Nebraska and Iowa State bowl chances

HawkeyeDenis

Nebraska and Iowa State had their opening games canceled. Then they both lost their second game (actual opening game). So now they have to win 6 of their next 10 games to get a bowl bid. Unless the NCAA allows them to get bowl bids with 5 wins. But given their schedules even 5 wins is going to be tough.

Iowa St will be underdogs against OU, TCU, WVA, and OSU at least. If Iowa's defense is just that good then maybe ISU can score more points in Big 12 games, not sure, but if ISU drops those 4 games they have very little room for error. KSTate at home, and who knows if they can beat Texas, Baylor, TTech.

I would think they would want to try to get a 12th game at home for parking and concessions but maybe not possible. Nebby sure isnt going to play in Ames like someone mentioned.

I can see 4 wins for Nebby. Illinois, Troy State, Purdue and Minnesota. Purdue and Minnesota are not automatic wins, just probable. That leaves Nebraska having to get two more wins.

Iowa State has a rougher road. They will probably be 1-3 in September. That leaves them with 7 games to pick up 5 wins.

I think ISU and Nebraska will find themselves in the same spot that FSU was in last year.

The FSU Louisiana-Monroe game was canceled do to Hurricane Irma making landfall, FSU at first had no or little intention of rescheduling it. Then they started coming up short in the win column, FSU rescheduled the game to get to bowl eligibility.

I can see 4 wins for Nebby. Illinois, Troy State, Purdue and Minnesota. Purdue and Minnesota are not automatic wins, just probable. That leaves Nebraska having to get two more wins.

Iowa State has a rougher road. They will probably be 1-3 in September. That leaves them with 7 games to pick up 5 wins.
Might not even pick up a win at Akron. It's not a gimme, especially if they are down a QB. Any word on that yet?

I think ISU and Nebraska will find themselves in the same spot that FSU was in last year.

The FSU Louisiana-Monroe game was canceled do to Hurricane Irma making landfall, FSU at first had no or little intention of rescheduling it. Then they started coming up short in the win column, FSU rescheduled the game to get to bowl eligibility.
Akron was in the MAC title game last year, weren't they? If they are even in the hunt for the title game, no way they'll allow a rescheduling.

I would still give the edge to Iowa State over Akron. Even if their QB is out, they have some good athletes.

Rescheduling would be tough. The teams would all have to have corresponding open dates. That's if they reschedule the same teams. And to find a different opponent now the season has started is almost impossible. One possibility is to add a game at the end of the year. But to get a team to add a game the first week of December?

Nebraska would have a better chance if they rescheduled the Zipps at the end of the year. But then....Why would the Zipps do it? Particularly if they think the will lose the game. The only reason would be is if it's in the original contract.

Iowa State even with adding another game would have trouble making a bowl. Making a bowl this year was always an outside chance for them. They would still need to win 5 games out of 8 with an added game vice 5 of 7.

Nebraska is just a little over a TD favorite at home against Troy fwiw - I am guessing their QB is out

Nebraska is just a little over a TD favorite at home against Troy fwiw - I am guessing their QB is out

I'm a Troy grad and I doubt Troy's chances against Nebraska. Even with Nebraska's freshman QB out. Troy was a powerhouse when they were in the lower division, but they have haven't done much since they moved up a division.

I'm a Troy grad and I doubt Troy's chances against Nebraska. Even with Nebraska's freshman QB out. Troy was a powerhouse when they were in the lower division, but they have haven't done much since they moved up a division.

If they lose to Troy, they are in for a real long year, that said - they are celebrating losing to Colorado, so anything is possible.

Iowa St will be underdogs against OU, TCU, WVA, and OSU at least. If Iowa's defense is just that good then maybe ISU can score more points in Big 12 games, not sure, but if ISU drops those 4 games they have very little room for error. KSTate at home, and who knows if they can beat Texas, Baylor, TTech.

I would think they would want to try to get a 12th game at home for parking and concessions but maybe not possible. Nebby sure isnt going to play in Ames like someone mentioned.

They already made their money on parking, everybody was in the stadium before it was cancelled. Concessions...meh.

Didn't Troy beat LSU last year? Or was that someone else?

Latest posts