Need Suggestions...

Fryowa

Administrator
Going down Saturday morning for the Wisconsin wrestling dual and staying for the Minnesota b-ball game Sunday.

Is there anything fun or interesting for a 15 year old kid and parent to do after 5PM Saturday or on Sunday morning up till like 2PM? Never been to the Museum of Natural History in IC but it's not open during our free time. I'd rather keep it to IC/Coralville since we're staying in town. Cedar Rapids isn't totally out of the question Saturday evening I guess...

https://hatchet-jacks.com/ This is on Hwy 1. Axe throwing. Actually, it is right down from Fin and Feather in the strip mall. I know you like the outdoors and it's a real nice Outdoor Sports store. You could do both.

There is always the UofI Sports Museum off of Mormon Trek. You prob been there though.

There is an interesting fairly new interactive Bar and Grill in Coralville named Tavern Blue. I haven't been there yet but people come down from CR. It has family activities to do in the bar and plenty of space. I read some mixed reviews about the food. Some were confused as they thought they would serve seafood. It is not seafood but general American bar and grill food. Anyway, they do have activities and some unique decor. I think a family could spend some time in there. The food can't be that awful I would think for activities. Swim at your own risk I guess. Depends on what is important to you. https://tavernblue.com/

Good luck, safe travels and have fun!

https://hatchet-jacks.com/ This is on Hwy 1. Axe throwing. Actually, it is right down from Fin and Feather in the strip mall. I know you like the outdoors and it's a real nice Outdoor Sports store. You could do both.

There is always the UofI Sports Museum off of Mormon Trek. You prob been there though.

There is an interesting fairly new interactive Bar and Grill in Coralville named Tavern Blue. I haven't been there yet but people come down from CR. It has family activities to do in the bar and plenty of space. I read some mixed reviews about the food. Some were confused as they thought they would serve seafood. It is not seafood but general American bar and grill food. Anyway, they do have activities and some unique decor. I think a family could spend some time in there. The food can't be that awful I would think for activities. Swim at your own risk I guess. Depends on what is important to you. https://tavernblue.com/

Thanks man. I’ve actually never been to the HOF museum but it looks like it’s closed Sundays now. Saturday closes at 5:00 and we wouldn’t have time after the wrestling dual. I’ll check the other stuff out for sure.

Family-style meal at the Ox Yoke Inn in Amana? Then bum around the little shops down there? Not sure if that would interest a 15-year-old or not. :) Stop by Millstream and get a fresh root beer and an adult malty beverage for dad?

Ice Skating at City Park. Should be pretty cold still so the pond should be frozen. Or ice skating at Coral Ridge mall at the hockey rink there.

Cedar Ridge Distillery Tour? More dad-focused than kid-focused, but the kid may find it interesting.

Apps/Snack at The Vue. Great view of Iowa City. The kiddo would probably spend the entire time looking out the windows at the south & west views of town. Even I love doing this as a 46-year-old. :)

You have to drive him over the dam really slow so he can get a good view of coralville lake. Could take him down to the water outlet and let him see that.

It's tough to find things to do when it's frozen outside. Spring/Summer is much easier. :)

Going down Saturday morning for the Wisconsin wrestling dual and staying for the Minnesota b-ball game Sunday.

Is there anything fun or interesting for a 15 year old kid and parent to do after 5PM Saturday or on Sunday morning up till like 2PM? Never been to the Museum of Natural History in IC but it's not open during our free time. I'd rather keep it to IC/Coralville since we're staying in town. Cedar Rapids isn't totally out of the question Saturday evening I guess...
I'll be having a party in my garage if he doesn't mind hot-boxing and a bunch of drunks.

Family-style meal at the Ox Yoke Inn in Amana? Then bum around the little shops down there? Not sure if that would interest a 15-year-old or not. :) Stop by Millstream and get a fresh root beer and an adult malty beverage for dad?

Ice Skating at City Park. Should be pretty cold still so the pond should be frozen. Or ice skating at Coral Ridge mall at the hockey rink there.

Cedar Ridge Distillery Tour? More dad-focused than kid-focused, but the kid may find it interesting.

Apps/Snack at The Vue. Great view of Iowa City.
The kiddo would probably spend the entire time looking out the windows at the south & west views of town. Even I love doing this as a 46-year-old. :)

You have to drive him over the dam really slow so he can get a good view of coralville lake. Could take him down to the water outlet and let him see that.

It's tough to find things to do when it's frozen outside. Spring/Summer is much easier. :)

I think they also serve pizza and food, don't they?

