New 2010 signee

This is a great pick up! we really needed a point guard! Also his scholarship will be open in 2012 For Marcus Paige!

So who gets the starting role in 2010-2011? Cartwright was a starter for 20 games or so at Fresno State two years ago and is a year older, but Cully Payne has experience in the Big Ten. Do they both start? That would make Iowa quite small at the guard position. Either way, this is a really good pick up, and it is good to see progress.

Cully will start and Cartwright will add depth. He is true PG and can distribute the ball and spell Cully. Our SG will be Gatens, SF will be May. Cole, Cougill and Basabe will rotate at the two F positions. We will still be considered a short team but at least we will be a running team and boat load more athletic.

Cully will probably get a shot at seeing the floor with Cartwright but I don't see this being much more than situational due to fouls or fatigue.

I can't wait for the season to start.

I would anticipate seeing this lineup from time to time, assuming Fran wants to run and Press:

pg Cartwright
sg Payne
sf Gatens
PF May
C Cole

Gatens, May, and Cole know how to play bigger than they are, especially on defense. This lineup could give teams trouble. Then you can still bring in bigs when the need arises.

If Cartwright and Payne are on the floor together for more than 5 minutes a game in the Big 10, Iowa is in Bigger Trouble than previously projected.

Well, except if Iowa is playing a team with two small quick guards that are giving us fits.

Sometimes match-ups dictate certain things. And let's face it, Matt is not the most fleet of foot defender.

I could see Cully and Cart on the court for defensive reasons more than for offensive reasons.

BTW: Good job staff. This is a smart and appropriate pick-up. I believe he will be an attractive teammate for some of the guys that Iowa is targeting for 2011. Now, I just wish they could luck into finding a true power big man somehow for next season.

P.S. Players from Compton, Michigan, and New York: Doesn't seem like we are in Kansas anymore, Toto.

Last edited:
If Cartwright and Payne are on the floor together for more than 5 minutes a game in the Big 10, Iowa is in Bigger Trouble than previously projected.

Well, I will strongly disagree. I sure would have liked to have had two pgs on the floor when we played Mn last year. They tore us up with the press. Had we been able to get it over half court it would have been layup city.

I wouldn't mind it at times. I think moving Cully off the ball could free him up to score. He is one of the few guys who showed the ability to beat his man last year. Cully running on screens and looking to score could be a good option for us.

I would anticipate seeing this lineup from time to time, assuming Fran wants to run and Press:

pg Cartwright
sg Payne
sf Gatens
PF May
C Cole

Gatens, May, and Cole know how to play bigger than they are, especially on defense. This lineup could give teams trouble. Then you can still bring in bigs when the need arises.

We might see this lineup on occasion but not on a regular basis. Here is what it looks like....

5-10
6-1
6-4
6-5
6-7

Not only is it short you have everybody but Cartwright playing out of position.

There are plenty of PG minuites available for Cully and Cartwright to share. Basbee is going to get lots of PT at the 4.

I am glad we have another guy who might be able to guard Kalin Lucas,Al Nolen,Mike Thompson,Jordan Taylor,Lew Jackson,and Talor Battle...all shorter,quick guys that we had no good matchup for...now, lets hope Bryce can defend,drive and dish as advertised.

Well, I will strongly disagree. I sure would have liked to have had two pgs on the floor when we played Mn last year. They tore us up with the press. Had we been able to get it over half court it would have been layup city.

Very happy for the addition of Cartwright. I also agree with Hooper.

We might see this lineup on occasion but not on a regular basis. Here is what it looks like....

5-10
6-1
6-4
6-5
6-7

Not only is it short you have everybody but Cartwright playing out of position.

There are plenty of PG minuites available for Cully and Cartwright to share. Basbee is going to get lots of PT at the 4.

Where does Archie fit in this? Cougs? Brommer?

Latest posts