Newton Scandals

And that is why you are ignorant. The entire original PURPOSE of the trophy is the most outstanding player who shows on AND off the field prowess. It has become the high profile player on the media's favorite team, regardless of what that student athlete does off the field. You should "honestly care" because that is the purpose of the trophy. I'm not saying he or Auburn should be punished somehow or withheld from the NT game if they win out, by all means, rah rah go team. But he should not win the Heisman. Period.

Agreed. Don't think this is lost on the Heisman voters. After the Reggie Bush debacle, would guess some will think twice before marking their ballots for Newton. It may not be fair but that's the way it is.

From reading about this controversy it's pretty obvious that no matter what the outcome...Newton and his father are pretty classless individuals. I just hope that Heisman voters take notice of this and avoid another Reggie Bush situation.

And that is why you are ignorant. The entire original PURPOSE of the trophy is the most outstanding player who shows on AND off the field prowess. It has become the high profile player on the media's favorite team, regardless of what that student athlete does off the field. You should "honestly care" because that is the purpose of the trophy. I'm not saying he or Auburn should be punished somehow or withheld from the NT game if they win out, by all means, rah rah go team. But he should not win the Heisman. Period.

Ok, well how much digging are we going to do on guys off the field then? Does GPA matter? How many of these Heisman winners were ******** who probably drank a ton and hooked up with different girls every night, does that make them bad people? How many Heisman winners smoke weed regularly? Do we drug test them? Or is just being academically eligible and not getting arrested enough for you?

I am just saying that the only thing that really matters at this point is the alleged recruiting violation with Auburn. The other issues are not new information...are they? It just seems odd to me that all of this stuff is coming out now, and I have to ask if we'd be hearing about any of this if he (and Auburn) were not having a successful season.

However, I can understand the speculation and it wouldn't suprise me to find out the the allegations are true...it just seems like someone held this in their back pocket until they were ready to drop the bomb.

That's not odd at all. He is in the national spotlight and he should be scrutinized for decisions such as lying and cheating. Obviously if he was just a random student who cheated on a paper ESPN wouldn't report it. But that random student also wouldn't be in the position to be a role model to thousands of kids.

Ok, well how much digging are we going to do on guys off the field then? Does GPA matter? How many of these Heisman winners were ******** who probably drank a ton and hooked up with different girls every night, does that make them bad people? How many Heisman winners smoke weed regularly? Do we drug test them? Or is just being academically eligible and not getting arrested enough for you?

They are drug tested, as they should be. Having a below average GPA is not what this is about. You don't have to be a 4.0 student to know that throwing stolen evidence away when the police are looking for it is a bad idea.

They are drug tested, as they should be. Having a below average GPA is not what this is about. You don't have to be a 4.0 student to know that throwing stolen evidence away when the police are looking for it is a bad idea.

And plenty of college football players still use drugs and never get caught, and I wasn't talking about just Newton.

He's still going to win the Heisman easily, as he should.

No, he shouldn't, if the stories are true. The award is supposed to stand for integrity too, and he's lacking in that department if the stories are true. Voters don't have to dig as deep as they can (and they won't), but they have to acknowledge that Newton doesn't deserve the award now that there is information that destroys his integrity. Kind of a "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy.

The story about Cam Newton being shopped around is already unraveling. The release of the stories of him cheating is obviously a violation of any school's privacy code, this stuff will pass. The team will rally around him, reporters will do some stories about his perseverance through this difficult time, he'll have a huge game in the SEC championship and the Heisman will be his by a large margin.

The story about Cam Newton being shopped around is already unraveling. The release of the stories of him cheating is obviously a violation of any school's privacy code, this stuff will pass. The team will rally around him, reporters will do some stories about his perseverance through this difficult time, he'll have a huge game in the SEC championship and the Heisman will be his by a large margin.

The Heisman Trust is not a court of law. If that were the case, the cheating at Florida would be dismissed because it was not legally obtained. But the Trust will know about it, and it's likely going to have a significant impact on the voting.

Just watched two clips on espn.com: Newton's comments and then Chizik's presser.
Newton came off horribly--had a big smile on his face the whole time and basically used the steroid line of 'I'm not here to talk about the past'. Chizik figures if he appears angry and indignent then he must be telling the truth--everybody in Iowa knows that Gene isn't capable of telling a lie.............

The Heisman Trust is not a court of law. If that were the case, the cheating at Florida would be dismissed because it was not legally obtained. But the Trust will know about it, and it's likely going to have a significant impact on the voting.

Well unless they make him ineligible, the Heisman Trust aren't the people who vote for it. So it's going to be up to sportswriters and former winners to vote on this. Many of the same sportswriters who re-voted Brian Cushing as Rookie of the Year even after he tested positive for steroids. He's going to win it.

Well unless they make him ineligible, the Heisman Trust aren't the people who vote for it. So it's going to be up to sportswriters and former winners to vote on this. Many of the same sportswriters who re-voted Brian Cushing as Rookie of the Year even after he tested positive for steroids. He's going to win it.

After the Reggie Bush saga, I just don't see it happening. If I'm wrong I'll eat my crow. I just don't see them doing it after all the drama of the past 5 years (though it didn't really pick up until 6 months ago.

...AND THE FBI IS NOW INVOLVED.

details???

I love the fact the USA Today had two articles on the SEC trying to "clean itself up". Such a joke of a conference when it comes to ethics, reminds me of the old Soutwestern Conference, would love to see the NCAA really come down hard SMU style on the next one who gets caught cheating