New Iowa Football Depth Chart Shows Youth Movement

So so much of this yr is on Petras shoulders. I think the Oline will be solid (even with 2 new tackles the interior should be dominant) He's got quick fast talented WRs to throw to that he's been with over a year now to have built up a report with. That includes Laporta. Oh and we have some RB named Goodson that folks think is worthy enough to be on the Doak Walker list. So the X factor is Petras and can he take the bull by the horns and play confident and aggressive or will he be tenative and be inaccurate?
Goodson for Heisman. Iowa this year should run and throw to Sam LaPorta. That's literally the playbook. If they beat ISU in lAmes this year, watch out.

There's some examples I imagine of football players (and probably basketball too) who lettered 4 years at School A, then used the grad-transfer portal opportunity and lettered at the gaining school as well? (Russell Wilson?)

Goodson for Heisman. Iowa this year should run and throw to Sam LaPorta. That's literally the playbook. If they beat ISU in lAmes this year, watch out.
Who ever comes out victorious in regards to the tilt in Ames this year is going to take a huge leap forward on the national scene...however, it doesn't mean the loser is finished, by any means...

Spot on!! good take!
We aren't very deep at any position besides DB though so that has me nervous. If we stay healthy and QB plays well I don't see any excuses though. You just can't hide your QB in college football. You win and lose because of them not despite them.

If Goodson is in the running for the Heisman that'd be saying something because QBs tend to dominate that award lately. So if he's in that discussion that'd mean both he and the team are doing really well.

Yeah the ceiling for what this team can get to will be decided by the time we play ISU. We can do what happened last yr and still have a good yr if we lose em. But sky is the limit if we win even one of them. Not sure what's realistic to be expecting but here's to hoping

If Goodson is in the running for the Heisman that'd be saying something because QBs tend to dominate that award lately. So if he's in that discussion that'd mean both he and the team are doing really well.

Yeah the ceiling for what this team can get to will be decided by the time we play ISU. We can do what happened last yr and still have a good yr if we lose em. But sky is the limit if we win even one of them. Not sure what's realistic to be expecting but here's to hoping
I think if Goodson's in the running for Heisman this year Petras has a damn good season. It's going to take a passing game to keep 8-9 guys out of the box to open up the running game for Goodson. We keep them honest through the air and I think Goodson and the ground game have plenty of success.

I think if Goodson's in the running for Heisman this year Petras has a damn good season. It's going to take a passing game to keep 8-9 guys out of the box to open up the running game for Goodson. We keep them honest through the air and I think Goodson and the ground game have plenty of success.
Yeah it'd be tough for a Troy Davis to pop up nowadays. A great talent putting up huge numbers on a bad team just doesn't really happen nowadays for RBs

Iowa has struggled defensively when having to replace nearly an entire defensive line, even with experience in the back 7. I am thinking 2011.

Because Parker (and the Parker before him) are not big blitzers, there is a ton of pressure on the defensive line to not only hold the point of attack on run plays, but get pressure on the QB on pass plays without extra help. I remain very concerned at the lack of size and experience up front. That is by far my biggest concern for the team. But, Parker is the best at what he does, so hopefully that unit develops quickly.

Iowa has struggled defensively when having to replace nearly an entire defensive line, even with experience in the back 7. I am thinking 2011.

Because Parker (and the Parker before him) are not big blitzers, there is a ton of pressure on the defensive line to not only hold the point of attack on run plays, but get pressure on the QB on pass plays without extra help. I remain very concerned at the lack of size and experience up front. That is by far my biggest concern for the team. But, Parker is the best at what he does, so hopefully that unit develops quickly.
Good post and spot on. This has been my thinking all off season.

Iowa has some really good LBs to mitigate the risk this year, and Since around 2015, Iowa just kind of reloads on the DL. 2011 isn't happening. This team and schedule is set up more like 04, 09, 15 or 16.

His pass-catching abilities are part of what make him dangerous as well. Averaged 10.1 yards per reception and two a game last year.

Iowa has some really good LBs to mitigate the risk this year, and Since around 2015, Iowa just kind of reloads on the DL. 2011 isn't happening. This team and schedule is set up more like 04, 09, 15 or 16.
I like your optimism and certainly hope you are right. I agree that the DL has been reloading the last 5 years, but there always felt like there were some studs in the rotation that were up in coming. You could obviously see Eppy was a monster even though he was not a starter. Nixon was another guy that was obviously a beast waiting to explode. I guess my concern is that I see some good guys that were in the rotation last year, but I don't see anyone that looked to me like an all-conference in the making sort of a player. Players can emerge, of course. But, if you put a gun to my head, I would predict we will get solid DL play this year only, and accordingly, the defense as a whole will take a small step backwards.

All the more reason the offense has to be improved this year. A lot.

