New Scoreboard at Kinnick?

Hawk4Life25

How suite it is: Premium seating a big success | Hawk Central

From the article....

Despite the success, UI Athletics Director Gary Barta said there are no plans to expand premium seating at this point. There are other football projects already in the queue, such as an addition to practice facilities and then a scoreboard project, before the athletics department considers other projects, Barta said.

Wonder if they will be doing something to replace the videoboard in the North Endzone?

From the article....

Despite the success, UI Athletics Director Gary Barta said there are no plans to expand premium seating at this point. There are other football projects already in the queue, such as an addition to practice facilities and then a scoreboard project, before the athletics department considers other projects, Barta said.

Wonder if they will be doing something to replace the videoboard in the North Endzone?

Hopefully, those of us in the South Endzone would prefer something bigger.

Funny I didn't read anything about painting the water tower. I thought that project was a done deal and in the works. :rolleyes:

You know, I know the scoreboard is only like a few years old. But high school teams in the south have bigger actual video screens.

From the article....

Where would you even add more premium seats if you wanted to? Suites on the east side? Extend the pressbox to wrap around the northwest corner?

Scoreboard project? The only thing that seems possible is to go bigger on the north endzone video board. Bigger is better I suppose. I think it looks pretty proportional now, going bigger would make a serious statement.

After being in Michigan Stadium last week, we could use a few upgrades to the scoreboards at Kinnick.

Their boards were actually outdated. They just had two of them. I'd love to have a second board just like the one in the south endzone.

I am wondering at what point they look at expansion of stadium seating? anything in the works already? I would assume any expansion would require an upper deck of some sort? just a thought...

Pardon me for recognizing and truly appreciating college football tradition. I love Back in Black, but if anyone honestly believes that THAT is a college football tradition (even after taking off the homer glasses), they don't know much about tradition. The true tradition we have is Kinnick's speech. I might not ever see and hear what I got to hear in Ann Arbor ever again.

I'd get the same feeling if I'd gotten to see old Yankee Stadium, even though I HATE the Yankees. Or if I could have stood in centerfield at the Polo Grounds where Willie Mays made "The Catch". I'd get it seeing OSU's band dot the "i", or seeing Touchdown Jesus
at Notre Dame.

I wouldn't get that way about "Jump Around" at Wisconsin, or stuff like that. I'm talking about the real traditions. War Eagle at Auburn, Howard's Rock at Clemson, the Sea of Red at Nebraska, Rocky Top at Tennessee, etc.

If truly appreciating things like that makes me less of a fan in your eyes, then so be it. I'm glad I can appreciate more than just MY team and MY school's traditions. I love the history of the game, too, not just the little piece that I can claim as my own.

Pardon me for recognizing and truly appreciating college football tradition. I love Back in Black, but if anyone honestly believes that THAT is a college football tradition (even after taking off the homer glasses), they don't know much about tradition. The true tradition we have is Kinnick's speech. I might not ever see and hear what I got to hear in Ann Arbor ever again.

I'd get the same feeling if I'd gotten to see old Yankee Stadium, even though I HATE the Yankees. Or if I could have stood in centerfield at the Polo Grounds where Willie Mays made "The Catch". I'd get it seeing OSU's band dot the "i", or seeing Touchdown Jesus
at Notre Dame.

I wouldn't get that way about "Jump Around" at Wisconsin, or stuff like that. I'm talking about the real traditions. War Eagle at Auburn, Howard's Rock at Clemson, the Sea of Red at Nebraska, Rocky Top at Tennessee, etc.

If truly appreciating things like that makes me less of a fan in your eyes, then so be it. I'm glad I can appreciate more than just MY team and MY school's traditions. I love the history of the game, too, not just the little piece that I can claim as my own.

+1 I like when football fans wear hats that look like cheese or corn!;)

tm3308,

What did you see and hear in Ann Arbor? I was there, what I saw was 2 GIANT and BRAND NEW "press boxes" that created a HUGE shadow over half the field. Come on, "tradition" has been taking a back seat to $$$ for many years. ND can have all the tradition they want, they're mediocre. In college football, WINS and SELL OUTS are the new "tradition."

Schiz51 was being sarcastic (I think) about Michigan's scoreboards (the scoreboards suck at the big house), $256MM renovation and they couldn't get a new video board? Really? It's kinda shocking that Iowa would be thinking about upgrading the scoreboards so soon after installing such great and new scoreboards.

tm3308,

What did you see and hear in Ann Arbor? I was there, what I saw was 2 GIANT and BRAND NEW "press boxes" that created a HUGE shadow over half the field. Come on, "tradition" has been taking a back seat to $$$ for many years. ND can have all the tradition they want, they're mediocre. In college football, WINS and SELL OUTS are the new "tradition."

Schiz51 was being sarcastic (I think) about Michigan's scoreboards (the scoreboards suck at the big house), $256MM renovation and they couldn't get a new video board? Really? It's kinda shocking that Iowa would be thinking about upgrading the scoreboards so soon after installing such great and new scoreboards.

Like I said, I wasn't getting a lump in my throat about the pressboxes. But seeing the team touch the banner, with Hail to the Victors playing, that is still one of the top traditions in all of sports. And for all I know, it's the only time I'll get to see it.

And the fact that tradition has started taking a backseat is all the more reason to appreciate it when you see it.

I would think that the "scoreboard project" would be replacing the two small boards in the NE and NW corners by putting another big board in the center of the north endzone.

Apropos the Michigan scoreboards being bad: that might be intentional seeing as Michigan is really proud of having the first electronic scoreboard in all of college football. So they might want to preserve that older style and avoid new-fangled (albeit better) technology.

I say pull out all the stops, and get a Godzillatron

godzillatron_closeup.jpg