New BBall Recruit!!!

Is this just someone we found who doesnt have an offer or does the staff have legit. interest in this kid??

This has to be a Speraw find. It looks like he'd commit if offered. He looks decent to me but I'm far from a basketball scout.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGvQzDzq9lo]YouTube - Angel Rodriguez and Cody Mann help Dr. Krop upset nationally ranked Miller Grove[/ame]

ESPN player evaluation
December, 2009: Mann pushes the ball make or miss at a great pace. He has excellent court vision and a quick first step that he uses to beat defenders. He can get in the lane at will where he makes pretty good decisions although at times he can get sped up that will lead into turnovers. Mann is small but he competes at both ends. He can make open shots to the arc when set. Mann also does a good job at making free throws at the end of games. Defensively Mann works to pressure the ball with his quick feet and active hands. He must work to be a consistent performer but this young lead guard has excellent upside.
May, 2009: Mann is a quick lead guard that must add weight and strength but he competes plays with heart and affects the game in a positive way on both ends of the floor. He is a top notch defender that has very quick hands and great lateral foot speed as he applies relentless pressure on the ball. He beats ball handlers to the spot and if the opposing point guard has a shaky handle Mann will rack up a ton of steals. He does a great job of pushing the ball in transition and can also slow down the tempo and set the offense. He constantly leads and communicates to his teammates on the floor which is rare for a guard this young. He can penetrate the lane at will and drive, draw and kick to teammates for open shots with his excellent court vision. Mann is also a respectable three point shooter off the catch with time and space. The young guard has great upside and will be one to watch as he develops.

MaxPreps had this as well:
Positions: G
Ht/Wt: 6'1"/170
Class: Senior
School: Dr. Krop Lightning Season: Varsity 10-11
Sport: Basketball Overall: 1-25-0 League: 1-13-0
National Rank: 140
FL State Rank: 5

Here's another video that might be of interest

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x240-wRcVvM"]YouTube - Cody Mann Highlights[/ame]

He has a nasty little crossover, but the video never shows his shot. I am more surprised that the other kid is going to K State. He did not have very much "pop" on those layups.

Thanks for posting the second video. His shot seems to have good form but it is a set shot which is not always ideal for a pg. I am most impressed by his ability to use either hand to finish around the rim which is not too common at the college level. It reminded me of Kyrie Irving who seemed to perfect the finish with both hands before his injury.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is Halo exactly? The image in my mind has nothing to do with basketball and everything to do with xbox...:confused:

Well if we whiff on Stokes/Glover/Carter this kid looks pretty good to me. However my evaluation talents are a bit suspect.

IMO, folks are getting way too worked about the guard spot. If we whiff on Stokes, Glover and Carter, there are still lots of Cody Mann type players out there. In some aspects, I would rather have a kid like Cartwrwight who didn't get a ton of attention and was hungry to prove he could play in the big ten. Some of these kids with 5-10 offers just want the spotlight and drama, which brings their decision making into question.

I am much more concerned about Olaseni and Katenda / other bigs.

Saying you want a player because he isn't a highly regarded recruit because of speculation that the higher regarded kids will have poor decision making skills is interesting justification.

So if we would have got Cezar or Paige you would have been upset? Really good thing we didn't get Harrison Barnes then as well.

That being said, it wouldn't be the worst thing for Iowa to get a quick guard smaller guard who can check guys that might give our bigger guards some difficulty with speed.

Kid has a very quick first step, uses both hands, and I loved his answer about who was recruiting him and where he wants to go. "I just want to go to college. That's why I'm working hard." (huge smile on his face) - seems like a good kid that would fit in well.
Fran and staff work their tails off. Go Hawks!

"So if we would have got Cezar or Paige you would have been upset?"

I think there is a bigger drop between Cezar to Stokes and Glover, than there is from Glover/Stokes to Mann.

Eli Carter is the wildcard, who knows what he is doing.

The videos both show that he is able to handle pretty well with alot of contact, thats very important.
I don't think his 3pt shot being a set shot is that big of a deal since we have other shooters that can drop it in if they cn get open a little. MG will rise to a higher level again next year with more scorers to defend on the court.
If he just continues to handle well and break down the D like the videos show he'll do exactly whats needed.

Latest posts