New Mexico State

Northside Hawk

Program has been halted immediately and indefinitely while an investigation is made into alleged hazing. And there is a state of Iowa connection (not U of I) to this.

Their head coach is Dubuque native Greg Heiar, who was already having a tumultuous first year before this allegation came down. Obviously this is just an allegation as of now, but they did suspend the program to look further into the situation.

I can remember suggesting Heiar as a potential Iowa HC candidate someday, as he was Gregg Marshall's top assistant at Wichita Stste when they were a legit powerhouse. @RobHowe said hard pass, or something to that effect. As usual, it looks like he was correct.

One of the NMSU players was involved in a fatal shooting before a game against New Mexico earlier in the season. Authorities wanted to question that player and several others and Heiar put them on the bus and headed home before they could talk to the players.

They have a losing record YTD, I wouldn't doubt that this is his first and last year as a head coach there.

New Mexico St is currently in last place in the WAC. It seems like they have been almost an outomatic lock for the WAC Big Dance bid for the last 10 years, except for the year Grand Canyon won it and payed Iowa. They are set to join Conference USA, I think it is, hope this doesn't derail that.

Program has been halted immediately and indefinitely while an investigation is made into alleged hazing. And there is a state of Iowa connection (not U of I) to this.

Their head coach is Dubuque native Greg Heiar, who was already having a tumultuous first year before this allegation came down. Obviously this is just an allegation as of now, but they did suspend the program to look further into the situation.

I can remember suggesting Heiar as a potential Iowa HC candidate someday, as he was Gregg Marshall's top assistant at Wichita Stste when they were a legit powerhouse. @RobHowe said hard pass, or something to that effect. As usual, it looks like he was correct.
Yeah, I still think Jans was the one who built the Shockers when they were making noise in the Dance.

Yeah, I still think Jans was the one who built the Shockers when they were making noise in the Dance.
Very possible. Kind of like how Lickliter assistant Brad Stevens was the real man behind Butler's ascent just as they were on the rise.

Some have said Bill Frieder was responsible for a lot of Johnny Orr's success at Michigan in the 1970's because of his recruiting acumen.

No way I'd want to risk bringing a kid in here who participated in that crap. Of course anyone wanting to transfer would deny involvement. I wouldn't take a chance that later on down the road we find out one of our players did some stuff like that at NMS and bring negativity on the program.

Could there be some good kids in the program that didn't participate in the hazing? Sure. But the risk of not finding out for sure is too high, IMO.

And before you go on one of your "whaddabout" tirades about Iowa sports being shady, don't.

One kid does not make a program shit show. I think if a team vetted a player closely, a player should get a chance elsewhere. But, if I was a coach, I'd sure investigate and look hard at a player.

Losing record from the WAC conference. I doubt there would be any players who we would want from a talent standpoint, let alone character. Fran will stay 2,000 miles away from that situation.
Yeah it's a moot point, really.

Very possible. Kind of like how Lickliter assistant Brad Stevens was the real man behind Butler's ascent just as they were on the rise.

Some have said Bill Frieder was responsible for a lot of Johnny Orr's success at Michigan in the 1970's because of his recruiting acumen.
Mark Few and Dan Monson

Drew Speraw, Kirk's son, is the associate commissioner of basketball for the WAC so you can imagine he's right in the middle of all this getting ready for the conference tournament. That's some good experience he's getting although I don't know that it's the kind you want.

Latest posts