Need to get more athletic

More athletic? How about we get better at basketball. We've got athleticism and athleticism can't shoot.
This.
Athleticism doesn't necessarily = bb player. Sure, it helps. Shooters help, too.

Does Nebraska have better athletes than Iowa? Wanting to helps, too.

I guess one could weep about Gesell being mugged by the MSU opponent (to name one of a few of Gesell's mugging opponents), or Iowa could recruit an athletic point guard that is at least 2-3 inches taller to shoot over defenses or harass opponent's shots, is faster to dribble past defenders or keep up with defenders, and who jumps well.

I'm pretty sure if Iowa were more athletic (jumping, running, height, shooting and dribbling ability), their defense would be better, too.

Last edited:
Ohh-kay.

Does Penn State and Northwestern have better athletes than Iowa?

People complain that we are not "tough," when, really, I think it is a lack of athleticism that we are seeing. We have to bring in a few more explosive athletes, especially at the wings. Other than Marble, we lack a true wing capable of playing BIG. MSU just bullied us with their superior athleticism. Defensively, it would help with our rotations. We close out on shooters, but rarely were we making MSU's shooters uncomfortable with our closeouts. We need to be able to get into a shooter's body more, preventing him from catching and shooting in rhythm with set feet.

We also desperately need more ball-handlers. Appling was allowed to put his hands on Gessell last night and completely took him out of the game. Marble was the only Iowa player that could dribble against MSU's defense in the second half. In fact, Marble was the only Iowa player that didn't look outclassed when the defensive intensity increased.

You hit the nail on the head. I love our coaches and players, but we have been playing over our head so long. It is catching up to us. Our future relies on recruiting.

We shoot poorly from the 3..We have gotten good wide open looks and clank them. The only one on the team that is consistent is Marble. Sometimes Josh. Will this change with the players coming back? I sure hope so. Jok,Josh and Uthoff need to pick up the scoring next year.

I would love them to have a bunch of 6-4 to 6-7 really good athletes like the old louisville teams with a couple of good big guys.

need some rangy wing guys on both offense and defense

I think Uhl will upgrade athleticism next year. And he appears to be true wing. Hopefully his basketball skills are also there. As other have mentioned, athleticism is not cure all, but it allows a player to consistently contribute in certain ways every games--defensive intensity, rebounding, loose balls.

Clemmons is fairly athletic, but just so poor with the ball his hands we can't put him on the floor. I wonder why we don't play Clemmons off-ball more to alleviate this. Allow him to play hard, defend, get lose balls, take open set jump shots, but not make him run the offense. Kind of a miniature Eric May.

I guess one could weep about Gesell being mugged by the MSU opponent (to name one of a few of Gesell's opponents), or Iowa could recruit an athletic point guard that is at least 2-3 inches taller to shoot over defenses or harass opponent's shots, is faster to dribble past defenders or keep up with defenders, and who jumps well.

I'm pretty sure if Iowa were more athletic (jumping, running, height, shooting and dribbling ability), their defense would be better, too.

Ha you just gave yourself away. This is the 3rd time I've seen you mention Gesell's jumping ability. I just figured its an easy mistake to make because he's white but you have been corrected on your mistake the previous two times. The last time you brought it up, I just assumed you missed the multiple posts correcting you the time before. Now its obvious that you don't even believe what you're saying and you're just messing with people. Well played.

There are a lot of ways to win at basketball. You can have athletes, good shooters, long players, smart players, or physical players. Since we aren't a blue blood program, if we recruited a better athlete, he would probably just lack a little more in other areas. Picture Gabe. If we want to get better we just need to get players that are slightly better at all the things I mentioned above.

A lot of people are probably afraid that Fran has hit his plateau because next year doesn't look better. You have to remember that he has only recruited players that were willing to come to one of the worst programs in the nation. Those players turned out to be pretty good. Imagine how he is going to do recruiting players to an NCAA tournament team that is one of the fastest teams in the nation?

Ohh-kay.

Does Penn State and Northwestern have better athletes than Iowa?

