Need to get more athletic

drew003

People complain that we are not "tough," when, really, I think it is a lack of athleticism that we are seeing. We have to bring in a few more explosive athletes, especially at the wings. Other than Marble, we lack a true wing capable of playing BIG. MSU just bullied us with their superior athleticism. Defensively, it would help with our rotations. We close out on shooters, but rarely were we making MSU's shooters uncomfortable with our closeouts. We need to be able to get into a shooter's body more, preventing him from catching and shooting in rhythm with set feet.

We also desperately need more ball-handlers. Appling was allowed to put his hands on Gessell last night and completely took him out of the game. Marble was the only Iowa player that could dribble against MSU's defense in the second half. In fact, Marble was the only Iowa player that didn't look outclassed when the defensive intensity increased.

Do we need a talented point guard recruit to step in next season?
Yes, we need a talented point guard recruit to step in next season.

Do we need a talented center recruit to step in next season?
Yes, we need a talented center recruit to step in next season.

Do we need a talented power forward recruit to step in next season?
Yes, we need a talented power forward recruit to step in next season.

Do we need a talented small forward recruit to step in next season?
Yes, we need a talented small forward recruit to step in next season.

Do we need a talented shooting guard recruit to step in next season?
Yes, we need a talented shooting guard recruit to step in next season.

Otherwise Iowa is, at best, a top 20-30 team. Don't listen to inept sports analysts who say Iowa is a top 10 team.
Your hopes have gone up, and then they've been dashed.

Are fans happy with an Iowa team that's realistically a top 20-30 team, now?

The Hawks will get better..

Last edited:
Marble is gone next year.... how can this team "get better next season"?

Have you seen what the team looks like with Marble on the bench? There's your answer.

Do we need a talented point guard recruit to step in next season?
Yes, we need a talented point guard recruit to step in next season.

Do we need a talented center recruit to step in next season?
Yes, we need a talented center recruit to step in next season.

Do we need a talented power forward recruit to step in next season?
Yes, we need a talented power forward recruit to step in next season.

Do we need a talented small forward recruit to step in next season?
Yes, we need a talented small forward recruit to step in next season.

Do we need a talented shooting guard recruit to step in next season?
Yes, we need a talented shooting guard recruit to step in next season.

Otherwise Iowa is, at best, a top 20-30 team. Don't listen to inept sports analysts who say Iowa is a top 10 team.
Your hopes have gone up, and then they've been dashed.

Are fans happy with an Iowa team that's realistically a top 20-30 team, now?

The Hawks will get better..

I agree with everything, but I'm not sure about the last statement. Marble is carrying the team right now, and with him gone next year, I am not sure the program doesn't take a step back. Other guys are going to have to improve and step in next year to even maintain where things are right now. You don't just lose a 1600-1700+ point scorer without feeling it, unless you just reload like Kansas, Duke, etc. Suffice to say, Iowa is not Kansas.

I agree with needing to get more athletic. My dad told me recently that Iowa "has too many players from Sioux City". I tend to agree.

I agree with everything, but I'm not sure about the last statement. Marble is carrying the team right now, and with him gone next year, I am not sure the program doesn't take a step back. Other guys are going to have to improve and step in next year to even maintain where things are right now. You don't just lose a 1600-1700+ point scorer without feeling it, unless you just reload like Kansas, Duke, etc. Suffice to say, Iowa is not Kansas.

I agree with needing to get more athletic. My dad told me recently that Iowa "has too many players from Sioux City". I tend to agree.

It's not a matter of reloading, it's a matter of utilizing your other talent. Some would say that the load Marble carries takes the ball out of the hands of some really good players. We return some pretty insane shooting percentages with White, Uthoff, Woodbury and Olaseni. We also may be getting an impact PG. Now compare what they shoot from FG-FT-3pt to Marble's numbers. Other things to consider:

-Many of Marble's best games scoring-wise have come in losses
-Marble didn't play against UNI or the home game against MSU last year. We beat UNI and came VERY close to beating MSU
-Marble doesn't draw very many double-teams, so defensive pressure on supporting cast won't change

We will have a very experienced, efficient team next year with a TON of shooters. We'll have more of an identity as an offense, if that makes any sense. Marble has been a legendary player for us, but bulk shooters are replaceable.

