Nebraska Basketball gave their students one half of the floor seats!!

Our students wont show up regardless. Might as well give the good seats to the blue hairs who can help contribute towards Frans buyout

It will take a culture change to get the students showing up again in good numbers that I don't foresee happening. This athletic department just doesn't operate like normal athletic departments you see around other power five programs and it gets down to the fact that the powers who run things don't really care about athletics nor the fans and the students. Case in point look at the totally different atmosphere we saw in Lincoln tonight for a bottom feeder opponent. They do basketball right over there from the design of the arena to giving their students priority courtside seating. I wish our blue hairs would demand some accountability for the money they give to our athletic programs but they seem content to just go along for the ride.

That's a brand new facility so I'm sure right from the start they got the students front and center. All a person can hope for is some changes will be made in the near future. Wonder how they get their students to show up? Don't tell me it's because they are good because that hasn't been the case. I did hear the comment that the fusker coach is a very likeable guy and interacts with them. Now that's something we don't have.

That's a brand new facility so I'm sure right from the start they got the students front and center. All a person can hope for is some changes will be made in the near future. Wonder how they get their students to show up? Don't tell me it's because they are good because that hasn't been the case. I did hear the comment that the fusker coach is a very likeable guy and interacts with them. Now that's something we don't have.
If you give the students good seats and make them feel like they are a key part of the home environment, they'll show up. All you have to do is look at Nebraska. They have been garbage in basketball since their existence. Now they have tons of students show up and make noise and you want me to believe it's a coincidence? Their students care more about a garbage program than Iowa students care about a program with history? Bullshit!
Give the students a sense of ownership and they'll show up and support the program. Treat them like 2nd class citizens and they'll stay home and get drunk!

It will take a culture change to get the students showing up again in good numbers that I don't foresee happening. This athletic department just doesn't operate like normal athletic departments you see around other power five programs and it gets down to the fact that the powers who run things don't really care about athletics nor the fans and the students. Case in point look at the totally different atmosphere we saw in Lincoln tonight for a bottom feeder opponent. They do basketball right over there from the design of the arena to giving their students priority courtside seating. I wish our blue hairs would demand some accountability for the money they give to our athletic programs but they seem content to just go along for the ride.

I've been to enough football and basketball games over the last 5 years to realize our students just don't care. When I was a student if you got to Kinnick in the 2nd quarter you'd either have to force your way into a seat or stand at the top of the stadium. Todays student section never fills...ever. Why give premium seats to those who don't deserve it? When I went to Iowa we didnt get great basketball seats and we still showed up every single night.

Face the facts...the students don't care and the administration doesn't care. meanwhile the school rakes in $50,000,000 a year from tv rights. Its the cold reality we live in.

In the big picture with Nebraska I think they made a commitment to basketball when they joined the Big Ten with the coaching change, getting the new arena online, etc. The students seem to have bought in and Miles appears to have that program going in the right direction after an up and down start when he took over. We only seem committed to keeping the revenues flowing and if we happen to have success in athletics then so much the better. The way the contract extension with Fran went down tells me we have no changes forthcoming.

If you give the students good seats and make them feel like they are a key part of the home environment, they'll show up. All you have to do is look at Nebraska. They have been garbage in basketball since their existence. Now they have tons of students show up and make noise and you want me to believe it's a coincidence? Their students care more about a garbage program than Iowa students care about a program with history? Bullshit!
Give the students a sense of ownership and they'll show up and support the program. Treat them like 2nd class citizens and they'll stay home and get drunk!
That's why I asked what the fuskers were doing to get the students to show up. Honest question. What does Fran do to promote his team? I really don't know so maybe somebody could help me out. Not trying to be a smart ass just trying to figure out some things.

That's why I asked what the fuskers were doing to get the students to show up. Honest question. What does Fran do to promote his team? I really don't know so maybe somebody could help me out. Not trying to be a smart ass just trying to figure out some things.
They gave the students great seats. That's it and that's all. I know that I won't bother making the effort to go to games for shitty seats. I won't buy shitty seats per game or on a season ticket basis. If my choice is to sit behind the basket or stay home, I'll stay home. If you give me good seats, I'll show up. If you don't hit me with your knitting needles, while telling me to sit down, I might even cheer.

I've been to enough football and basketball games over the last 5 years to realize our students just don't care. When I was a student if you got to Kinnick in the 2nd quarter you'd either have to force your way into a seat or stand at the top of the stadium. Todays student section never fills...ever. Why give premium seats to those who don't deserve it? When I went to Iowa we didnt get great basketball seats and we still showed up every single night.

Face the facts...the students don't care and the administration doesn't care. meanwhile the school rakes in $50,000,000 a year from tv rights. Its the cold reality we live in.
That's not the reality in Nebraska though, is it? I wonder why?

You can play all of the guessing games you want. You can try to blame anything but the administration.
Nebraska basketball tradition < Iowa basketball tradition.
The same age groups attend Nebraska that attend Iowa.
Ticket prices cost roughly the same.
Attendance is roughly the same at each University.
Nebraska's stadium seats more than Iowa's.
Nebraska gives their students choice seats and Iowa doesn't.
Nebraska's students show up and Iowa's doesn't.
end/

They gave the students great seats. That's it and that's all. I know that I won't bother making the effort to go to games for shitty seats. I won't buy shitty seats per game or on a season ticket basis. If my choice is to sit behind the basket or stay home, I'll stay home. If you give me good seats, I'll show up. If you don't hit me with your knitting needles, while telling me to sit down, I might even cheer.
Glad I wasn't taking a drink when I read that post. OMGOODNESS!

That's not the reality in Nebraska though, is it? I wonder why?

You wonder why? It's because they built a brand new stadium 4 years ago. Its because one of tim miles stated goals was to engage and energize the fan base and he spends a lot of time and effort on it.

Would I like to see Iowa and Fran do something similar? Of course. Would barta take away the premium seats and hand them to students at a discounted rate? Get real...look where he moved the students for football games.

Also you may not realize it on tv, but Nebraska's main student section is actually behind one of the baskets.

Also, Minnesota's student section is behind one of the baskets and they're one of the loudest and craziest student sections in the big ten. Where you put the students doesnt make them louder and more engaged.

Reactions: ISC
despite what the OP thinks, having students seated court side will not make this team suddenly play defense. Despite what some think, we as fans, even loud fans seated court side have little to no effect on the outcome of a game.

You wonder why? It's because they built a brand new stadium 4 years ago. Its because one of tim miles stated goals was to engage and energize the fan base and he spends a lot of time and effort on it.

Would I like to see Iowa and Fran do something similar? Of course. Would barta take away the premium seats and hand them to students at a discounted rate? Get real...look where he moved the students for football games.
It's because they gave them FLOOR SEATS!!!!!! You're willfully ignorant on this.

despite what the OP thinks, having students seated court side will not make this team suddenly play defense. Despite what some think, we as fans, even loud fans seated court side have little to no effect on the outcome of a game.
You got reading problems, huh? This thread had nothing to do with how students on the floor could make this team play better. I have no idea how you extracted that theory from what was posted.

Latest posts