public. I knew Iowa had that policy, but I didn't know it was federal law.
At UNC supposedly the players were having papers written by them by a tutor who was hired by the college (whether she did this on her own or was encouraged by the school/coach is still up for debate). Names were released prior to them being brought in front of the school's honor court.

At UNC supposedly the players were having papers written by them by a tutor who was hired by the college (whether she did this on her own or was encouraged by the school/coach is still up for debate). Names were released prior to them being brought in front of the school's honor court.

Like I said, that's different, as it falls under NCAA violations because the cheating happened through the school (tutor). The cheating he is accused of at Florida is your everyday cheating that he did on his own (no different than say if I were to just copy the answers of the person sitting next to me on an exam). That's the only difference I can think of.

Let's reenact a scene from "Analyze That:"

NCAA\FBI: Mr. Cam Newton, what can you tell us about allegations that Auburn paid for your commitment?
CAM: I am not here to discuss what may or may not happen a year or two ago.
NCAA\FBA: Discuss it!

Latest posts