New Starting Five

Perhaps I am just being delusional but I think our 11 win team from last year is going to make a big improvement next year. we have the right attitude now are getting some of the right ponys.

I am excited about Hawkeye BB.

If Fran is only going to play Oglesby 5 minutes a game, he might as well redshirt him. By many accounts, he may be our best outside shooter, so he better get more minutes than that!

I disagree with people thinking BromArch will play 40 minutes. I don't think Fran thinks like that, and is more interested in athletes than size with his system. I think Hubbard/May will be just as strong rebounding than Brom/Arch anyways.

I see this lineup with minutes for next year

Cartwright (30)
Hubbard (25)
Gatens (30)
May (20)
Basabe (30)

Marble (20)
McCabe (15)
Brommer (15)
White (10)
Josh O (5)

I would be suprised if Hubbard starts over Marble.

Nothing is guaranteed, but I really don't think Fran brought Hubbard in here not to start him???
In the I Club video from last week, Fran says he recruits everybody with the impression that they will be a starter at least from his point of view. I would be shocked if Hubbard doesn't start.

12345 - I don't think Hubbard plays the 2 as much as the three in Fran's scheme. You complained about Marble's shooting, but Hubbard's is worse. He will grind like Tony Allen of the Grizzlies. So he might end up defending the other team's 2, but he will play more of a three on O.

Last edited:
12345 - I don't think Hubbard plays the 2 as much as the three in Fran's scheme. You complained about Marble's shooting, but Hubbard's is worse. He will grind like Tony Allen of the Grizzlies. So he might end up defending the other team's 2, but he will play more of a three on O.

Agree. Hubbard sounds like Devyn in that they can shoot from 16 foot and in,with pullups,but not from the arc much. Now, I expected Devyn to be a good 3pt shooter,and still think he might improve a bunch out there,but so far,not so much.
Tony Allen is probably a good comparison for Hubbard,and would help the Hawks a lot.
Anthony sounds like a raw,but explosive athlete...Iowa does not have enough of that.
Historically, Fran has not had a long rotation,usually no more than 8.
But,with so many players of similar ability,he is going to struggle to limit it to 8 ,imo.
Bryce,Matt,Hubbard,Mesahn are probably locks to start.
May,McCabe,Marble,Brommer are locks to be in the rotation.
Archie,White and Oglesby are wildcards,but could suprise good or bad.
If we add a pg,as rumored, add him to the mix.
Someone has to sit,right?
The competition in October should be fierce.
But, as we all know,just when we are confident that we are deep,a key injury crops up. That would be any of the big 4,but especially Bryce or Mel.
Can we go old-school Mr. Davis with a rotation 12 deep? Mass substituting,with full court pressure the whole game?
The possibilites are fun to speculate about.
PTL cannot get here soon enough...want to see Hubbard,White and Oglesby in action with a leaned out McCabe and Brommer,a pumped up Marble and Mel....should be interesting.

Slowly, I think the pieces are coming together. I really like the addition of Hubbard. I also like the fact that Fran has said he will hold onto a scholarship if needed and that he won't fill a spot unless he really thinks that player will add a lot to the system.

This probably won't be a popular comment for some but Matt Gatens will play the most minutes on the team this year. First, Fran loves the kid. Second, he was Iowa's defensive stopper late in the season and MG will benefit the most from Hubbard. AH will fill the role that Gatens has been forced to play the last 3 years. This will take pressure off of Matt and he will be more comfortable playing more on the perimeter.

iahawk72

Fran now has the luxury to run players in and out in shifts, like Mr. Davis. We will have the advantage of putting fresh competent players on the court throughout the game. I think that Devyn's strength is his defense, again with the defense, but it is essential. Marble, May, and Cartwright created a lot of problems with the half court trap throughout the season. Another thing I like about Marble is his unconventional style. He can create his own shot, especially when playing his natural position, which is not point guard. He reminds me of Jake Kelly at times.

