Nebraska could very well end up 14-4 in Conference play

It's always easy to predict that you'll miss the point.
make better points or be better at making the ones you are trying to relay. You're point of this thread was that Miles, who currently is at 11 wins *might* surpass Fran's best season of 12. Something that hasn't even happened yet. Not to mention that even with a 14-4 record, they are on the bubble. No wins of significance - I make the point that Miles is terrible and has been terrible for some time and your point back was that's because Nebraska has expectations? .....

and I'm easy to predict?

what was wrong with Iowa's schedule the past few years, they played a lot of good teams and beat a lot of good teams? ....and doesn't every program want to mask itself with good players? Isn't that kind of the point? I don't claim to have any knowledge of sound basketball so that's honestly why I am asking.
We have an atrocious non-conference schedule this year. Horribly weak and we still lost too many non-conference games.

I dunno about that. Basically everyone at Nebraska agreed that their AD was a total moron and that's why they fired him. Tim Miles has had two good seasons in 6 years and this year's success is against the bottom feeders of the Big Ten. They have zero wins against the top 3 teams and 1 win vs the top 7 teams in the conference. Lets not throw up a bronze statue just yet.
Exactly. That program fires morons. We keep ours (Gutless Gary). Miles turned it around THIS season. If he doesn't keep it at a high level, the new AD will fire Tim Miles sooner, rather than later. IMO. I'd almost be willing to bet that Tim Miles gets fired by their AD before Gutless Gary fires Fran. Quick fixes are great but I question whether or not he could keep going that route with success. The fact that he made that move, shows that he didn't have much choice because the pressure to win was there. That's something that isn't present at Iowa. Which is why our basketball program has circled the toilet for the past 25 years.

Exactly. That program fires morons. We keep ours (Gutless Gary). Miles turned it around THIS season. If he doesn't keep it at a high level, the new AD will fire Tim Miles sooner, rather than later. IMO. I'd almost be willing to bet that Tim Miles gets fired by their AD before Gutless Gary fires Fran. Quick fixes are great but I question whether or not he could keep going that route with success. The fact that he made that move, shows that he didn't have much choice because the pressure to win was there. That's something that isn't present at Iowa. Which is why our basketball program has circled the toilet for the past 25 years.
This is exactly it. Nebraska is a football school. Half their alums are Creighton fans. Yet they cared enough about basketball to force their coach to bring in grad transfers to show immediate improvement. Iowa fans apparently just don't give a F.

make better points or be better at making the ones you are trying to relay. You're point of this thread was that Miles, who currently is at 11 wins *might* surpass Fran's best season of 12. Something that hasn't even happened yet. Not to mention that even with a 14-4 record, they are on the bubble. No wins of significance - I make the point that Miles is terrible and has been terrible for some time and your point back was that's because Nebraska has expectations? .....

and I'm easy to predict?
Really? You got that from the OP did you? :confused:

This is exactly it. Nebraska is a football school. Half their alums are Creighton fans. Yet they cared enough about basketball to force their coach to bring in grad transfers to show immediate improvement. Iowa fans apparently just don't give a F.
At least somebody gets it. Thanks.

Well it's pretty hard to get. Nebraska finally puts together one good season and it's because they just now decided to care? Did you attribute the 2015 football season to the athletic department finally deciding to care?

I always got what you were saying. Fran obviously prefers to develop his players vs transfers. His transfers have been colossal disasters...Dale Jones, Trey Dickerson...yikes. I remember a few years back BTN had a show where a bunch of coaches met for dinner and talked basketball and Fran ripped the transfer rules right in Dana Altman and Lon Krugers faces. Fran clearly hates transfers.

However, nobody including Fran, can deny that Iowa needs immediate senior leadership next year in the form of a grad-transfer.

Anybody with any knowledge of sound basketball wouldn't say that. Iowa has had some atrocious symptoms that were masked by scheduling and a couple of really good players.

Well my guess is Nebraska having a good this year is because they got a couple good players. Some people think it's because they just now decided to care.

Also, it should be noted that Tim Miles got incredibly lucky that James Palmer turned out the way he did. He SUCKED at Miami, then transferred to Nebraska, sat out a year, and now he's an all conference player.

Similar is true about Copeland. He had a terrible Junior season at Georgetown so he grad transferred to Nebraska and is now a 13/6 player.

Well it's pretty hard to get. Nebraska finally puts together one good season and it's because they just now decided to care? Did you attribute the 2015 football season to the athletic department finally deciding to care?
Yeah. I wasn't talking to you. You don't get it.

