Nebraska's new biggest rival?

I think it will wind up being Penn State, because I think the two teams will be in the same division, and I think they will end up playing the last regular season game of the year against one another. Now as for local nastiness, Iowa...which may wind up trumping the calendar.

This depends alot on who else ends up joining the conference. If notre dame or pitt join then they instantly become Penn States big rivalry game imo and therefore nebraskas biggest rival would be Iowa. If any other big 12 teams come they will instantly be considered a rival. I see alot of big red vs big red (wisconsin) rivalry potential too. both stadiums are awesome for gameday

Jon, you are trying to create an unnatural rivalry PSU vs Neb.,where it does not exist. They have hardly ever played, they are at the two furthest boundary of the league, just nothing there but a ''made for tv'' rivalry...a rivalry has to have an organic nature,otherwise it is just a phony money matchup.
PSU borders Michigan and OSU...that feels natural.
PSU vs Neb...not so much.

Jon, you are trying to create an unnatural rivalry PSU vs Neb.,where it does not exist. They have hardly ever played, they are at the two furthest boundary of the league, just nothing there but a ''made for tv'' rivalry...a rivalry has to have an organic nature,otherwise it is just a phony money matchup.
PSU borders Michigan and OSU...that feels natural.
PSU vs Neb...not so much.

Actually, there is a lot of bad blood already between Nebraska and Penn State!

In the early '80s, Nebraska went out to Happy Valley and lost a game that involved a questionable TD that is still brought up today by Husker fans.

Also, the lack of split national championships in 1994 is still brought up by Penn State fans.

I agree Iowa vs. Nebraska will be hot and great, but don't overlook the existing bad blood between the Huskers and the Lions.

I'm not sure Iowa/Nebraska will be rivalary once we start to own them like we do with Penn St, Wisconsin, and Minnesota. :D

Can't say who our biggest rival in the Big 10 is going to be just yet. The rivalry has to be created. There are possibilities, but we won't know for a few years IMO.

Nebraska and Penn State have a history and that will be a great rivalry. But Iowa-Nebraska will be the best, hands down. By 2020 Hawkeye fans and Husker fans are going to want to kill each other, probably even by 2015. Obviously Ohio State should not even be in the running, both teams have a good amount of national titles and they share one color but that's it. They're in the lead because their fans feel the need to win at EVERYTHING.

Odd that New York has voted for the Iowa v Nebby matchup. No need to expand out east....the Hawks carry the NYC market for the BTN!

Rivalries are built by tradition....not because someone says "I hate that team" (see colorado, never our rival but to them we were) I can see Penn St as one but, if we must assign one now...it would be Iowa...our fan bases live too close to eachother for it not to be...hell, most of us are related to big time Husker/Hawkeye fans and of course...Nebraska has played quite a few games vs. Iowa in the past 4 times as many as we have played vs PSU

According to the poll, almost all of the Big Ten states feel the Nebraska vs Iowa will be the big one.

I agree... it will most likely be Nebraska/Iowa. There already is a long history of the teams playing each other. 40 total meetings with the record current standing at 26-12-2 in favor of NU. That record was also compiled during some of Iowa's less-strong years... I expect (but fear) that the record will become a little more even as time goes on.

Husker fans are also intrigued by NU/Wisconsin becoming a thing. Or, like some have said, NU/Penn State. This is the great thing about joining the Big 10... we get this great opportunity to have regular meetings with such great, high-quality programs.

I dont know if anybody has noticed this but the poll on the ESPN website has changed now it says,

Who is the best team in the big12?

A. Iowa
B. Nebraska
C. Ohio State
D. Penn State
E. Someone Else

LOL@ESPN incompetence, just thought that was funny.

Latest posts