Nebraska is more athletic than Iowa with Petteway( possibly the best athlete in the league along side Sam Thompson), Shields, Rivers, Pitchford, Parker and Webster.

PSU is a hair better with Frazier, Newbill, Travis, and Taylor.

NW is not more athletic, altho Crawford, Cobb and Lumpkin are better athletes than most of the Hawks.

Iowa is in the bottom third of the league in that category.

Nebraska is more athletic than Iowa with Petteway( possibly the best athlete in the league along side Sam Thompson), Shields, Rivers, Pitchford, Parker and Webster. Shocking then that many picked them 12th

PSU is a hair better with Frazier, Newbill, Travis, and Taylor. It's a good thing that Iowa has

NW is not more athletic, altho Crawford, Cobb and Lumpkin are better athletes than most of the Hawks. average to below-average depth than these teams since their starters are more athletic than Iowa's starters. Otherwise, going 4-0 with four 10+ point wins in these games were in grave danger.

Iowa is in the bottom third of the league in that category. Sounds more like bottom 11/12.

I'm not trashing your answer (even though it's easy to read it that way). I'm trashing the idea that athleticism in basketball = guaranteed success and improvement. It doesn't.

Your analysis of athletic talent would support my viewpoint. Like PCHawk said on a previous page, there are several different ways/player types to win in college basketball.

I don't know that Iowa is not athletic enough, I think they are quite athletic. The most athletic in the B1G? Nope. There is, however, a certain lack of fluidity to our team. They are more of a "staight line" quick/fast team; rather than, a laterally quick/fast team. In basketball, lateral quickness/speed trumps straight line speed more times than not.

If athleticism equaled basketball ability then Kyle korver never should have played college ball let alone nba level.

Ha you just gave yourself away. This is the 3rd time I've seen you mention Gesell's jumping ability. I just figured its an easy mistake to make because he's white but you have been corrected on your mistake the previous two times. The last time you brought it up, I just assumed you missed the multiple posts correcting you the time before. Now its obvious that you don't even believe what you're saying and you're just messing with people. Well played.
Huh? WTF? For one example, a recent one at that, Gesell couldn't stop Trice (of MSU) 'cause Trice shot right over him. Iowa had to put Marble on Trice to stop him. What a name for a 3-baller, huh? Trice... Gesell is 5'11", if he's lucky, and he can't jump. A defensive liability. Not like that 5'8" player from NC State who could dunk - Spud Webb. Didn't know I was entering some politically incorrect territory, I guess, when I said Gesell (a white boy) couldn't jump.... he can't. Wish he could.

Last edited:
Huh? WTF? For one example, a recent one at that, Gesell couldn't stop Trice (of MSU) 'cause Trice shot right over him. Iowa had to put Marble on Trice to stop him. What a name for a 3-baller, huh? Trice. Gesell is 5'11", if he's lucky, and he can't jump. A defensive liability. Not like that 5'8" player from NC State who could dunk. Didn't know I was entering some politically incorrect territory, I guess, when I said Gesell (a white boy) couldn't jump.... he can't. Wish he could.

Would love to know what you are measuring jumping ability by. What are your parameters? As many times as you have been proven wrong on this topic, something's not sinking in.

Mike is one of the better jumpers on this team as evidenced by the dunk contest during the season tipoff event last fall.

Huh? WTF? For one example, a recent one at that, Gesell couldn't stop Trice (of MSU) 'cause Trice shot right over him. Iowa had to put Marble on Trice to stop him. What a name for a 3-baller, huh? Trice... Gesell is 5'11", if he's lucky, and he can't jump. A defensive liability. Not like that 5'8" player from NC State who could dunk - Spud Webb. Diwas entering some politically incorrect territory, I guess, when I said Gesell (a white boy) couldn't jump.... he can't. Wish he could.

So 5'11" guys who can't jump can do 2 handed dunks behind their backs? Guys get shots off over people all the time. Rarely does it have to do with the persons jumping ability. In fact one of Trice's 3 pointers was shot over Gabe. He is tall with a huge wing span and can jump out of the gym.

It's hard to get a basketball scholarship in the B1G without being athletic...Iowa or any other team. That's all.

Latest posts