New red shirt proposal

I like the idea of letting red shirts play in the bowl game. Except for the playoff games, those are just exhibitions anyway. And if more draft eligible players are going to start sitting those games out, then why not let the red shirts get a little experience heading into their 'freshman' season.

The up to 4 game rule would be beneficial if a player had to burn their red shirt late in the season due to injury (didn't this happen with Drew Ott?) to help out the team. But like all things I feel like this 4 game rule would start to get exploited for strategic reasons. For example, say Michigan could red shirt a player but still have them play against Ohio St, Mich St, Penn State and Notre Dame but sit out the other games against "lesser" competition. So the player would play a game, sit 2-3 weeks, then play another game, which would obviously not be the intent of the rule.

I prefer the rule 5 years to play period no red shirts. but leave it so a player can play a 6th year if he petitions due to missing most of 2 years due to injury- same as now.

Why not make it fair for everybody. A player gets 5 years to play a total of 48 regular season games. They are elligible for all Bowl games, CCG and playoff games in all 5 years.

A 5th year senior who has played a total of 43 regular season games has to decide if its worth it to come back and only play in 5 regular season games. Ok that does not seem right. How about this instead.

If a player entering his 5th year has played in 36 or less regular season games in his first 4 years, then he is elligible for a 5th year. If he has 37 regular season games or more, he does not get a 5th year. Actually I don't like that as much. Lets go back to my original idea. You get 48 regular season games total in 5 years.

Either way, it should have worked out for Ott to get a 5th year.

I like the thought of that but to have some guidelines on when the players can play or not. I.E. 4 regular season games.

With them being as stingy as they have been with medical redshirts, I can't imagine this proposal being accepted.

Latest posts