ND Absolves Itself

FrozenMadman

ND finds nobody at fault in the death of the student on the lift filming football practice. Incredible. So many things are wrong with this conclusion on so many levels that it is hard to fathom it.

I wish there was a death penalty for a university. This institution is the poster child for the need for such a sentence.

For all the clowns who want this half *** intitution in the B10, I say FU.

A university absolving itself from any wrong doing... why does that sound eerily familiar to me?

I love the excuse of the weather information. So you have a sheet of paper that says it is only blowing 20 mph, but you are standing outside for hours and don't notice that it is blowing you over? Did nobody say, "hey this is really windy, maybe we shouldn't have a kid 40 ft in the air to film a practice." Would you stand in the rain too and say that since the weather guy said it isn't supposed to rain it must not be raining?

Last edited:
A university absolving itself from any wrong doing... why does that sound eerily familiar to me?

And there it is. That sure didn't take long. Yup, 13 football players being pushed and pushing themselves a little too far in a workout is exactly the same thing as a coach forcing someone to stand 40 ft in the air in 50 mph winds.

I read this yesterday on ESPN and couldn't believe it. It was a terrible situation but one that could of easily been avoided if the coach was smart enough to use his indoor practice facility as opposed to forcing his team to practice outside. I can't believe that Kelly has stayed clean during this whole situation, especially when he clearly had a say in whether they practiced inside or out.

And there it is. That sure didn't take long. Yup, 13 football players being pushed and pushing themselves a little too far in a workout is exactly the same thing as a coach forcing someone to stand 40 ft in the air in 50 mph winds.

Well I’m inclined to agree with the above….. I don’t like ND at ALL, but we had copious people berate US for not finding fault. Too me it’s a why go there thing…….

It makes us look hypocritical no matter how you spin it so why say anything at all.

Chad

edit...honestly we have had so many of our own off field issues, it would seem prudent to leave others alone, but maybe that's just me.

Well I’m inclined to agree with the above….. I don’t like ND at ALL, but we had copious people berate US for not finding fault. Too me it’s a why go there thing…….

It makes us look hypocritical no matter how you spin it so why say anything at all.

Chad

edit...honestly we have had so many of our own off field issues, it would seem prudent to leave others alone, but maybe that's just me.

Do you not understand the difference between somebody dying and the problems here? Is it really that hard to understand that they aren't on the same playing field? To say there is no fault in re-doing a workout that has been done before by hundreds of people is not in the same continent as sending a kid (who was afraid for his life, and rightfully so) up in the air on a day when any person with half a brain would think "hey, it is kinda windy today."

Chad

I have to agree that it gets old reading about people trying to bash someone else to make themselves look better but in this case the kid was told to go up in the scissor lift against his better judgement as he stated to friends or a roommate and then he died.
KF doesn't tell our players to go party but try to keep it quiet and then say it wasn't his fault later.
I've been in a scissor lift many times indoors and out and it is very easy to tell that high winds will put you in very serious danger.

Do you not understand the difference between somebody dying and the problems here? Is it really that hard to understand that they aren't on the same playing field? To say there is no fault in re-doing a workout that has been done before by hundreds of people is not in the same continent as sending a kid (who was afraid for his life, and rightfully so) up in the air on a day when any person with half a brain would think "hey, it is kinda windy today."
While I don't necessarily disagree with your statement, it is kind of the "pot and the kettle" thing.

What ND's coach did was horrible, but the amount of arrests and the rhabdo situtation at Iowa in the past few years were all alarming. Putting 13 players in the hospital for a voluntary:rolleyes: workout, some of whom have not fully recovered and could have lasting effects is very serious.

No offense, Hawk fans, I really don't want to stir the pot, but right now Iowa looks to be less than squeaky clean by most outsiders.

I have to agree that it gets old reading about people trying to bash someone else to make themselves look better but in this case the kid was told to go up in the scissor lift against his better judgement as he stated to friends or a roommate and then he died.
KF doesn't tell our players to go party but try to keep it quiet and then say it wasn't his fault later.
I've been in a scissor lift many times indoors and out and it is very easy to tell that high winds will put you in very serious danger.