I'm not sure it's athleticsm.

I still think we lack shooters and playing White at the 3 is really hurting.

I apologize if this is a broken record becuaes I've touched on it before but look around the league at other good teams and the shooters they have at their disposal.

Wisconsin has 4-5 guys that can knock down shots including their 7 foot big man.
Sparty has 4-5 guys that can knock down shots including their big man Payne.
Michigan has 4 guys that can knock down outisde shots.

Iowa has 3, maybe 4 (if you include Uthoff) on their entire roster.

Fran knows he needs to continually upgrade our athleticism. He wants to play fast, and defend. You need athletes to do both. Our guys get beat off the dribble too easily, and that starts he rotation deal, which ends up with an open shooter after a few passes. We cannot stay in front of our guy.

A couple more quick guys would have a huge impact on this years team. Whitey is simply not quick enough to play the 3. If we had a quick guy there, with Mike and dev, we would be ok on defense.
Fran just needs to add more athletes every year. That is why filling these last two schollys with two more athletes is a must.

It's not a matter of reloading, it's a matter of utilizing your other talent. Some would say that the load Marble carries takes the ball out of the hands of some really good players. We return some pretty insane shooting percentages with White, Uthoff, Woodbury and Olaseni. We also may be getting an impact PG. Now compare what they shoot from FG-FT-3pt to Marble's numbers. Other things to consider:

-Many of Marble's best games scoring-wise have come in losses
-Marble didn't play against UNI or the home game against MSU last year. We beat UNI and came VERY close to beating MSU
-Marble doesn't draw very many double-teams, so defensive pressure on supporting cast won't change

We will have a very experienced, efficient team next year with a TON of shooters. We'll have more of an identity as an offense, if that makes any sense. Marble has been a legendary player for us, but bulk shooters are replaceable.

I think the issue that people see with Marble's departure is the fact that what some consider as him taking the ball out of other players hands, many of us see as other players disappearing and him doing so out of necessity.

I don't know where I stand on this issue at the time. IMO I'd be alot more positive about marble's departure if I saw our #2,#3, or #4 options routinely stepping up to releave the burden. Not calling out players, but I don't know when the last time I can honestly say I thought White played a great 30 minutes to compliment Marble and he's who many see being that #1 guy next year. I think we've seen that Marble looks very comfortable facilitating the play when the guys are clicking and making shots. He appears comfortable to be distributing the ball and not the primary scoring option. The problem I see is that those opportunities are few and far between.

I definitely think we've got a talented group next year, but at the same time I don't think we have a consistent leader or go to guy that will take over a game when his teammates are struggling. I think we have that in Marble this year and despite some of his best games being loses, I think they'd of been blowouts had he not stepped up.

I don't think we'll know how good Devyn is or what he meant to this team until he's gone.

I think the issue that people see with Marble's departure is the fact that what some consider as him taking the ball out of other players hands, many of us see as other players disappearing and him doing so out of necessity.

I don't know where I stand on this issue at the time. IMO I'd be alot more positive about marble's departure if I saw our #2,#3, or #4 options routinely stepping up to releave the burden. Not calling out players, but I don't know when the last time I can honestly say I thought White played a great 30 minutes to compliment Marble and he's who many see being that #1 guy next year. I think we've seen that Marble looks very comfortable facilitating the play when the guys are clicking and making shots. He appears comfortable to be distributing the ball and not the primary scoring option. The problem I see is that those opportunities are few and far between.

I definitely think we've got a talented group next year, but at the same time I don't think we have a consistent leader or go to guy that will take over a game when his teammates are struggling. I think we have that in Marble this year and despite some of his best games being loses, I think they'd of been blowouts had he not stepped up.