Also, it should be noted that Tim Miles got incredibly lucky that James Palmer turned out the way he did. He SUCKED at Miami, then transferred to Nebraska, sat out a year, and now he's an all conference player.

Similar is true about Copeland. He had a terrible Junior season at Georgetown so he grad transferred to Nebraska and is now a 13/6 player.
Their current record very well might be the work of an easy schedule against what's probably one of the poorest BIG conferences that I can ever recall. Of course, knowing that we are only able to muster 3 wins against what is the poorest BIG conferences that I can ever recall.....doesn't make me feel any better. Especially when you consider we've bee blown out 8 times in conference play.
If we are the snake's belly in the deep ditch, how far can we expect to climb? Realistically?

I dunno about that. Basically everyone at Nebraska agreed that their AD was a total moron and that's why they fired him. Tim Miles has had two good seasons in 6 years and this year's success is against the bottom feeders of the Big Ten. They have zero wins against the top 3 teams and 1 win vs the top 7 teams in the conference. Lets not throw up a bronze statue just yet.
Can we throw up a straw man statue instead?

Their current record very well might be the work of an easy schedule against what's probably one of the poorest BIG conferences that I can ever recall. Of course, knowing that we are only able to muster 3 wins against what is the poorest BIG conferences that I can ever recall.....doesn't make me feel any better. Especially when you consider we've bee blown out 8 times in conference play.
If we are the snake's belly in the deep ditch, how far can we expect to climb? Realistically?

Look no further than Minnesota. 2 years ago they went 2-16 in the Big Ten. Last year they added Freshman Amir Coffey and junior transfer Reggie Lynch and went 24-9 (11-7 in the Big Ten) and earned a 5-seed in the tournament. Things can turn around in a hurry in college bball.

If Wieskamp can provide offense and Fran can find a grad transfer (or two) who can provide defense and ball handling...suddenly Iowa is a much better team. The transfer thing is a huge if though. They can be crapshoots and Fran obviously doesn't like how the transfer system works.

I’m just betting that if Miles and the CornCarers would have had the same records as Iowa of
12-6
12-6
10-8

instead of
5-13
6-12
6-12

the last 3 years in the B1G that the point of this thread that Nebraska cares so much more about winning — never mind. Nothing about it would change.

The relevant point is that with a conference that is down, Fran didn’t have the team ready to take advantage of it.

No excuses of injuries, inexperience, or roster makeup carry weight for this wasted season. None.

It’s make the NCAAs and win a game or get looking for another job. “No hard feelings. Thanks for bringing Iowa MBB out of the Lickbyss.”

That will save Patrick a year from a redshirt transfer and the next coach can have a couple of scholarships open.

None of that is going to happen. But it should.

Look no further than Minnesota. 2 years ago they went 2-16 in the Big Ten. Last year they added Freshman Amir Coffey and junior transfer Reggie Lynch and went 24-9 (11-7 in the Big Ten) and earned a 5-seed in the tournament. Things can turn around in a hurry in college bball.

If Wieskamp can provide offense and Fran can find a grad transfer (or two) who can provide defense and ball handling...suddenly Iowa is a much better team. The transfer thing is a huge if though. They can be crapshoots and Fran obviously doesn't like how the transfer system works.

It's easy to explain what happened in Minnesota. Two years ago, no one care about winning. Then last year, they decided to care about winning. Now this year they don't care again.

Imagine how much easier that game in Minnesota last year would have been if they didn't decide to care about winning. We would have killed them and made the tourney instead of getting screwed at the end.

They are 11-4 with games @ ILL and Home against Indiana and PSU. The last time Iowa finished with 14 BIG wins? 1987.
I just want to let everyone know that I dug out an old tote the other day and I came across a poster from the 86-87 team. I can't remember the player but he was in armor, and the caption read, "Sir Slam-a-Lot", or something like that. The team and even the managers were in this poster. Anyone else remember that?

Oh, and good for Nebraska. My bro-in-law said Miles was coaching to keep his job. Anyway, whatever that's worth

for the billionth time Barta is NOT firing Fran in any shape or form - this year, next year, in 5 years. They hire a different guy to do that, just like Nebraska did. And if Nebraska had the success Iowa has had in hoops the last 25 years, they'd build a statue of him out in front of that new stadium.

for the billionth time Barta is NOT firing Fran in any shape or form - this year, next year, in 5 years. They hire a different guy to do that, just like Nebraska did. And if Nebraska had the success Iowa has had in hoops the last 25 years, they'd build a statue of him out in front of that new stadium.
You misunderstood me. Gutless Gary Barta IS the moron I want fired. Fire that moron and the new AD will settle the Fran situation soon enough.