Exactly. As hawkeye fans, we probably don't have a leg to stand on if we want to talk about DUI's or drug arrests or minor infractions and the penalties that follow with other schools, but this is NOTHING like anything that has happened anywhere else. The negligence was obvious to anyone that has stood outside on a windy day.

While I don't necessarily disagree with your statement, it is kind of the "pot and the kettle" thing.

What ND's coach did was horrible, but the amount of arrests and the rhabdo situtation at Iowa in the past few years were all alarming. Putting 13 players in the hospital for a voluntary:rolleyes: workout, some of whom have not fully recovered and could have lasting effects is very serious.

No offense, Hawk fans, I really don't want to stir the pot, but right now Iowa looks to be less than squeaky clean by most outsiders.

Is a thief a hypocrit if he calls out a murderer as a bad guy? They are both felons right?

Can you show me one example of one of the 13 saying that they didn't want to do the workout and then being forced to? All I have seen is the normal football player response that they wanted to push themselves as much as the coaches wanted to push them. Anyone that has ever played football would understand. Conditioning practices are hell, and I was told many times that if I wasn't puking I wasn't working hard enough.

Is a thief a hypocrit if he calls out a murderer as a bad guy? They are both felons right?

Can you show me one example of one of the 13 saying that they didn't want to do the workout and then being forced to? All I have seen is the normal football player response that they wanted to push themselves as much as the coaches wanted to push them. Anyone that has ever played football would understand. Conditioning practices are hell, and I was told many times that if I wasn't puking I wasn't working hard enough.

Did the kid ever actually tell Kelly that he didn't want to go up there? I don't think Kelly forced him to go up there, he just did the same thing he usually does and the coach didn't tell him not to go up there.

Calm down Chief, just pointing out the obvious hypocrisy.

Yes one death is worse than 13 being hospitalized, I agree with that completely, but you really shouldn't make light of what happened at Iowa either. 13 guys in a hospital for over a week with the possibility of lasting effects is nothing to scoff at.

Do you not understand the critics don't care.....?!?! I make a point not to get involved in things I can't really evluate fully. It's a good practice to use.

Chad

Last edited:
I guess I don't see where ND absolved themselves.

They say that the process they used was at fault. They have accepted blame. They just don't lay all of the blame on one person.

Some of you sound like if one specific person is not faulted then you think they are trying to skate on this. The president of the university took ultimate and fiull responsibility for what happened. Did you miss that?

No one at ND said there was no blame for this. They just didn't assign it all to one specific person. Many times things happen because of bad processes that are in place. This might be one of those. That doesn't mean there is no blame.

Go ahead and rip me. I hate ND as much as anyone. But nothing I said here is inaccurate, at least I don't think so. Tell me if I am wrong.

The truth is some people point fingers easily and revel is others misfortune and scapegoating. Someone asked is the thief a hypocrite if he calls the murderer bad?!?!

Well yes actually….that’s why there is no such thing as morality outside of a Supreme Orator of morality because we all decide selfishly what we think is bad or not.

We all say…..well yes I lied but I didn’t steal or Yes I stole but I didn’t molest or Yes I molested but I didn’t kill. In the eyes of God it is all bad and quite frankly it ALL starts with lying, pointing fingers and excusing.

We have no leg to stand on and I’m glad to see many of you in here get that. We are beginning to get a bad rep for going to others’ boards and talking crap when we have all we can handle right here. We should learn to leave well enuff alone.

Chad

Tell us something, genius. Ever operated one of those lifts before?
It tells you the maximum height and maximum wind conditions right on the side of it! RIGHT THERE ON THE MACHINE!
Ever do a squat workout? Show me where it tells you how many to do, or when too many have been done. Or where it explains how 97 players managed the excorcise without Rhabdo.
Dont bother responding. I doubt you are smart enough to operate that lift and you have most likely, never been to a gym in your life.

Latest posts