The Vue - I had co-workers I manage in town once and we were up in the Vue when a nasty storm front and tornado warning went thru several years ago (was prob open 1-2 yrs). It was freaky, then seeing the clouds rotating around. It's a good place to hang though. Nice atmosphere. It's in the top of the Hilton Garden Inn at the corner of Burlington and Clinton Streets downtown.

You can take him ice fishing on Lake MacBride for some bluegills and crappies. Lol. We know you like your bluegills!

Any good movies at the Coralville Mall? Good food court. Big Scheels. Pizza at Pagliai’s. Coralville Dam good short road trip. Hawkeye sports museum?

Apps/Snack at The Vue. Great view of Iowa City. The kiddo would probably spend the entire time looking out the windows at the south & west views of town. Even I love doing this as a 46-year-old. :)

Lots of good stuff here, thanks. Heard the Vue rooftop is cool. We'll definitely consider the Ox Yoke.

I'll be having a party in my garage if he doesn't mind hot-boxing and a bunch of drunks.
I'm pretty sure I'm the only office worker here who's subject to randoms at work. My name gets pulled probably 3 times a year.

Any good movies at the Coralville Mall? Good food court. Big Scheels. Pizza at Pagliai’s. Coralville Dam good short road trip. Hawkeye sports museum?
The new Jackass movie comes out this weekend, that's our style of humor. Might hit that at some point.

The sports museum is closed on Sundays now and closes Saturday right around when the wrestling dual will get over.

Also thought about axe throwing. We'd have to go right at 1:00 Sunday and keep it tight because the Hawks tip at 3:30. Still need to get back to the Kinnick parking lot and make our way in afterwards. Kid isn't old enough to go Saturday because weekend evenings are 18+.

If anyone knows someone down there who can sneak a 15 yo in around 7pm Saturday lemme know. Lol.

Also thought about axe throwing. We'd have to go right at 1:00 Sunday and keep it tight because the Hawks tip at 3:30. Still need to get back to the Kinnick parking lot and make our way in afterwards. Kid isn't old enough to go Saturday because weekend evenings are 18+.

If anyone knows someone down there who can sneak a 15 yo in around 7pm Saturday lemme know. Lol.

You know, I'd almost bet they might let him in if with parents. They might have that rule to avoid a clan of 16-17 yr olds coming in raising cane. They may not be busy and would welcome the business. I think if you called and explained your in town and just looking for something to do they let you. You'd be surprised. It's just one kid and your son looking for a family activity.

Ok. What's the verdict? What'd ya end up doing?
I'm just going to assume he took my suggestions and did them all.
We were pretty boring people actually. Went to a movie Saturday night, got pizza at Wig and Pen, went back to the motel and my kid swam for a couple hours and went to bed.

Took our time getting going the next morning and rewatched the wrestling dual on TV (I do this with every live sporting event I go to), and my kid wanted to go to BWW so we went to the mall downtown and ate there. He got wings and I just had a soda because I love CHA chicken tenders. Walked around the mall itself because I had never been in there (that toy store is actually pretty cool with some of the stuff they have in there), went and washed my car which was filthy from the trip, and then moseyed over to Carver.

I'm one of those guys who likes to be at events when the doors open, so we always get to Carver super early. I don't like standing in line and that way I can get food with no wait, hit the bathroom if I need to, and then just chill out. Also, getting there early is great for kids. Mine gets a lot of cool pics with wrestlers when they walk around before duals and he got Keegan, Bohannon, and Perkins' autographs yesterday afternoon.

We were pretty boring people actually. Went to a movie Saturday night, got pizza at Wig and Pen, went back to the motel and my kid swam for a couple hours and went to bed.

Took our time getting going the next morning and rewatched the wrestling dual on TV (I do this with every live sporting event I go to), and my kid wanted to go to BWW so we went to the mall downtown and ate there. He got wings and I just had a soda because I love CHA chicken tenders. Walked around the mall itself because I had never been in there (that toy store is actually pretty cool with some of the stuff they have in there), went and washed my car which was filthy from the trip, and then moseyed over to Carver.

I'm one of those guys who likes to be at events when the doors open, so we always get to Carver super early. I don't like standing in line and that way I can get food with no wait, hit the bathroom if I need to, and then just chill out. Also, getting there early is great for kids. Mine gets a lot of cool pics with wrestlers when they walk around before duals and he got Keegan, Bohannon, and Perkins' autographs yesterday afternoon.
Sounds like what a good dad would do. Happy for you both!