Another thing about Eric May, he was not recruited as a point guard. His ball handling will improve in time. He reminds me of the Original Sir Jamalot, who was not required to bring the ball upcourt and making plays in the meantime. For some reason, the games that Eric is on, we usually win. His thunder dunks demoralize the opposition and energize the team and avid Hawkeye faithful. With a huge optimistic Hawkeye Grin, I eagerly anticipate a very good season.

Last edited:
This probably won't be a popular comment for some but Matt Gatens will play the most minutes on the team this year. First, Fran loves the kid. Second, he was Iowa's defensive stopper late in the season and MG will benefit the most from Hubbard. AH will fill the role that Gatens has been forced to play the last 3 years. This will take pressure off of Matt and he will be more comfortable playing more on the perimeter.

iahawk72

I totally agree with this.

iahawk72

I don't think so. IMO I think that RM is going to replace PG with BT as the new SG. Then you can rotate IP to the SF so that DZ can play EZ. Thoughts?

Starting 5 with who's on the team as of right now is...

Cartwright
Gatens
Hubbard
Basabe
Brommer

Good discussion. I think before the year is out that the starting 5 will be...
1- Cartwright
2- Gatens
3- Hubbard
4/5- White
4/5- Basabe
This line-up has 5 people who can SCORE and 5 people who can run. Against teams with great inside players..then Brommer and Archie will play a bigger role...but we won't score as well. With McCabe, Oglesby, May and Brommer coming off the bench. We've got a pretty decent little team.

I would be suprised if Hubbard starts over Marble.

If Hubbard doesn't start over Marble its actually a very good sign that we have a much better team than I think we do. Actually, at this point I agree with something Jon said on this or another thread: 'Cartwright, Gatens, Hubbard, Basabe you can almost write in ink', to paraphrase. Fran obviously likes White and has said there's a good chance he will start. I think it depends on his weight work this summer in IC. Brommer will be in the mix. I'm thinking he's a player that coach was talking about as having impressed him with his work on the weights. Marble will be in the top four guards with Gatens, Hubbard, and Cartwright. There's seven that will definitely be in the rotation. Who fills out the top 8-9 will depend on who else signs. Another big or PG will certainly be in there. Yeah, we can say that we can't overlook May or McCabe but there will be players that take a big step back in PT as we get better and then come forward again with experience. Welcome to the improved Iowa team.

PG - Cartwright
Wing - Hubbard
Wing - Gatens**
PF - Basabe
C - Brommer - I still think we get somebody that is going to come in and fill this spot

Key Bench Players
Marble - 20 minutes
White - 20 minutes
McCabe - 10 minutes
Archie 9 minutes - would drop to 0 if a big is signed.

That would be a 9 man rotation and plenty of depth. I think we will see May in the lineup but nothing more than spot duty.

We are still lacking a true big.

**I could see Gatens get pushed to the point of losing minutes to White / Marble / McCabe if Fran wanted to go more athletic and bigger. This would depend on Hubbards ability to score.
At the beginning of the season, I think the starting 5 will be: Cartwright, Gatens, May, Basabe, and Brommer. Within a few games into the season, Brommer and May will sit and Marble and Hubbard will start. Brommer is not a big 10 player. Marble will prove his worth in substitution minutes early in the season and show everyone he is more valuable as a starter than May. I'm not bailing on May, I just think Marble has more upside potential. I don't think May will get much better, but will be valuable in a sub role.

Good discussion. I think before the year is out that the starting 5 will be...
1- Cartwright
2- Gatens
3- Hubbard
4/5- White
4/5- Basabe
This line-up has 5 people who can SCORE and 5 people who can run. Against teams with great inside players..then Brommer and Archie will play a bigger role...but we won't score as well. With McCabe, Oglesby, May and Brommer coming off the bench. We've got a pretty decent little team.
I like your thinking. The Hawks won't get any better playing the same guys that played last year. I think Marble may play a bigger role than your post indicates. I think he will start some games this season. I doubt that Archie sees the floor in the big 10 season, with the possible exception of the last few minutes in games that are already decided.

I think people are bailing on May far too quickly

I agree. He was shooting the 3 at over a 46% clip up until just after the B1G season starter. He can jump out of the gym. Plays good D. If he can develop going to the left, and a pull up jumper, he will be tough to stop...

Latest posts