New Big Ten

HuckFinn

Just saw a Facebook post that the BT network will have a special tomorrow at 3:30 central time revealing the new conference schedule model that begins in 2024. The show will apparently reveal the 2024/schedule itself. This will be interesting, assuming the Facebook post is confirmed. The post was from Saturday Tradition. Usually pretty reliable.

my guess is no divisions but there will be a framework for scheduling...protecting some rivalries.

my guess is no divisions but there will be a framework for scheduling...protecting some rivalries.
I don't see how that is functional, but I get that is the direction of things. Iowa has 3 rivals that need protecting (Nebby, Minny, and Wisky). Rutgers has none.

Even if they do not call them divisions for purposes of determining who advances to the conference semi or championship, it still makes sense to have pods of 4 teams that play each other every year to protect rivalries, and then you rotate through the other divisions.

USC, UCLA, NW, Illinois
Iowa, Minny, Wisky, Nebbie
Michigan, MSU, OSU, and Purdue
Indiana, Rutgers, Maryland, PSU

That works except for separating Purdue and Indiana.

There is no perfect way to do this, but protecting regional rivalries has to be paramount. That is what makes conference play so great.

its probably ok to have some schools with a protected rivaly and some that dont. I'll bet some bright mind wrote a program to do this scheduling. not sure mortal minds can do it.

Brett McMurphy has posted a sneak peak of some games from the 2024 Big Ten schedule.

Big Ten’s 2024 conference schedule, sources told @ActionNetworkHQ, includes:

Michigan at USC
Ohio State at UCLA
Wisconsin at Michigan
Iowa at USC
UCLA at Michigan
Wisconsin at USC
Nebraska at UCLA
Iowa at Ohio State
USC at Penn State
UCLA at Iowa

Why would they protect Iowa - Nebraska? Fine by me if they played once every 4 years or something. Gimme Minny, Wisky, and Illinois perhaps. Neb. ain't even a true big ten team. They are just ugly and boring and don't look forward to that game. The same team the same day each year thing was horrible esp. on BF. Don't want the same games each year the day before. Why do I want that the day after Thanksgiving?

Why would they protect Iowa - Nebraska? Fine by me if they played once every 4 years or something. Gimme Minny, Wisky, and Illinois perhaps. Neb. ain't even a true big ten team. They are just ugly and boring and don't look forward to that game. The same team the same day each year thing was horrible esp. on BF. Don't want the same games each year the day before. Why do I want that the day after Thanksgiving?
Yup

If you don't recognize Nebraska as one of Iowa's biggest rivals, we have been following different teams. It is a border state, the fans don't like each other much, and the games have been compelling for the most part. Nebbie thwarted Iowa from winning the West last year. Iowa has put the nail in the coffin of a couple of crappy Nebbie coaches the last few years.

Read Trev Albert's quote and he stated that he listed Iowa as the #1 game to protect. We are their biggest rival in conference for sure. I think Iowa has two primary rivals between Nebbie and Minny and for me, I hate Nebbie more so they are the biggest rival to me. Hope the game always occurs on Black Friday as well. Good tradition there.

If you don't recognize Nebraska as one of Iowa's biggest rivals, we have been following different teams. It is a border state, the fans don't like each other much, and the games have been compelling for the most part. Nebbie thwarted Iowa from winning the West last year. Iowa has put the nail in the coffin of a couple of crappy Nebbie coaches the last few years.

Read Trev Albert's quote and he stated that he listed Iowa as the #1 game to protect. We are their biggest rival in conference for sure. I think Iowa has two primary rivals between Nebbie and Minny and for me, I hate Nebbie more so they are the biggest rival to me. Hope the game always occurs on Black Friday as well. Good tradition there.
They're not a traditional rival, and they're sort of a mess. It is more important to them than us.

Latest posts