New 2012 offer

Do we want to compete? I have no doubt that Fran wants to compete and I would expect that he sees something in Mr. Greene that makes him think that with him we will be more competitive. Personally, I want us to compete and then some! Go get him, Fran!

Do we want to compete? I have no doubt that Fran wants to compete and I would expect that he sees something in Mr. Greene that makes him think that with him we will be more competitive. Personally, I want us to compete and then some! Go get him, Fran!

I couldn't agree anymore. It's hard to tell off 2-3 videos but this guy looks good! We need a guy that can get to the basket for easy shots whenever were in a slump. A team can feed off his energy. From what I can tell he looks like a straight up hustle guy.

Fran was asked if he'd use his last scholarship earlier in the year. He said it would have to be a player with pretty amazing abilities. That he's not going to just throw it out there for anyone. Take it for what it is. What sucks is if he accepts, we only have 1 scholarship for next year(correct if wrong).

But I think we really need this type of player.

I hope that Fran fills that last scholly this year with an athletic wing...and this guy might fit that bill. Be nice if he could shoot also.

I think Fran knows that he has a lot of good parts for next year,but waiting til Mel and Devyn are seniors to make the tourny is no good. Go for it next year. Get 13 guys on scholly,let them compete and if a player or two wants to redshirt..fine.
I am not worried about only having one in 2013...not a problem,especially if someone redshirts. Iowa has a window of opportunity next year,with our soft schedule again in the league....go for it!

Interesting. I didn't see another guard offer coming for this class and expected McCaffrey to go after a more physical presence down low. You can never have too many versatile, athletic players I guess.

The best part about this offer is I will be happy either way.

He commits = makes one of the more anticipated Iowa classes in the last 20 years (certainly the last 10 years) of Iowa basketball even more exciting.

He doesn't commit = still a great class, plus two more offers for the next year.

I'm not surprised by the guard recruit. Think about what Fran likes to do and that is run and attack. He has 2 big guys coming in next year and Olaseni will be like a new recruit as I think he will get some minutes and be that big rebounding body inside next year, so inside (at the 4 and 5) we have White (play 3 as well), McCabe, Basabe, Olaseni, Woodbury and Meyer. Why do we need another big man. Better get a guard.

Not sure I llike our chances if Loyola-Chicago is in the mix. The chance to have Cully P. as your backcourt running mate playing in front of 700 fans might be more than we can overcome.

Since the class was signed Fran has commented that the thing we have missed is a slashing wing that can score and create. I am guessing that Fran feels he can fill that vacancy. Looking at the roster we are weak in that area. May next year hasn't shown an ability to score. I wouldn't call marble or white a slasher. Josh O is a shooter mainly. Clemmens and Gessel are PGs. Ingram is a bit short for a wing and is known more for defense.

Fran obviously is making a push for next year and if it means having a very loaded class he is willing to do that. He has talked about redshirting somebody so that may off-balance it somewhat.

The great thing for Fran at this moment is he is recruiting from a position of strength right now. If he didn't think Green was good enough or fit a need for this team he wouldn't have offered. When was the last time we had a roster of 11 scholarship players like we will next year, if we didn't sign anyone else?

I couldn't agree anymore. It's hard to tell off 2-3 videos but this guy looks good! We need a guy that can get to the basket for easy shots whenever were in a slump. A team can feed off his energy. From what I can tell he looks like a straight up hustle guy.

Fran was asked if he'd use his last scholarship earlier in the year. He said it would have to be a player with pretty amazing abilities. That he's not going to just throw it out there for anyone. Take it for what it is. What sucks is if he accepts, we only have 1 scholarship for next year(correct if wrong).

But I think we really need this type of player.

Clearly Fran has a very specific vision that he is trying to bring to reality. At first glance this kid seems somewhat Anthony Hubbard-ish in terms of his skill set. A type of player that Fran is still searching for (or searching for again as the case may be).

Hasn't been mentioned yet, so my apologies for premature cynicism, but any chance this has something to do with the eligibility of one of the other guards? Just seems like an odd offer given Gessell, Ingram, Clemmons, Marble, Oglesby. Maybe it is insurance against May's nagging back injury? Or just a player McCaffrey feels can help the team? Still think a big body is a more pressing need than a 2 or 3.

ya i'd say if this kid comes we got a good shot at having a fab 5 and to be honest contending for title lol this kid with woody and mike and ingram meyers we would be beast mode all sorts of talent where did he come from tho?

Hasn't been mentioned yet, so my apologies for premature cynicism, but any chance this has something to do with the eligibility of one of the other guards? Just seems like an odd offer given Gessell, Ingram, Clemmons, Marble, Oglesby. Maybe it is insurance against May's nagging back injury? Or just a player McCaffrey feels can help the team? Still think a big body is a more pressing need than a 2 or 3.

We will agree to disagree.

Big bodies next year for power forward/center:
Woody- 7'1''
Gabe- 6'10''
Meyer- 6'10''
White- 6'9''
Basabe- 6'7''
McCabe-6'7''

Wing players for sg/sf
May- 6'5''
Marble- 6'7''
Ingram- 6'2''
Oglesby- 6'5''

PG
Gesell
Clemmons

We have plenty of ''big bodies'' for next year and beyond. Fran wants to play fast and press 94 ft. You need 6'3 -6'6'' type players to do that effectively,especially for entires games. Personally, I think that Fran sees Ingram as a possible redshirt to work on his perimeter offensive game.
He wanted Hubbard here to fill a role this year,but did not happen. Still need someone to fill that role. We need more explosive wing athletes,like Fran had at Siena. May,Oglesby, and even Marble are not really explosive in terms of quickness. Greene might fit the bill.

it will be interesting to see who starts i look at this above and i see 2-3 guys who seem more as guys coming off bench the rest look like they could possibly start!

I don't disagree with you JHHawk, but big bodies do not always equal big results. Outside of White and sometimes Basabe, we really don't know what the others can do. I guess if all else fails we will have lots of big bodies to throw out there....a luxury we haven't had in a while.

Latest posts