Nervous Coach Norm out.

Kirk stated yesterday that Norm will have no part of the game planning this week and will not be contacted before or during the AZ game. In 2004 Norm was part of the defensive game plan and was on a conference call at half time.

Kirk stated yesterday that Norm will have no part of the game planning this week and will not be contacted before or during the AZ game. In 2004 Norm was part of the defensive game plan and was on a conference call at half time.

:eek:

BTW...anyone here really think Norm doesn't retire this year? He's gone after this season. Saturday will be a glimpse into the future.

So who will be calling the plays for the Defense in Norm's absence?

That is not information that KF would normally divulge. Heck, he wouldn't even tell us who was playing right guard in the first game after the first stringer was injured and the second stringer on the depth chart quit the team.

Couple this with the fact that the journalists in Iowa have no spine, and you will just have to guess on who is running the D.

That is not information that KF would normally divulge. Heck, he wouldn't even tell us who was playing right guard in the first game after the first stringer was injured and the second stringer on the depth chart quit the team.

Couple this with the fact that the journalists in Iowa have no spine, and you will just have to guess on who is running the D.

Someone would like to have a word with you...

xmasmug08.jpg

Jon has said he does not consider himself a journalist. He is a broadcast personality. He doesn't break stories, but rather provides commentary and forwards what others report.

He does a good job doing what he does, but it is not journalism.

Jon has said he does not consider himself a journalist. He is a broadcast personality. He doesn't break stories, but rather provides commentary and forwards what others report.

He does a good job doing what he does, but it is not journalism.

Not labeling himself a journalist, beyond the fact that its the truth, allows him to be blatantly biased (and I mean that in a good way), which he is, as are the rest of us. He doesn't have to be fake and feign "objectivity" that way. Which is good, because no fan of a competing team would believe it anyway. I mean can you imagine the ClownNation uproar if Jon went to work for the Register as a sports reporter? You think they have a perpetual victim mentality now...whoa, Katie bar the Door.

CAAR - I can see your points however Jon, whether he admits it or not, is by definition a Journalist.

Webster - a writer who aims at a mass audience

Wikipedia - A journalist collects and disseminates information about current events, people, trends, and issues... Reporters are one type of journalist. They create reports as a profession for broadcast or publication in mass media such as newspapers, television, radio, magazines, documentary film and the internet.

I should have put ;) or :rolleyes: after my original comment, it was only stated in jest. Once again I have a "sarcasm fail" :eek:

As I stated previously, It didn't appear as if their contingencies in 2004 worked, or that they had planned appropriately.

Those of you that are saying non-factor, you have short memories, or you are just a little challenged historically.

That being said, KF is a master of not getting burned by the same thing twice and stated in his presser and the on-the-side that they had prepared extensively over the last few years to deal with Norm's absence over a week, a month, or a year.

Basically, things are different now. I would expect that some of game day responsibilities have been delegated before now, and the game planning responsibility may have been delegated.

Would be nice to have more detail on these changes. For instance, we know KF doesn't let his players go home for Christmas during bowl prep anymore.

Also, for those of you that think Norm can watch on TV and call in. Put down the beers and think. You get at most 20% of the field in any television telecast. Also, you have to let your coaches on sight do the coaching. If KF hasn't forced some delegation of these responsibilities by now, it is on him. So, you know he has.

Good points, but on that last bit...during the 2004 game, Parker did watch the game on TV and phone in his suggestions.

Parker coached the first two games of that season from his hospital room, watching the games on television and calling Iowa’s locker room at halftime. He didn’t make Iowa’s trip to Arizona that year, either. The Hawkeyes lost 44-7 at Arizona State.
Iowa football: Parker to miss Arizona game | Hawk Central

Obviously didn't work against ASU, but I think the coaches are better prepared this time around.

For all of those of you who don't remember, Norm missed the trip to Arizona State in 2004 and the Michigan game the following week. Iowa's defense got creamed in both games. Norm's absence was identified as a contributing factor in both games.

He came back and Iowa's 2004 D became somewhat legendary.

Now, this is much further down the line. We have to think that guys like Phil Parker, etc., have been being groomed to take over. KF almost said as much when he talked about the team's planning for the event of Norm not being available. Clearly KF doesn't want a repeat of the 2004 situation. We will see if the adjustments he has made are as effective as the other adjustments that have been made, such as Bowl preparation, etc.

Can we all please stop referencing the 2004 trip to arizona state!!! These are two completely different teams and other than the coaching staff none of the players were there for that game so let it be.

i read somewhere that coach wilson called the D for the ISU game. it can't really be by committee, you don't have that kind of time between plays, though i'm sure they all have input.

What makes me most nervous is the cold bug working its way around Iowa City right now. Pretty nasty one that lingers. Be interesting to see if it has any impact on the players ability to perform.

Would this qualify as a valid concern: Without Norm, or if another coach was unavailable for that matter, wouldn't we be minus one coach. So in Norm's case a positional coach is now the quasi-coordinator, does that hinder us in any way since now that positional coach has less to time to coach his specific players. Throw in the extra travel prep and travel time to Arizona...? Thoughts?
On a positive note we have experienced players and having faced Arizona last year should help with preparation.

Over insight into this game is all this is. This Game has everyone's panties in a bunch, i personally would be more worried about Michigan right now than Arizona. Their QB will not be difficult to take down, i see this game being boxy (defensive), and one other thing to consider is the linesmakers seem to think the same thing. what they are saying is that on a neutral field this game would be a touchdown spread. The line for my bookie has moved to (-3).

I am a History buff and tend to think that in a competition the aggressor is usually the victor when on opposing turf, whether it is on a battle field or the gridiron. When you are in your own surroundings on your own turf, the battle tends to come to you and it is human nature to be conservative, although for some you will have a "fight or flight" reaction in this case.

I am going to say that Stoops will be more conservative than normal and boxy in this game. (This is why i love the watching the Hawkeye's because of this effect we have on teams focusing more on T.O.P. than the score - they tend to play "our style" of game. This mindf*ck of opposing coaches gameplans is the most interesting thing to see unfold during the course of an Iowa game.

I think people are overlooking a HUGE factor in regards to ASU in 2004. Yes Norm was not there, but Norm doesn't get first downs and neither did the Iowa Offense. It was Drew Tates first road start IIRC and Iowa had 100 yards of TOTAL offense. This is not the same team as 2004, and even if it was we all know that Ferentz is better at learning from past mistakes than anyone in the country.

BlackHawk - Just wondering if you're trying to pad your stats. Seven posts and they all say the same thing... Word

Welcome to the boards, but come on, you can do better than that!

I would switch it up to "You go girl!"

Latest posts