NEBRASKA

HawkKing81

...hasn't beat a team that finished the season ranked since 2001. (Iowa has 13 in that same time frame).

They lost to Iowa State last year, which was one of 4 losses. They lost a number of key defenders including the best defensive player in the country. They return a lot on a offense that wasn't very good.

So why are they being ranked so high this pre-season?

Granted they have one of the easiest schedules in the country, but isn't a reason why they should be ranked so high.

In my mind they are the most over-hyped and over-ranked team in the country.

...hasn't beat a team that finished the season ranked since 2001. (Iowa has 13 in that same time frame).

They lost to Iowa State last year, which was one of 4 losses. They lost a number of key defenders including the best defensive player in the country. They return a lot on a offense that wasn't very good.

Granted they have one of the easiest schedules in the country, but isn't a reason why they should be ranked so high.

You may be right. But we won't know anything until about week 6 or 7.

Um yeah. Maybe might wanna see our own team play first before we start throwing that meme out there.

You can count on Norte Dame, USC, Florida & Nebraska to be overrated when they have average teams. Just the way the system works. Doesn't really bother me because the season always sorts things out.

They will always have a good D as long as the Pellini's are in town.... kinda like Norm at Iowa.
They play 1 team ranked in the preseason top 25, that's why they are rated so high. Also- they played well in their bowl game. I could see them winning 10 games this year, but that won't mean they are good, they don't play anbody.

They will always have a good D as long as the Pellini's are in town.... kinda like Norm at Iowa.
They play 1 team ranked in the preseason top 25, that's why they are rated so high. Also- they played well in their bowl game. I could see them winning 10 games this year, but that won't mean they are good, they don't play anbody.

Rankings are not predictions. So it shouldn't matter what their schedule looks like.

Rankings are not predictions. So it shouldn't matter what their schedule looks like.

HUH???????

You mean they arent predicting who the best teams will be, or predicting how the final rankings will look???

I have been misguided all these years i guess

HUH???????

You mean they arent predicting who the best teams will be, or predicting how the final rankings will look???

I have been misguided all these years i guess

Yes, you have been.

Rankings are to suggest from at the present point in the season. Predictions are how a team will finish a season.

There is a huge difference.

Well, then maybe it's more about how they played the last couple games last year, they have a ton of starters back. Oh, and they have the name "Nebraska" which will move them higher, just like it helps Penn State.
And if you don't think that the pollsters realize (they are predicting) they have an easy schedule and good chance at a 10 wins, then you are crazy. I'm not saying it plays an overwhelming role in their rankings, but it does come in to play.

Well, then maybe it's more about how they played the last couple games last year, they have a ton of starters back. Oh, and they have the name "Nebraska" which will move them higher, just like it helps Penn State.
And if you don't think that the pollsters realize (they are predicting) they have an easy schedule and good chance at a 10 wins, then you are crazy. I'm not saying it plays an overwhelming role in their rankings, but it does come in to play.

I hear you. That's what I am saying, is they are over-hyped because they are Nebraska. Penn State is different in the fact that Penn State has been a top notch team over the last 5 seasons. Nebraska hasn't.

Nevada probably has a good chance at 10 wins this season too, but that's because they play an easy schedule. That doesn't mean they should be a top 10 team. Right?

Yea that name nebraska didnt do much for us a few years ago. 1st year head coach totally turning a program around does. Please dont tell me you guys are playing the overhyped we never get noticed in the media card.

They looked pretty good in their bowl game.

If their D is as advertised they will be formidable. Plus, their schedule is not daunting at all.

They play out in Seattle either week 2 or week 3 can't remeber which, we will know after that game with the Huskies what type of team Nebraska has.

As for the long term.......they will probably have the ups and downs similiar to what Penn St. has had in the Big Ten

BigRed- What would your opinion be if we went 10-4 and looked good during our Dec 29th bowl game, beat no ranked teams, lost to ISU and then started the next year in the top 10?
They had ZERO impressive wins last year. They lived off of a softer schedule, and will do so again this year.

BigRed- What would your opinion be if we went 10-4 and looked good during our Dec 29th bowl game, beat no ranked teams, lost to ISU and then started the next year in the top 10?
They had ZERO impressive wins last year. They lived off of a softer schedule, and will do so again this year.

I'm not a Nebraska apologist by any means but that win in the bowl game was very impressive.

To the points above regarding rankings; it does bother me that people who rank the teams factor in the schedule. Isn't the ranking supposed to reflect the team and its ability/skill? They shouldn't reward a team for having a weak schedule with a lofty "prediction" ranking. If rankings are really supposed to represent a teams ability then the schedule shouldn't be factored in.

Yea that name nebraska didnt do much for us a few years ago. 1st year head coach totally turning a program around does. Please dont tell me you guys are playing the overhyped we never get noticed in the media card.

I never said anything about "we never get noticed in the media". In fact, I am not even talking about Iowa.

I am just pointing out that your team hasn't done anything to deserve a top 10 ranking.

Pelini still doesn't have a win over a team that finished the season ranked. He does have an "almost win" over Texas. It reminds me of a guy named Charlie Weis that "almost" beat USC and then was rewarded with huge paycheck. That was another over hyped situation.

Last edited:
Um yeah. Maybe might wanna see our own team play first before we start throwing that meme out there.

Perhaps. But at least Iowa has a recent track record to show for it's preseason hype. We did beat 3 teams that finished the season ranked, we did win the Orange Bowl, we went 11-2. I can see why people like Iowa going into this year.

My point is that Nebraska doesn't have a significant win since 2001 and people want to rank them in the top 10, some in the top 5. That doesn't make sense to me.

It is all about the close Big XII title game and the blowout Holiday Bowl win vs Arizona. Coupled with the 76th ranked schedule, they beat Washington in Seattle and then they have Texas at home. Every other game they should be big favorites. I think they are a little high, I'd put them at 15. The QB play there has been subpar for a while now.

Latest posts