New AP Poll - Iowa In The Top 10

Agreed. This team looks promising, but it's too early to say we've officially arrived at that "next level".

In case nobody has looked at our remaining schedule, it's a meat grinder. Iowa could well absorb quite a few more losses. There aren't many games left on that list that I'm ready to assume are wins..

@ #21 Michigan
@ NW
#3 MSU
@ Illinois
#17 OSU
#21 Michigan
@ PSU
@ Indiana
#9 Wisconsin
@ Minnesota
Purdue
@ #3 MSU
Illinois

Like I say, a 12-6 conference record is realistic. But that record will be better than the conference record for 8 Big Ten teams.

True most of that Rico.. The Big was tough when Mr. Davis was here. But it was not the elite bb conference in the country that it is NOW. Alford was fortunate that the Big was the softest it ever was or his run would have been much worse. Lick got in at its best. I still don't think we'll win the BIG this year.But Fran now has us in contention. That's all I could ever ask for.

I think I'd disagree somewhat with that statement. In the 13 years that Mr. Davis was at Iowa, the B1G had a total of 9 final fours and 4 teams in the championship game. Only the ACC with 13 total final fours and 6 in the championship game would boast more. But the difference is that Duke and North Carolina make up all of the final four and championship game appearances, whereas Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, Ohio State and Michigan State can all lay claim to final fours and/or championship game appearances from 1987 thru 1999. So while the ACC was more top heavy than the B1G, the B1G took a backseat to no one during that timeframe.

whereas Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, Ohio State and Michigan State can all lay claim to final fours and/or championship game appearances from 1987 thru 1999..

When was the Goofs Final Four appearance?

Vacated appearances do not count.

I hate to do this...but imagine if we made just a few more fts against Vill, ISU, WISC. Good lord...#1 in all the land. I know I know I know....if if if.

I am happy as he// about the program and the job Fran is doing and the way the guys are playing.... just can't help wondering...

All that said...Let's keep this baby going !

I hate to do this...but imagine if we made just a few more fts against Vill, ISU, WISC. Good lord...#1 in all the land. I know I know I know....if if if.

I am happy as he// about the program and the job Fran is doing and the way the guys are playing.... just can't help wondering...

All that said...Let's keep this baby going !

If we were undefeated, we'd probably be sitting at #3, maybe #2. I'm not sure what to make of Arizona since they've not played a particularly difficult schedule to this point, but they started higher and haven't lost. Syracuse has a pretty strong resume right now, with wins over Duke, Pitt, Villanova, Indiana, UNC, Baylor and Minnesota. I'd have them at #1 right now.

When was the Goofs Final Four appearance?

Vacated appearances do not count.
IIRC this also "technically" means that Iowa should have a share of the regular season conference title in 1997 since the Gophers had to vacate that title. Iowa was tied for second with Purdue at 12-6 that year (and I believe beat Purdue both times they played so...)

Well, technically we haven't actually taken that step. We're just presented an opportunity (and a very realistic one, at that) to accomplish it this week. And I'm pretty hopeful that we'll get it done.

I was mostly joking when I said that but we are in position to be at the next step that Mr. Davis couldn't get us to. We could never seem to get to the sweet 16 with him once he had a team full of his own recruits. Fran has us set up for a potential 3 year run with the team he has now. If they take advantage of it, it might just get the ball rolling.

OSU is officially out of contention as of tonight. IN and IL aint gonna challenge. MN is tough but they aint gonna be there either at the end, I see them at 5th. That leaves MSU, WI, UM, and the Hawks.

WHY NOT US? We shouldn't lay down for any of those teams.

IIRC this also "technically" means that Iowa should have a share of the regular season conference title in 1997 since the Gophers had to vacate that title. Iowa was tied for second with Purdue at 12-6 that year (and I believe beat Purdue both times they played so...)

^^ this is true

You think that will happen? I have to admit Michigan scares the hell out of me. Stauskas has stepped it up big time this year but I think Iowa is one of the few teams that can defend him.

This game has me nervous.

I'm not worried. We've been in every game this year. We should be in this one...think we will win. I'm not going to get to bent out of shape if we lose. This game doesn't seal our fate. I think Michigan State is the only other team that has a good chance of winning at Michigan.

Agreed. This team looks promising, but it's too early to say we've officially arrived at that "next level".

In case nobody has looked at our remaining schedule, it's a meat grinder. Iowa could well absorb quite a few more losses. There aren't many games left on that list that I'm ready to assume are wins..

@ #21 Michigan
@ NW
#3 MSU
@ Illinois
#17 OSU
#21 Michigan
@ PSU
@ Indiana
#9 Wisconsin
@ Minnesota
Purdue
@ #3 MSU
Illinois

I'm just quoting your post because you posted the schedule...no reflection on your opinion. My order of concern.

1 - @ MSU
2 - @ Michigan
3 - @ Minnesota
4 - MSU

I will consider it an upset if we lose any of the other 9. I think we will go undefeated at home. If we lose 1 through 3 we're 14-4. I don't know if that will be enough.

#7 might be a real possibility in the next poll if we take care of business this week. Nova will take a pretty steep fall after getting beat by nearly 30 at home, Kansas is in a dogfight and I think Minnesota can take down Wisconsin this week. Then you've got a #3/#7 matchup in Carver, meaning a win gets us in the top 5.

This week is full of exciting possibilities.

Iowa's current off/def efficiency 3/28 #3 in country, and on pace for FF appearance.

Last 11 yrs of data show this:

Teams that reached the Elite Eight: 15.9/19.4
... that reached the Final Four: 15.9/16.4
... that reached the title game: 11.9 /11.3
... that won the national title: 4.5/8.5

Latest posts