New C Recruit

JDavis11

Walter Pitchford per tweet by Rob Howe. Tweet also mentions interest from Indiana and Memphis. We threw his name around after he was released from is LOI from DePaul but I was wondering if anyone knew anything about him and if he'd be a good fit.

Twitter

Last edited:
Maybe I just don't know enough about this guy- but a 6'8" 210lb recruit really doesn't excite me for a C prospect? Sounds like he's very athletic though and maybe a little raw with decent upside.

He might grow a little more, who knows. But if the schools listed above (MSU, Indiana, UK,etc.) are showing interest, that tells me that he must be worth recruiting..

Without seeing any of these recruits play, my next best berometer is to look at what other schools are looking at him.

Edit: According to Pitchford's scout profile, he is 6'10":
http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=4364043

Last edited:
Maybe I just don't know enough about this guy- but a 6'8" 210lb recruit really doesn't excite me for a C prospect? Sounds like he's very athletic though and maybe a little raw with decent upside.

He is more around 6'9/6'10 and he is more of a point forward. He can play in the paint or out on the perimeter (currently shooting 41% from 3) and is very athletic. If the Hawkeyes are fortunate enough to land him he would make an immediate impact.

He is more around 6'9/6'10 and he is more of a point forward. He can play in the paint or out on the perimeter (currently shooting 41% from 3) and is very athletic. If the Hawkeyes are fortunate enough to land him he would make an immediate impact.

Much appreciated- I did a little more searching on him as well and there was more good than bad said about this kid... completely agree now, sounds like a good get if we have a shot.

Kid needs to receive a nice "third party" envelope. Just need to make sure it isn't traceable back to the coaches or program ;).

As long it can't be proven that HE has no knowledge of it- just give it to his dad and it's perfectly legal...lol!

You really want the Center position in the hands of Brommer/ Cougs if he comes back?

Ideally Iowa would get a banger with good offensive skills down low. But if that doesn't happen, getting some tall slasher types that can get to the rim will work in FM's system. Brommer needs to move on and I would be shocked if Cougs came back. I mean do you really expect that he will take this year to get in shape? Heck, I wouldn't bet against him failing out of Kirkwood.

We don't need a C that is offensive minded. Why does everyone think that 7' C's grow on trees and they all come with the skill set of Shaq? They don't. There are very few, very few, Cs that actually have offensive skills.

Our C needs to be 6'10" but preferably taller and have the ability to block shots - think Acie Earl. He needs to be able to patrol the middle and allow our guards to overplay the passing lanes and not worry about getting beat back door. A C needs to be able to rebound the ball and kick it out to the guards who are heading down court.

The guy described here sounds like a perfect 4. A tall athletic slasher that has range. A guy that can get to the rim against taller players and run the floor. Sounds perfect.

at this point, ANY athletic bigs would be great. just someone to run the court and get to the rim would be astounding.

Acie Earl would be nice, but I'd settle for another Erik Hansen former B10 Defensive POTY. Someone who's 6'10", blocks shots and can just own the paint on defense. We have enough guys who can rebound, but if we had a defensive big guy to check other teams bigs I think the team could really take a step up.

You really want the Center position in the hands of Brommer/ Cougs if he comes back?

I don't think I said anything remotely along those lines, and don't know where you'd even make that assumption. Just questioned this guy before I knew much about him- that is all.

I would love a 6'8 center with hops. The days of the 7ft center is gone. Height is over rated. Athleticism is the key. IMO

Kid needs to receive a nice "third party" envelope. Just need to make sure it isn't traceable back to the coaches or program ;).

No, the envelope needs to go to his dad. As Cecil Newton has shown, the father of the player can do anything he wants and the player will remain eligible. Just don't put Iowa City in the return address.