Newton Eligible??? Wow!!!

ncaa couldn't of used him as an example but instead went a different way...college athletics recruiting will be different from now on!

You know, I love college sports because it is about kids who love playing the game, and a game that can get them a free education, and in some cases a step to the next level. When the NCAA starts allowing college players to be paid, whether it is to them or their parents, it takes that fun aspect out of it for the fans. I watched Auburn play a couple times this year and this kid is an arrogant *****.... as are most of the Auburn players. You have two guys booted from the game against Georgia for throwing punches, and a QB who could threaten to bomb the white house and be given a free pass by the NCAA as long as he is making them and the SEC some $$$$....

The NCAA is in a tough spot here.

A proper and thorough investigation of this matter will take years.

So I think the NCAA pretty much had to give the tree a good shake now to see if any irrefutable evidence fell out that they could use, run with, and make stick quickly. That was unlikely to happen.

Short of that, they're pretty much forced to say Newton is eligible now, and if anything turns up down the line, strip him/Auburn of their awards and trophies like Reggie Bush/USC.

Imagine if Newton were to be declared ineligible now, Auburn loses, and then he is eventually exonerated of wrong-doing? "Sorry Auburn" isn't going to cut it if they're robbed of a chance to win a national championship.

It would be better to make a final and accurate determination of the matter now, but with the time frames involved it's just not possible.

Scott VanPelt said on his ESPNradio show that it clearly states in the NCAA guidelines that any player, player family member or someone representing a player that requests compensation for that player coming to a school is immediately ineligible. So why when the NCAA declares him eligible they say that "he didnt know what his dad was doing".....their own rules say it doesnt matter wether the player knows or not, the player is immediately ineligible!! What the hell lets just ignore our own rules....

I think the distinction that they are using is that Cam's father requested compensation for himself to influence Cam's decision rather than requesting compensation for Cam. Which is, of course, complete horse****.

So does that mean nothing happend or that he can play while they are still investigating?

It means that they come back and get him (and his/Auburns) records after the season IF they find anything else.

The key word here is reinstated. He wasn't cleared.

If they suspend Newton, Auburn will lose, and then TCU would play in the BCS Championship, and all hell would break loose.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-FPimCmbX8]YouTube - Whoomp There It Is - Tag Team[/ame]

Quote of the day regarding the precedent now in place: "The NCAA just opened up a Pandora's Box of epic stupidity" - Matt Perrault

Well, we're about 30 minutes away from seeing if FIFA wants to try and outdo the NCAA once again for corrupt dealings. :)

Edit: And FIFA succeeds.

Last edited:

Latest posts