Nebraska or Arizona, who would you rather play in a bowl game?

Not sure if you're an actual Iowa fan, but I'll bite:

-Iowa was way behind for most of the game. That has an effect on a defense.
-It was 100 degrees at gametime. I personally feel the D was pretty tired at the end of the game. Clayborn was taking himself out from time to time, I believe.

I agree that Arizona drove the field, but I think if circumstances were even a little different, that doesn't happen 80% of the time.

If that game doesn't get to 27-7, I don't think we see the game end the way it did. Heck, I was there and was dying for more water!

I don't think teams really ever recover from a pick six, a punt block on the 15 yard line, and a kickoff return for a TD all in the SAME game. Zona scored a couple of real offensive TDs. Meh.
But these things DID happen. Iowa did not win. Did they beat themselves, maybe.

I've heard a lot of excuses for losing, the refs, a bad call, an unexpected rash of turnovers/penalties, a team being stricken with illness/injury, all which can be bona fide reasons for a superior team to lose to a lesser team. But the weather? Did not Arizona play in the same 100 degree heat as Iowa, or was it 40 degrees cooler on their side of the ball. That is the lamest excuse I ever heard.

But these things DID happen. Iowa did not win. Did they beat themselves, maybe.

I've heard a lot of excuses for losing, the refs, a bad call, an unexpected rash of turnovers/penalties, a team being stricken with illness/injury, all which can be bona fide reasons for a superior team to lose to a lesser team. But the weather? Did not Arizona play in the same 100 degree heat as Iowa, or was it 40 degrees cooler on their side of the ball. That is the lamest excuse I ever heard.

He's not saying that those things didn't happen. The poster who he was responding to was saying that obviously, since Arizona took over on the last two real series, they were the better team. Arizona was better on that night, but if we played them 10 times, they don't win more than 4.

Arizona for sure...no way Iowa shoots themselves in the foot like that again. Everybody excluding Arizona fans should be able to see that Iowa was and is the better team but they just made too many uncharacteristic mistakes that ONE game. Iowa will beat them by at least 10 points if they were to play again especially if it were on a neutral field.

Not trying to ruffle any feathers with anybody but seriously...It's obvious why Iowa lost that game. Iowa is still the better team and Arizona fans no matter how delusional know that they got a huge jolt that night from Iowa's own hands. Say whatever you want but if you deny that then you didn't watch the game all the way through.

Last edited:
I refer you again to Nebraska's offensive coordinator Shawn Watson. If he says you're an option team, I'll take his word for it.

Actually this is NOT Watson's offense (he is a West Coast guy, see CU and NU pre 2009), and it is "multiple."

So, now, in year number three, are we starting to see the vestiges of what Pelini’s “multiple” offense looks like?

So This Is What “Multiple” Looks Like - Husker Football

And it's not conjecture, Norm Parker owns ALL offenses. That's a fact

Not so much. The last 2 times Parker faced an NU offense his D gave up 42 points per (1999-2000), and......

2006 Iowa Hawkeyes football team - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Actually this is NOT Watson's offense (he is a West Coast guy, see CU and NU pre 2009), and it is "multiple."

So, now, in year number three, are we starting to see the vestiges of what Pelini’s “multipleâ€￾ offense looks like?

So This Is What “Multipleâ€￾ Looks Like - Husker Football

Not so much. The last 2 times Parker faced an NU offense his D gave up 42 points per (1999-2000), and......

2006 Iowa Hawkeyes football team - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here we go again, a Nebraska fan talking about Nebraska beating Iowa during the rebuilding period when The Ferentz took over our program. It never gets old. Yes, that means you will beat us when we play you again. Just like how winning all those national championships back in the 90's makes you good now.

