NDSU's game plan

HawkeyeTech

I would bet that the Bison have spent a portion of every practice this year working on the game plan for Iowa. Sure, they had two tough games before the Hawks, but they knew which game was more important nationally. They could use a part of a few practices to game plan for Charleston Southern and Eastern Washington, but they had to believe they would still win or be competitive regardless. They also have a bye coming up this week. This was their Super Bowl, and their preparedness for Iowa showed in the game.

The Hawks, OTOH, looked at it as just another game, and one they should win. Big mistake.

Also says a lot that their MLB stud put off surgery until after the Iowa game. They had to know the first week it would require surgery.

I saw a segment on Sports Center (I think) last night in which they they interviewed the NDSU players that I thought was awesome. It focused on their mindset, how they view FCS vs. FBS. It was very insightful and I came away very impressed with them.

I saw a segment on Sports Center (I think) last night in which they they interviewed the NDSU players that I thought was awesome. It focused on their mindset, how they view FCS vs. FBS. It was very insightful and I came away very impressed with them.

and....?

I would bet that the Bison have spent a portion of every practice this year working on the game plan for Iowa. Sure, they had two tough games before the Hawks, but they knew which game was more important nationally. They could use a part of a few practices to game plan for Charleston Southern and Eastern Washington, but they had to believe they would still win or be competitive regardless. They also have a bye coming up this week. This was their Super Bowl, and their preparedness for Iowa showed in the game.

The Hawks, OTOH, looked at it as just another game, and one they should win. Big mistake.

Actually, beating Iowa really meant nothing to NDSU in the big picture. If they had lost to Charleston Southern and Eastern Washington, it probably would have cost them a shot at making the playoffs and winning a 6th straight championship.

I don't think it would have cost them a shot losing either one of the first two games; if they win the MO Valley with a conference loss they are going to the playoffs.

It will be interesting to see what happens with a fourth consecutive difficult game as they host ILL ST.

Actually, beating Iowa really meant nothing to NDSU in the big picture. If they had lost to Charleston Southern and Eastern Washington, it probably would have cost them a shot at making the playoffs and winning a 6th straight championship.

It meant everything to them. Both teams had injuries. One team was supposed to be deeper and isn't/wasn't. Don't forget EIU has more impact quarterbacks in the NFL than does Iowa (2) though now hurt.

It meant everything to them. Both teams had injuries. One team was supposed to be deeper and isn't/wasn't. Don't forget EIU has more impact quarterbacks in the NFL than does Iowa (2) though now hurt.
How many impact quarterbacks does Alabama have in the NFL?

False. Their Gary Dolphin said before the game that it would be the biggest win in program history, counting all 5 championship games.

You could tell by the interview with the sideline reporter at halftime. The NDSU coach could smell blood in the water, he knew he had Iowa on the ropes.

You could tell by the interview with the sideline reporter at halftime. The NDSU coach could smell blood in the water, he knew he had Iowa on the ropes.
Iowa certainly did a lot to put themselves on the ropes. Doesn't matter though, Iowa lost. That will not change. They can either turn this around this week, or let it get the best of them like the 2010 team did.

Basically based on the segment; NDSU's take on playing BCS competition was nothing more than they're still playing 11 on 11 at the end of the day. They didn't see themselves coming into Iowa City as a inferior program and took it as an opportunity to play in a big game atmosphere.
They basically don't see the scholarship difference as an issue and play with a "man up man down" philosophy and don't see the scholarship limitations as an issue. They were very confident in their program and abilities.

Whether I believe it or not it was portrayed in the way they played on Saturday.

This every team we play it's their Super Bowl talk makes us look dumb. The better team Saturday won

Part of NDSU's game plan I'm sure was to hope for Iowa to self-destruct and that part happened to great success-17 mental errors as tallied by Iowa.

This every team we play it's their Super Bowl talk makes us look dumb. The better team Saturday won

Maybe if we took a step back and forgot the superbowl, but from a coaching and players perspective thought of it as a playoff game then we'd stop looking so flat and play with a fire that next weeks game has a purpose.

This is the difference between FBS and FCS. NDSU is going to make the playoffs regardless of how well they prepared for other FCS games because they are that good, so they could concentrate solely on Iowa. Beating Top 15 ranked Iowa is a feather is a feather in their cap no one can take away. If they had lost one or even both of their earlier games (I would be willing to bet they would have won both easily had they prepared like they did for Iowa), they have the bye week then they still have the conference schedule to earn their way in. And a win over Iowa will put them in the catbird seat come playoff selection time.

Agreed. It sure looked on Saturday that we played our "superbowl" the week before. We need to bounce back and win the next 2, and then get is done in the house of horrors up north.

Despite all the warnings available, the Hawks were not ready for NDSU's intensity. I am fairly certain that we respected them and did not take them lightly, but it must have been dificult not to assume a victory no matter what. The bison were prepared and determined every second of the game and we were not.

As the game went on, the frustration became more and more evident among the Hawks. CJ was especially frustrated. The two dropped passes in a row the first half and the bad hike in the second half appeared to irritate him drastically. The bad hike certainly came at the most unfortunate time. It was third and three at the NDSU 36 yard line. CJ couldn't handle the hike and lost about 10 yards on the play. Punt and the bison drive for the TD ensued.

I don't imagine it would be difficult to punish the Scarlet Knights for the unfortunate setback.

dark-souls.jpg

Latest posts