Ah........................ Iowa plays ISU its second game this coming season. I don't think the ceiling will for sure be defined by then, especially because of Iowa's history the first few games, the fact they get stronger as the years goes on and still a younger QB. Iowa will have holes at certain positions and most likely will still be trying different groupings or players at that point. I don't think we are going to know the ceiling after one game with Indiana.

Great post! Iowa is as only as good as their defense is, and in particular their defensive line. They have to stop the run and get pressure without blitzing. Iowa hangs its hat on those two things for the team to have success.

Great post! Iowa is as only as good as their defense is, and in particular their defensive line. They have to stop the run and get pressure without blitzing. Iowa hangs its hat on those two things for the team to have success.
100% agree!!, I would add, that we we get contain and pressure off the ends ( Clayborn, Eppy, Roth, Ghoulston, (sp) etc. we really excel. it makes sense right?, we have ends who pressure and can string out a run, that allows our tackles to slide to gaps and funnel runs up the middle.
My one question is we seem to be a bit slow to read, react and cover the RPO's
do we maybe give Evans more playing time with the line backers? hes a super high motor guy that can run like Campbell and Jacobs ... love Benson, but can he run with TE's or a tail back in the flat?
Thoughts?

I like your optimism and certainly hope you are right. I agree that the DL has been reloading the last 5 years, but there always felt like there were some studs in the rotation that were up in coming. You could obviously see Eppy was a monster even though he was not a starter. Nixon was another guy that was obviously a beast waiting to explode. I guess my concern is that I see some good guys that were in the rotation last year, but I don't see anyone that looked to me like an all-conference in the making sort of a player. Players can emerge, of course. But, if you put a gun to my head, I would predict we will get solid DL play this year only, and accordingly, the defense as a whole will take a small step backwards.

All the more reason the offense has to be improved this year. A lot.

Yeah, I'm not seeing the stars in the making on this d-line. I don't want to say the drop is as drastic as 2005, but it isn't like we lose Nelson to the NFL and then have Epenesa taking over as the starter, either.

If Iowa is gonna have three all conference guys on defense, I want them to be a D-end, a D-tackle and the cash. If we have three stars in those positions, our defense will be fantastic. But if we have no all conference linemen, even if we have an all conference LB and 2 all conference corners or a safety, we ain't gonna be very good because QBs will have all day to pick us apart.

One good end who can hold contain and occasionally bring heat and a good tackle who can make the pocket uncomfortable can really make an otherwise fairly pedestrian defense look amazing.

Ah........................ Iowa plays ISU its second game this coming season. I don't think the ceiling will for sure be defined by then, especially because of Iowa's history the first few games, the fact they get stronger as the years goes on and still a younger QB. Iowa will have holes at certain positions and most likely will still be trying different groupings or players at that point. I don't think we are going to know the ceiling after one game with Indiana.
Well what I said was by the ISU game is over we'll know what the ceiling can be. As in what's possible to be done. If we lose those first two games I don't think winning the BIG is on the table along with the playoffs. We can only get to about what we did last yr if that's the case.

However winning both or splitting them and there's a whole lot more on the table for them to accomplish including the playoffs. So that's what I mean by knowing where the bar can be set. If Iowa is 2-0 after those two games the sky will be the limit and we'll have some major national hype going.

In 2013, Iowa' top 2 sackers were LBs Morris (7) and Kirksey (2.5). Their 3 starting LBs accounted for 11.5 of their 24 sacks (24 was a really low number).

Since that time, Parker has become much more comfortable with changing up personnel groupings, and also more comfortable in man-coverage (those 2 things are related as it is a lot easy to trust your guys in man when you are in nickel or dime peronnel). Iowa probably has 8 legit starting-quality DBs (Moss, Hankins, Merriwether, Koerner, Belton, Roberts, Williams, Harris), and all those but the safeties could be trusted in man.

In short, I think Iowa will show some creativity in getting pressure on QBs. But we might have to win on 1st and 2nd downs to unlock that creativity.

In 2013, Iowa' top 2 sackers were LBs Morris (7) and Kirksey (2.5). Their 3 starting LBs accounted for 11.5 of their 24 sacks (24 was a really low number).

Since that time, Parker has become much more comfortable with changing up personnel groupings, and also more comfortable in man-coverage (those 2 things are related as it is a lot easy to trust your guys in man when you are in nickel or dime peronnel). Iowa probably has 8 legit starting-quality DBs (Moss, Hankins, Merriwether, Koerner, Belton, Roberts, Williams, Harris), and all those but the safeties could be trusted in man.

In short, I think Iowa will show some creativity in getting pressure on QBs. But we might have to win on 1st and 2nd downs to unlock that creativity.
Agree with this. Phil has been rotating defensive linemen more than Norm did, and it has helped them keep their legs late in the year.

Latest posts