ND and Texas NOT on Big 11's List

why must it be a joke? Because besides UT and ND there can't possibly be a decent enough team to join from 15 candidates?

No joke, ND and TX are terrible choices for expansion for a lot of reasons not to mention that ND is not interested and while TX's athletic dept maybe interested for $ reasons I highly doubt that anyone else in TX is.

I've thought all along it could be three & my guesses are:

Missouri
Nebraska
Pittsburgh

The only thing with Nebraska is that it is not a huge TV market & may not add a lot for the conference, at least, what the Big 10 is looking for. It could be in football if they get back to their 1980's form. Than could pay dividends.

Rutgers. No school, that the Big Ten is thinking of offering, has more TVs within a 100 mile radius than Rutgers. For that matter, I don't think that there is a team in the country that has more television sets within a 100 mile radius!

It's all about the Big Ten network and $. The other reasons are a distance 2nd, 3rd, etc...

They could kickoff the introduction of Rutgers, with Iowa vs. Rutgers @ Yankee stadium(there has been talk of Iowa playing in Manhattan already, they might as well as make it an official event). New York would know the Big Ten is in town when the Hawkeye fanbase shows up. They might not like it, but they won't soon forget!

Last edited:
They could kickoff the introduction of Rutgers, with Iowa vs. Rutgers @ Yankee stadium(there has been talk of Iowa playing in Manhattan already, they might as well as make it an official event). New York would know the Big Ten is in town when the Hawkeye fanbase shows up. They might not like it, but they won't soon forget!

I am sure they would love a bunch of overweight people wearing sneakers and ball caps clogging the sidewalk because they are staring up at the buildings.

If Manhattan hosted any Big 10 team, it would be Penn St., Ohio St., or Michigan.

Rutgers. No school, that the Big Ten is thinking of offering, has more TVs within a 100 mile radius than Rutgers. For that matter, I don't think that there is a team in the country that has more television sets within a 100 mile radius!

It's all about the Big Ten network and $. The other reasons are a distance 2nd, 3rd, etc...

Very true about the TV's, only problem is they are all turned to watch something else.

I think 2 east coast schools and one midwest would make a lot of sense.

Adding Rutgers and Pitt would give the B10 a legitimate presence on the East Coast opening up major media markets in the process. Having three schools in that area makes the B10 the dominant conference on the east coast (at least in terms of football) as well as the midwest and rust belt. This would also greatly benefit the two schools. It's really a win win for everyone involved.

Adding Missouri would also make sense in this regard as it is almost as much a Southern state as it is a Midwestern state. It also brings with it the media markets of St Louis and KC.

Really all you have to do is sit down and look at what schools bring the most money to the table for the conference and what schools would gain the most by joining.

I think adding any east coast school makes no sense at all....that is not "Big 10 country".

Assuming Notre Dame isn't happening, my top choice would be Nebraska. Not a big TV market but they are in Big 10 country, have a national reputation in football, and have "tradition" that best fits into the Big 10.

If it's not ND, it is dilution, and I am uninterested

If it doesn't blow up the current BCS, then I am not interested.

Which was why Texas was so interesting to think about.

Whoever we pick, let's make sure the focus is on our conference and not on the SEC or 12Pac. I hate them so much, it's like... flames... flames up the side of my face...

The Big Ten hired a firm to evaluate schools. ND and Texas don't need to be evaluated--they are automatics.

It doesn't say ND isn't on the list. it only says he doesn't see them joining.

I wonder if the Big 10 would try to foce ND by adding 2 teams that they play anually in football. Though I don't know how well Navy would fit but Pitt is already a school we are looking at.

Getting 2 teams they play on board you can then tell them either join or you don't play against the Big 10 anymore. That would hurt them in a lot of ways. They could still play USC, & Standford in the non-conference schedule and they still have the 2 other non-conference games to choose from.

I don't see how the divisions could be split up reasonably though. it would be breautal in half of the conference trying to keep rivalrys.

I thought the Big Ten wants to keep travelling costs down. Bringing Texas into the Big Ten would only increase travelling costs for everyone.

The furthest Big Twelve school from Austin is probably closer to Austin than the nearest Big Ten school.

Bringing Texas into the Big Ten makes little sense from geographical and cost management standpoints.

Latest posts