Oh, and maybe you should read your own article buddy...
Quoted directly from the article you linked:

"What About Identity?
So, Nebraska might truly have a pick-your-poison multiple style of offense that Pelini has always wanted. But is that an identity? Do find identity, cut things down to their basic essence, their core fundamental. For Nebraska, that is the read option. Offensive coordinator Shawn Watson said as much this week, calling Nebraska an “option teamâ€￾ and alluding to the fact that this is what Husker fans have wanted to see for years (I swear he wanted to follow that with ... “Are you not entertained!?â€￾)."

So, are you done yet?

Nebby! C'mon why would we fear having to play them? They would be of little concern to me in a bowl game. If we have a hard time stopping Denard next week then maybe I will be concerned...but until then I would assume like I have the last 8-9 years that Iowa would beat Nebraska and probably by a decent margin. Why do Nebby fans think that they are heads and shoulders above everybody still?

Last edited:
Here we go again, a Nebraska fan talking about Nebraska beating Iowa during the rebuilding period when The Ferentz took over our program. It never gets old. Yes, that means you will beat us when we play you again. Just like how winning all those national championships back in the 90's makes you good now.

Oh, and maybe you should read your own article buddy...
Quoted directly from the article you linked:

"What About Identity?
So, Nebraska might truly have a pick-your-poison multiple style of offense that Pelini has always wanted. But is that an identity? Do find identity, cut things down to their basic essence, their core fundamental. For Nebraska, that is the read option. Offensive coordinator Shawn Watson said as much this week, calling Nebraska an “option team” and alluding to the fact that this is what Husker fans have wanted to see for years (I swear he wanted to follow that with ... “Are you not entertained!?”)."

So, are you done yet?
1. This is Bo's offense, and Martinez is Bo's qb, not Watson's.

2. Read the last line-- "So Nebraska is a “multiple” offense, defined by the option play. At least for now."

So what are we arguing here, semantics? The simple fact is that this offense is not the same as GT's or the NU offenses of the 90's, which was the root of this discussion.

Last edited:
1. This is Bo's offense, and Martinez is Bo's qb, not Watson's.

2. Read the last line-- "So Nebraska is a “multipleâ€￾ offense, defined by the option play. At least for now."

So what are we arguing here, semantics? The simple fact is that this offense is not the same as GT's or the NU offenses of the 90's, which was the root of this discussion.

Whatever skro. I never said it's the same offense as GT's or NU's offenses of the 90's. The root of the discussion was you said Nebraska doesn't have an option offense, I said it does. I'll repeat what Whammer said:
"DEFINED BY THE OPTION PLAY"
How are you still arguing this?

Arizona for sure...no way Iowa shoots themselves in the foot like that again. Everybody excluding Arizona fans should be able to see that Iowa was and is the better team but they just made too many uncharacteristic mistakes that ONE game. Iowa will beat them by at least 10 points if they were to play again especially if it were on a neutral field.

Not trying to ruffle any feathers with anybody but seriously...It's obvious why Iowa lost that game. Iowa is still the better team and Arizona fans no matter how delusional know that they got a huge jolt that night from Iowa's own hands. Say whatever you want but if you deny that then you didn't watch the game all the way through.

Sorry, but I have to insist that Iowa was not the better team that day. Are you not going to give AZ ANY CREDIT for forcing the mistakes? I will give you the pick 6 as a mistake that Iowa made completely independent of any superior AZ effort, but take that away and it's still a tie game.

I do not buy into the notion that Iowa just shot themselves in the foot to lose. I give the Wildcats credit for:
Blocking a punt
Blocking that extra point
Returning a kick for a TD
Going the length of the field and scoring against Iowa to take the lead late
Sacking Stanzi 3 times in a row to prevent

You have to give AZ plenty of credit for winning that game. It isn't like we spotted them 20 points....they earned 13 of them. Honestly, if the game was played in Iowa, we probably win easily. But I can't deal in hypotheticals when I have real results in front of me. Iowa played a sloppy game, but the better team won that night.

That being said, again, I would LOVE to play them again and kick their butts.

Latest posts