New Starting Five

There is nothing wrong with May's shooting, he just has the ball handling skills of a toddler.

May could be a key piece if he learns that dribbling is important and does all he can do to make his dribbling skills better.

May has tried to model his game on Gatens and done a good job of it- he's academic all BT after all. However, he doesn't have Gatens' skill set- as you were saying ST, no dribbling. He is probably the worst ball-handler we have in the guard court. I think he can learn from Hubbard, who is about the same size, about an inside-out game that could make May consistent offensively. If May can develop a step into the lane area and rise jump shot in traffic, he becomes a different player. Until then, he 'might' just see spot duty.

If Hubbard starts, Marble goes back to the bench behind Cartwright at the point, but there will be a lot of times they play together because Iowa now has some legit depth on their roster. Iowa lost Cole from last year's roster, Cully doesn't count because of his limited time and injury, and has now added three players.

With the depth Iowa has at the 1 - 3 spots, PG is still a little thin, but the different combinations that can be put on the floor at those spots is nothing but a positive.

Cartwright-Gatens-Hubbard: all can handle the ball, Gatens being the least effective ball handler, but he rarely turns it over.
Marble-Oglesby-May: May struggles to handle the ball, but lets just say White is on the floor at that time, he helps out bringing it up the floor as well.
Cartwright-Gatens-Marble: all good things.
Cartwright-Oglesby-Gatens: Throw in White/Hubbard at the 4 spot, like that too.

Don't forget about McCabe who showed some good things throughout his freshman year, he can play the 3/4 spot as well and is a solid ball handler, when he isn't in a hurry.

The addition of Hubbard gives Iowa more flexability and more options to create mismatches.

I agree with Jon about May. Having played a year in Fran's system, especially it being so drastically different from what he played in before, will be huge. I think we can see improvement from Gatens because of that reason too. I think Gatens will have a great senior year. He will be surrounded by better talent and will be asked to do less. In this case less is more from Matt.

People, we won 11 games last year. If you think Fran is recruiting for depth right now you're out of your mind.

I agree with Jon about May. Having played a year in Fran's system, especially it being so drastically different from what he played in before, will be huge. I think we can see improvement from Gatens because of that reason too. I think Gatens will have a great senior year. He will be surrounded by better talent and will be asked to do less. In this case less is more from Matt.

Not too mention the talent May will be playing against will help elevate his game. Nothing like a little competition to make the team better!!

OK back from 18 holes of golf, a cold beer and Hawkeye nation, thanks Jon I'm pretty sure I'm addicted, I wish you could find out who put in the false Hubbard post and whup him

starters: baasbe, caRTWRIGHT, HUBBARD, gatens, and new big or brommer

bench marble, white, brommer or new big, josh o,

sorry i love May's dunks but I think his minutes will diminish

People, we won 11 games last year. If you think Fran is recruiting for depth right now you're out of your mind.

True but we were playing much better at the end of the season. Would have won 14~16 games with that squad at the end of the year. Also, the Big Ten should be easier than last year so I think that's another 3 ball games. Then you simply determine how many more games we will win with Ogelsby White and Hubbard versus Cole. If that number is 3 or higher we have a shot at the NCAA tournament.

I agree with Jon. I don't know that May will start, but I bet he will see more minutes than Brommer. I don't think Brommer can stay out of foul trouble.

Cartwright/Marble-Hubbard
Gatens/Josh O./Hubbard/Marble
Hubbard/Marble-May/White
Basabe/White-McCabe
Brommer/Archie/Basabe

Marble gets his minutes spread between multiple positions, and Iowa can go small with Basabe at the 5- assuming he can avoid foul troubles.

Another competent big would be great.

cartwright
gatens
may/marble
hubbard
basabe

in see us going small without a true center and running as much as possible.

I can see that, since Hubbard plays bigger than 6'5" and hits the boards very hard. Also, McCaffery said recently he'd like to go faster this year than last year. I'm also impressed with Marble's rebounding.

I would go with this lineup:

Cartwright - PG
Gatens - SG
Hubbard - SF
Basabe - PF
Brommer - C

First off the bench would be May, Marble and White. By Big Ten Conference play starts, I could see White in the starting lineup, but I don't think that moving Basabe to the 5 position would be a good move. Hopefully we do pick up a skilled big man that could possibly challenge Brommer for the starting position. I am one of the few people that believe Brommer could be a skilled big man for us, if he just pushes himself in his final year, and I am always scared to bring in a new player (JUCO or high school recruit) and expect him to be your starter right away.

cartwright
gatens
may/marble
hubbard
basabe

I guess I could see this happening. But I think it would hurt us on defense of not having the necessary length to guard the height of many Big Ten teams.

I would go with this lineup:

Cartwright - PG
Gatens - SG
Hubbard - SF
Basabe - PF
Brommer - C

First off the bench would be May, Marble and White. By Big Ten Conference play starts, I could see White in the starting lineup, but I don't think that moving Basabe to the 5 position would be a good move. Hopefully we do pick up a skilled big man that could possibly challenge Brommer for the starting position. I am one of the few people that believe Brommer could be a skilled big man for us, if he just pushes himself in his final year, and I am always scared to bring in a new player (JUCO or high school recruit) and expect him to be your starter right away.

I agree. I don't see us finding a big that's going to seriously make a difference as a starter. Guys that are THAT talented are already gone. Guards are a dime a dozen. You won't typically find a "Cartwright" when you're talking about bigs.

I think a guy like Gibson or Olaseni could contribute, but I don't think (especially Olaseni) they would be a major upgrade to Brommer. They'd give us some quality depth, and hopefully give us good contributions in their second year.

The best part about this thread is that we now have some depth at 1-4 and are really only missing a true 5.

Between Cartwright, Marble and Hubbard the PG is covered without much drop off.
The shooting guard is Hubbard, Gatens or Oglesby. Don't kid yourself about Marble, the kid is not a shooter. Love him to death but a shooter he is not.
May, Gatens, McCabe, Marble, White (no order) can all play the SF or wing position and Hubbard could roll over there too.
McCabe, White, Basabe (no order) can man the PF position. There are a ton of combinations that can be on the floor without much drop off. If I were a betting man, and I am, then I would expect this team to score in the upper 80s with a bunch of pressing and fast breaks. Fun, fun hoops to watch.
Brommer & Archie are going to be the ones that hold this team back. I'm expecting, and I really mean this, for Archie to surprise the living **** out of people next year. The kid doesn't need to be a leading scorer and if he can figure out how to play fundamental hoops I think you could see him pull an Acie Earl and just dominate on the inside. He's long enough and athletic enough to do it. He just needs that little kick in the *** to get over the top.

I'm excited about hawkeye hoops.

Last edited:
Having more depth will help Fran push up the defensive intensity. This will have a positive effect on Eric May's game. He is far better in transition than in the half court and if we can push tempo, he will gain more confidence and in turn, be a much more effective player. I don't think he will start, but he will have a greater impact due to playing a more comfortable role on the team. JMHO

Although Marble can't shoot now, I'm pretty exited to see him grow and improve. He hits the gym an awful lot for being only a freshman. Hopefully his shot will improve.

Latest posts