I don't think we'll know how good Devyn is or what he meant to this team until he's gone.

Well, all I know is that I personally don't believe that taking the best scorer off the team is going to make us better. In other words, Marble scoring 24 isn't the reason why we lost last night.. That's a bad thing? Guess I'm missing something there.

People were saying the same types of things about Luke Recker in 2002.. Ball hog, selfish, etc. But the real question was, who else was going to step up and score if not the best player on the team?

I get team basketball, and that's important, but do you want a go to guy, a guy who can take the team on his shoulders, or not?

People talk about how the team doesn't have a leader, or a go to guy. Then someone steps up and does these things, and people imply that it's hurting the team. I don't get it.

White, Uthoff and Olaseni all are star, primary player material. Marble averaged 8 points a game for the first half of B1G play last year, so it's not like he's been some star that we've been relying on forever. This year he took a big step to become a consistent threat. Jok will get that opportunity next year, but we saw flashes of brilliance from White, Uthoff and Olaseni. Enough to make me confident we can put Marble's possessions into good hands.

Yes, Iowa needs to become more athletic and also more tough. Dickerson and Atwood would provide both. While Fran has an eye for talent he doesn't close the deal. Until he does this team lacks the playmakers it needs.

White, Uthoff and Olaseni all are star, primary player material. Marble averaged 8 points a game for the first half of B1G play last year, so it's not like he's been some star that we've been relying on forever. This year he took a big step to become a consistent threat. Jok will get that opportunity next year, but we saw flashes of brilliance from White, Uthoff and Olaseni. Enough to make me confident we can put Marble's possessions into good hands.

I'm glad your confident because next year scares me to death. At least our schedule is much easier.

I'm looking for increased scoring from Gesell and Jok. Mike is going to hvae to be more aggressive looking to score becuase he's about the only one who can beat his guy off the bounce.

The good news is we can drop a lot in how good we are and still potentially have a good season. We can do that with an easier schedule, doing better in close games, and getting luckier with catching teams during an off night.

Well, all I know is that I personally don't believe that taking the best scorer off the team is going to make us better. In other words, Marble scoring 24 isn't the reason why we lost last night.. That's a bad thing? Guess I'm missing something there.

People were saying the same types of things about Luke Recker in 2002.. Ball hog, selfish, etc. But the real question was, who else was going to step up and score if not the best player on the team?

I get team basketball, and that's important, but do you want a go to guy, a guy who can take the team on his shoulders, or not?

People talk about how the team doesn't have a leader, or a go to guy. Then someone steps up and does these things, and people imply that it's hurting the team. I don't get it.

I remember a play in the second half of last night's game where Iowa had a 3 against 3 'break' to Iowa's goal. The ball was in Marble's hands... There were 2 Hawks on the weak side of the play. Marble decided to go 1 against 3 against the MSU defenders to the goal. His shot was swatted away. Maybe Marble thought those other 2 Hawks were unable to finish with a layup after a to the weak side assist from Marble?? Maybe it's the same 'I've got to do it myself' syndrome Marble exhibits every game (especially during crunch time).

Fran doesn't bring in a couple of athletic guys who can shoot through either the juco or transfer route, then this is going to be a 5 or 6 win team in the B1G next season.

I'm glad your confident because next year scares me to death. At least our schedule is much easier.

I'm looking for increased scoring from Gesell and Jok. Mike is going to hvae to be more aggressive looking to score becuase he's about the only one who can beat his guy off the bounce.
Gesell is atrocious, defensively.

I really have no problem with RDM this or last season. I do believe he will be missed next season but I am hopeful it will be addition by substraction. I don't know how good our shooters really are or are going to be. I have seen RDM defer to teammates many, many times (while getting criticism from the fans for being inconsistant. What I also see is White rarely attempting a mid-range J, Uthoff and MG not taking open shots. Shooters gotta shoot the ball.

Latest posts