New Gilman article

Is it possible that Brands wanted him to be 100% committed to college wrestling and he has plans of freestyle? The last two "can't miss" that should have been ours went somewhere else (Gilman and McCauley) seem to have national aspirations at a young age.

That has nothing to do with it. Thomas Gilman is 100% commited to wrestling in college. Tom Brands has always wanted to recruit guys who had olympic aspirations beyond college as well. McCauley wanted to go to the OTC first and the staff wasn't sure about that. Gilman has never thought of that and will go get his education and wrestle folkstyle first.

ooooo guess that settles getting him which was a long shot....the honesty quote is what throws me off

So far we've got 1 confirmed recruit in Clark? More good wrestlers have been turned away than accepted thus far. Recruiting is a frustrating business from a fan's perspective...will be glad when this is over and we have a full recruiting class.

I am not sure how big this class will be actually. They don't have a bunch of money to throw around and they need to land a good looking prospect at 197. I know Koethe does not have a committable offer and they see him more as a walkon. Wisconsin is making a play at the ICW trio of Koethe, Hathaway and Laux. Miklus is looking at UNI, Mizzou and Nebraska and Hathaway is looking hard at UNI and Pitt is in there too amongst many others. Meyer from SEP looks to be looking at academic prestige before anything else and is talking with some ivy's along with Stanford, Duke and NW. I think the Miklus situation could change with one phone call from Iowa, but it needs to be soon. I am not sure what Iowa's plan is regarding the 197 spot, but it doesn't appear to be many highly attractive options out there right now.

So far we've got 1 confirmed recruit in Clark? More good wrestlers have been turned away than accepted thus far. Recruiting is a frustrating business from a fan's perspective...will be glad when this is over and we have a full recruiting class.

What about Topher Carton? Aren't he and clark both committed for 2012?

Do you have any idea on who we may be after? So far, we've turned away a top 10 recruit that begged to come here (who also soundly beat our ONLY commit and will end up at one of our biggest rivals or conference rival), and a kid who by many accounts was an amazing pick up at our most needed weight. Frustrating is close, down right maddening is more appropriate! I know everyone will say "trust Brands", but at this point we seem to be on the outside looking in with this year's class.

Topher has not confirmed anything and has refused to talk on the record about it. I have no idea who they are after because they are still evaluating. Not getting Gilman will end up biting in the rear at some point, but they had their reasons for choosing Clark over him.

Is Iowa still involved with Harrah from Illinois? That is a 197 pounder that, while not as good as Petersen, is really the next best thing this year. It is possible in my mind that your staff has concluded that outside of Petersen there was no one in that weight range worth putting money into, and they will take their lumps and try again next year.

They have not been involved with Harrah and I think you are on the right track. Outside of Peterson there really is not any sure things in this class as far as 197 types. You may see them go after a couple of late bloomers or JUCO route if they get the right fit.

I'd like to see another guy who can go 125 or at least go oposite of clark like Carton, Devos or Laux. I agree after Peterson 197 is a grab bag but we are not exactly full of bodies at 184 or 197 and a guy like Miklus would seem like someone worth putting a little money into as he projects as a 184/197 and grew up likeing Iowa. We also will have zero guys behind Telford next year if we don't get another 285 in the room. If money is tight then I see no reason to spend much on anyone between 141 and 174.

As many have inferred...a good upperweight is better than no upperweight. Surely there's something in the mix.

There are some good 197 prospects out there but no sure things for sure. I personally like Sam Brooks, Burak, and Miklus all better than Gage Harrah.

Buraks brother, Micah is the current 197 lbr for Penn, he has been ranked in the top ten almost all of last year if not the whole year. Good wrestling family! Would be a nice grab.

Last edited:

Latest posts